ISF: Espanyol 0-1 West Ham Utd (05/09/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: RCD Espanyol v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

happydaystoytown wrote:A lot of the time it's more about the midfield not making themselves available to the centre backs, leaving them no option but to lump it upfield.
A CB doesn't have to be good on the ball if he can pick out a simple pass.

Admittedly, Collins does tend get his head and look for the long one, maybe Noble needs to demand it more and really be our Pirlo.

There's got to be movement, giving the player in possession plenty of options to distribute.

That's what looks good about Morrison he's always on the move, wanting the ball.
You're answering your own question though. If Noble's the only viable short option (which he basically is) then it's fairly easy for the opposition to shut it down, hence hoof.

As you say Morrison could be the difference as he is so comfortable picking up the ball anywhere on the pitch and will give us a second passing option.

It's important to realise that he will at times give the ball away in dangerous areas though, I saw it last night just from those brief highlights where he tried a trick on the edge of our box and Espanyol nearly scored. We have to make allowances for that and not slate the kid if we want him to become the player we all hope he can be.

Joe Cole used to get slaughtered for doing **** like that and it ultimately stifled his development....
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Morocco Mole wrote:
You're answering your own question though. If Noble's the only viable short option (which he basically is) then it's fairly easy for the opposition to shut it down, hence hoof.

As you say Morrison could be the difference as he is so comfortable picking up the ball anywhere on the pitch and will give us a second passing option.

It's important to realise that he will at times give the ball away in dangerous areas though, I saw it last night just from those brief highlights where he tried a trick on the edge of our box and Espanyol nearly scored. We have to make allowances for that and not slate the kid if we want him to become the player we all hope he can be.

Joe Cole used to get slaughtered for doing **** like that and it ultimately stifled his development....
Trust me. Allardyce will have already discussed the incident where Morrison gave the ball away on the edge of the area. Allardyce is all about percentages. He's very happy to let his creative players play, but he wants them playing in sensible areas. That doesn't automatically mean that Collins has to launch it to the back of the 18 yard box, nor should it mean Morrison picking the ball up on the edge of the box. But I think currently the reason that Collins is keeping Tomkins out of the team is down to his blocking, heading and tackling ability. Tomkins does have the ability to be better at these aspects than Collins, but he let himself down when he had the chance to shine last year. This season, judging from last night and the Cheltenham game, he's in the right frame of mind to make the position his own (should it become available).

As RARS says though, there's no doubt that West Ham are a more attractive proposition with Tomkins in the side than Collins.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Joe Cole used to get slaughtered for doing **** like that and it ultimately stifled his development....[/quote]

I was trying to give credit to Noble as generally, when we do build from the back it's through Noble as the deep lying player, when I said demand it more, I didn't mean it should all go through him but to give the CBs more of an option, rather than just a punt.

A bit less predictability from all our midfield and a bit more total football.
happydaystoytown

oops, not sure how to do quotes within quotes.
Joey O'Irons

Post by Joey O'Irons »

I don't know if this has been posted already, but here are some highlights:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Great trip..cheers to all who travelled with me.

Good to see some old friends in the ground too :thup:

Hats off to the Barcelona Hammers and the Espanyol fans there...the Espanyol lot do more dances than strictly !!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:Hats off to the Barcelona Hammers and the Espanyol fans there...the Espanyol lot do more dances than strictly !!
Yep, our very own International Brigade did us proud :thup:

The only downside of the trip was the Guardia Uncivil who were rather too enthusiastic in their attempt to search us on the way in to the match

5,500 there, about 400 of our lot and I was 18 mins late getting into a game I had arrived at the ground 40 minutes before Ko and travelled over 250 miles to see .So to the Guiardia Civil , to whom I made some deeply unpleasent comments can I just say I meant every word .
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

happydaystoytown wrote:A lot of the time it's more about the midfield not making themselves available to the centre backs, leaving them no option but to lump it upfield.
I'd like to think that at the highest level all of our midfield knows how to find space and make themselves available. Its more likely Collins does exactly what BFS wants him to.Blocks, heads and gets it a zone upfield that BFS has asked him to asap.Hence Collins gets the nod over Tomkins.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:

The only downside of the trip was the Guardia Uncivil who were rather too enthusiastic in their attempt to search us on the way in to the match

5,500 there, about 400 of our lot and I was 18 mins late getting into a game I had arrived at the ground 40 minutes before Ko and travelled over 250 miles to see .So to the Guiardia Civil , to whom I made some deeply unpleasent comments can I just say I meant every word .
I told you to watch them mate...they are a law unto themselves

Glad you got back safe fella.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

happydaystoytown wrote:oops, not sure how to do quotes within quotes.
Like this?
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tomkins does have the ability to be better at these aspects than Collins, but he let himself down when he had the chance to shine last year.

Let himself down? Nonsense. Not getting a settled run of games in one position makes it difficult to hit top form, even so he did not make errors of the catastrophic scale as seen at Swansea or Reading which directly led to games being lost.
HammerItAndy

Post by HammerItAndy »

Morrison should be starting as attacking mid.
denzel

Post by denzel »

HammerItAndy wrote:Morrison should be starting as attacking mid.
Who would you drop, out of interest?
happydaystoytown

Like this?[/quote]

Show off :wink:
Wildy

Post by Wildy »

the pink palermo wrote:

Think I was outside next to you at that time...

Awful policing, I was grabbed walking in, chucked towards a sniffer dog.
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

Twats made me take my trainers off like I was entering an airport or something. I told 'em I hope they got the same reception when they go to Gibralter.
Ironchas
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Ironchas »

I had a full body search , however my shoes stayed on and I had to empty my pockets ,we was told we could leave 10 mins before the end or we would held back and then we started to leave the same steward said no , and he got a bollocking for changing his mind from our guy