Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (07/12/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Liverpool vs West Ham: Match Thread

Post by Romford »

Hammertapp wrote:Carlton Cole ‏@CarltonCole1 4m
Haha and that Luis Suarez vs Carlton Cole chant was brilliant. Had me and the other players in stitches #topfans

Haven't read thread so don't know if it's been mentioned, but what was the chant?
**** Luis Suarez...we've got Carlton Cole
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

A thoroughly enjoyable week-end, spoilt slightly by the expected result. I thought we played well until the goal: we'd at least held our own (and Maiga's luck was summed up by the saved header).

I thought our support was good: a Liverpool fan in the pub afterwards commended our fans.

The arrangments at the Arkle were shockingly bad. We'd had a beer and a bit to eat in the Weatherspoon's and headed over there for about 1.15, to be told 'full up' try pub X up there'. We were then told 'Home fans only'. Finally went to the Flat Iron, about 5 mins walk from the Arkle. Mixed West Ham and Liverpool inside plus reasonable beer. I'd suggest it as the pub of choice in future.

I travelled back via Sheffield but I couldn't believe the number of Plastic Liverpool fans queuing for the Euston train!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Has anything yet been said about Tomkins?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

One thing I forgot to mention.

Maiga did very well and I felt sorry for him at times. I just wish he was more alert.

He's always on his heels.
FordLovingHammer

Post by FordLovingHammer »

I feel Maiga is 'getting there'. Did well yesterday, shame his header brought such a good save. The 4 yard miss wasn't as easy as it looked. So want him to score, I think that would really boost him.
wes

Post by wes »

FordLovingHammer wrote:I feel Maiga is 'getting there'. Did well yesterday, shame his header brought such a good save. The 4 yard miss wasn't as easy as it looked. So want him to score, I think that would really boost him.
Burnley
penalty
injury time
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Maiga really isn't getting there.

A player that is getting there would have scored against Chelsea and Liverpool with the chances he has had.
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Maiga is ****ing terrible and the sudden love-in regarding him shows how far we've managed to ****ing sink in one season.
FordLovingHammer

Post by FordLovingHammer »

Well to be honest I think he has improved fair bit IMO. It's no love in, just an opinion :fsake:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Billydinho wrote:. I just wish he was more alert.

He's always on his heels.
Yep couple of times yesterday a decent striker would have got a toe on the ball Maiga didn't ven seem to try
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

I actually think he has improved and has put some decent shifts in. Certainly the pick of what options we have at the moment and I think he's been a little unlucky not to score. But unfortunately he's an easy target, our team certainly don't set up to get the best out of him and at times I think Aguero would struggle playing upfront for us with the scraps that Maiga is expected to thrive on. Whatever peoples thoughts on his abilities, he's been putting a shift in and not been hiding, as a crowd we used to appreciate a trier! Seemingly not anymore.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Prawn wrote:Maiga is ****ing terrible and the sudden love-in regarding him shows how far we've managed to ****ing sink in one season.
What the f*ck is he meant to do when he's surrounding by 6 Liverpool players and not one other West Ham shirt in their half?
Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Hammertapp »

Eastleigh Hammer wrote:We've got Carlton Cole
We've got Carlton Coooole
F*ck Luis Suarez
We've got Carlton Cole

We got applauded by the home fans for that one!
Haha love it!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Prawn wrote:Maiga is ****ing terrible and the sudden love-in regarding him shows how far we've managed to ****ing sink in one season.
No, the sudden "love in" is because he has improved with every game so far since he's been back.

He's been ****ed off for being **** and not trying.

Now he's being ****ed off for trying and improving.

Our fans are pathetic at times when it comes to supporting our own players/staff.
eastendborn

Post by eastendborn »

It's obvious that Maiga has skill- he's played some neat flicks and tidy passes and as someone put it " put's in a shift". Nice, and nice to see quality football- but for me-at this point, I'd much rather see a boring talentless player in the forward line whose ball skills are crap- but can hit the net every time he gets a chance on goal.
TomoIrons

Post by TomoIrons »

I went and stayed up there etc. Cracking weekend. Thought Maiga did well seeing as the closest West Ham player at times was 20 yards away from him. Much improved and I hope he keeps his place.

Anyone who wants Carlton over him, seriously...

You could make a sequal to the film White Men Can't Jump for this bloke. Dross.
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

I agree that Maiga has been playing well, just needs that little bit of luck. It does come down to our options, I mean it's either Maiga, Carlton, Petric or one of the youngsters. No idea what's going on with Petric, and as much as Carlton is a lovely guy, I think he's Championship level at best. Owners need to find another option in January, but that's easier said than done.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 1633 likes

Post by chalks »

its called support Terry
THORSHAMMER

Post by THORSHAMMER »

so when you say a player who has a history of several years playing at premier league level is championship level at best

Fans of say arsenal, chelsea Man city/utd could say west ham are a championship level at best team?

It makes no sense that statement Cc has bossed vidic terry, carragher and others then played crap against mediocre defenders i would rather people say he's inconsistent than this stupid term championship level at best
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

chalks wrote:its called support Terry
If Grant had signed Maiga you'd be at the head of the queue to slag him - as you were with Winston.

He hasn't scored a goal since before last Christmas.