COC3: West Ham Utd 3-2 Cardiff City (24/09/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: WEST HAM UNITED v Cardiff City - Capital One Cup 3rd Round

Post by hammerddh »

anyone else thought Chambers looked very slow for a full back ?
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

hammerddh wrote:anyone else thought Chambers looked very slow for a full back ?
He normally plays centre back for the development squad.
Full back isn't his natural position.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Funny old game. We should have been five or six in front before they scored, with Ravel running the show. Second half we retreated into our shell and they seemed to be walking through our midfield and defence as though it wasn't there.

Rav MOM for the first 45 mins.

RVT showed great commitment and deserved the goal. Our best player in the second 45.

On the evidence of last night Petric isn't an improvement on Maiga (who had his best game of the season, IMO). That wasn't the case against Everton.

Collison was fine going forward....

Perhaps a lack of cover in front was the reason but the back 5 didn't cover themselves with glory.

The BML was very subdued and most people sat throughout the game? Great support from Chav corner and the Chicken run fans near the STB. I wasn't surprised at the small turnout of Cardiff fans, given it was mid-week.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Proper borderline.
I assume there's no player out of picture playing him on?

If it was just offside, then I wouldn't call it a poor decision. Incorrect, yes, but hard to be too critical of the linesman there given the congestion and speed at which both players were running forward and the release of the ball.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Cheers for the replies guys :thup:

Seems a bit of mixed feelings about Collison & Vaz Te, but a fair amount of positives to draw.

They were the 2 players (along with Tomkins, but I've no doubts about Tonks...) I was most interested to hear how they'd performed, as I do feel both still have the potential to offer a lot to the first team
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Pop Robson wrote:Heard these last night !

Jussi's doing well
No extra time straight to pens
Levels of ignorance last night were astounding...

Percy 1 (studying the back cover of his programme) "Why is Diarra on this list? I thought he was injured."
Percy 2 "That's the full squad. The playing squad will be inside somewhere"

Percy 1, "McCartney's well off the pace". A harsh judgement I felt, bearing in mind the game had only just started, and that Macca has hardly played in the last 12 months.

Percy 1 blames Taylor for Collison's errors on a number of occasions. Though to even things up a bit, he did praise Collison for a clearance that Taylor made.

In the first half, when Rav pulled a ball back across the penalty area and RVT shot wide having had to hook round from behind him (a decent enough effort I thought, considering), Percy 1 has a go at Maiga for not getting the shot on target.

Percy's 3 & 4 appeared to spend most of the game ignoring the football, and just rabbitting to each other about anything other than what was happening in front of them, until near the end when they decided that Petric is utter **** because he'd chased a long clearance from Adrian deep into Cardiff territory and was unable to do anything with it due to being closed down by a number of Cardiff's players and there being no West Ham player within 50 yards of him.
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Estuary »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:Cheers for the replies guys :thup:

Seems a bit of mixed feelings about Collison & Vaz Te, but a fair amount of positives to draw.

They were the 2 players (along with Tomkins, but I've no doubts about Tonks...) I was most interested to hear how they'd performed, as I do feel both still have the potential to offer a lot to the first team
I felt both Vaz and Collison had good moments, but also went missing early in the second half. But the third goal made up for whatever short comings either had shown, good build up, super cross and strong, brave header.
If were to sum up the game I would say our squad is much deeper than Cardiff's.

PS- The guy next to me thought Jussi was in goal too Devil! Must be because the look so alike!!!
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Cardiff City (Capital One Cup): match thread

Post by roblo »

Excuse my ignorance (I struggle to make the midweek games anyway, so usually miss the first couple of rounds of the CC) but just seen the highlights - was this RVT slapping the badge after he scored? Same bloke who handed in a transfer request three weeks ago?
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes

Post by Estuary »

roblo wrote:Excuse my ignorance (I struggle to make the midweek games anyway, so usually miss the first couple of rounds of the CC) but just seen the highlights - was this RVT slapping the badge after he scored? Same bloke who handed in a transfer request three weeks ago?
Yes, same fella. He doesn't want to leave, but he doesn't want to play wide right either. Bit of a f*** up on the how to ask the boss to try me through the centre without looking a dick and making him volcanically angry front.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Enjoyable night in front of a very poor crowd
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Romford wrote:Enjoyable night in front of a very poor crowd
£15 may well be a reduced ticket price, but it's also a lot more than we charge to watch our reserve side against Cardiff's reserve side usually.

Still 3rd highest attendance of the evening.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Neil Mc's presser:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=127055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

The Gibbins wrote:I have seen that guy with the Celtic top plenty of times over the years...always ****ing trolleyed :lol:
You can find him drinking by the Statue seen him and his missus there before he is a massive celtic and west ham fan and she supports Rangers and Man u proof that love or beer can conquer all
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Romford wrote:Enjoyable night in front of a very poor crowd
I just can't get up for the cup games sitting with the daytrippers to be quite honest.

I'd rather use these type of games as brownie points with the missus so when I go to a few aways and I can come back with "well I missed the Cardiff game to spend the evening with you so you can't say I always put footballer first".
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

beckton wrote:I've seen the Cardiff goals again this morning.

Taylor clearly fouled for the first one and the second one Omythingy looks well off-side.
The challenge on Taylor happened directly in front of me (in the BML). He went down a bit enthusiastically, imo. Indeed, it looked like a bit of a flounce at the time. The goal that followed it was a peach.

Their other goal was up the other end, but I saw the goal again through the clip in this thread. Again, I thought he was onside when the ball was played. Clever little run caught us napping.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

Still reckon we should throw a couple of these cup games as freebies for STHs.
Whether or not you support the OS move that would have been an awful experience if held there.
As it was it was decent enough and a win.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

irving boleyn wrote:Hard to gauge the extent of our victory...we had 4/5 first teamers out...anyone know the equivalent stat for Cardiff?

Tomkins was pretty faultless,Chambers looks a good 3rd choice right back.The new centre forward didnt do enough to merit a start against Hull, but Vaz did. So frustrated he doesnt get more time in the middle of things..

I was with a Cardiff STH last night.

Nearly every single one of their starting eleven yesterday was a change from the weekend.

So, our mixture of reserves and first teamers narrowly beat their second string, basically.

Tomkins looks like he's being doing a lot of upper body work in the gym...and had a decent game, all told.

I thought Chambers showed some nice early touches, but he faded fairly badly as the evening wore on.

Petric looked a touch overweight, but clearly has bags of experience. I fancy that a run in the same side as Ravel would be a bonus for fan and coach alike; they look capable of playing 'between the lines' and creating things.

I thought that, whilst it was good that Vaz Te played the 90 and obviously scored the winner, he drifted in and out of the game a little.

All in all, we were lucky, having let slip an early lead, to get the job done in the 90. When Cardiff came out 2nd half, they were dominant.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I thought they were game for a laugh and couldn't work out why a couple who got chucked out got so wound up.

Seems like they got a slap beforehand.

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewt ... 2&t=123858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

13min highlights
West Ham Tom

Post by West Ham Tom »

Well worth the trip from Aberdeen. decided to get the overnight megabus there and back and was worth it! great value and entertainment. Ravel was fantastic and liked the look of Chambers. Maiga I thought did quite well. he seems better when the ball is played to him facing the goal and he has space or time to make run or pass. With his back to goal as a target man he has no awareness and lacks the strength to hold the ball up. Anyway can't wait for the next trip. COYI!!