West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (11/02/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Grays

Re: West Ham United v Norwich: Match Thread

Post by Grays »

I can't believe so many people see the transport as that big an issue that they'd move to an athletics stadium over it, but each to their own.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Grays wrote:I can't believe so many people see the transport as that big an issue that they'd move to an athletics stadium over it, but each to their own.

That's the way it is in this day and age Grays.

Maximum comfort / enjoyment / reward with minimum effort
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

mumbles87 wrote:I think any fan with common sense will know that the move will enable really helpful transport links for all. lets face it all the trains that go through stratford

greater anglia , central line, jubilee time, london overground , DLR, eurostar!!! much easier at getting the fans out of the ground after a match than having to go via the district who soon will have weekend shut downs again whilst they upgrade the sub surface railways... so long term and short team it benefits us all.
of course it will be "easier", just not by much.
i'm not exactly the most patient person in the world, but funk me i can bear a 10 minutes queue after a game! (or a longer walk)
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

My thoughts precisely. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the Cole/Borriello change, which has been made at half time in the last two games - whether this is a fatigue thing? After a bit of a questionable start, I thought Carlton held the ball up very well last night as he grew into the game. When the change was made at the break, we seemed to lose that, which allowed Norwich to get forward quickly and more often. To be fair, they did have a lot more possession in the second period, and looked the more likely to score until we did. Nothing detrimental towards Borriello mind, but I just don't see that he has this attribute in his locker.
i also do not understand it. According to quotes before the game it is planned but to me it is just a waste of a sub. why take Cole off at 0-0 after 45 minutes (or the other way round if Boriello was starting). as you say he got better as the half went on and is much better at playing the direct style than Boriello. It just means you only have 2 other subs to use later in the game. what happens if you go behind and want to bring on another striker? what happens if you get injuries 2nd half?
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Another 3 points, well done Adrian, league still tighter than a gnats chuff could go down to last game :lol:
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Since I've stopped attending we have only lost one game. Coincidence? Or a serious bad luck charm?! lol

Damn it, a few hundred years ago we could have burnt you for that admission of witchcraft........I even had the marshmallows ready :wink:
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Despite last night, as our results improve and players come back from injury/suspension the entertainment improces.

Last night was a bit of an entertainment bypass
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
i also do not understand it. According to quotes before the game it is planned but to me it is just a waste of a sub. why take Cole off at 0-0 after 45 minutes (or the other way round if Boriello was starting). as you say he got better as the half went on and is much better at playing the direct style than Boriello.
Opinions eh...

I thought Carlton must have sprayed himself with football repellent in the tunnel. He was like two red ends of a magnet!
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

warp wrote:
of course it will be "easier", just not by much.
i'm not exactly the most patient person in the world, but funk me i can bear a 10 minutes queue after a game! (or a longer walk)
Not by much? Seriously the wait is 10-20 minutes min. Then it's the district line to wherever which isn't really a choice. At most you get a hot and cold now and again.

At Stratford you will bearly need to wait and then people can go separate ways onto different lines..... Which will make the crowding a lot less

"Not by much" is more like "massive savings in traveling time / convenience"

That and it will be a much nice stadium experience once we get over the fact it's not the Boleyn
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Great result.
Was the only highlight of the day, as i had to follow the match from Newham General, as my Son got his foot run over by a Range Rover, outside the main gates.
What a nightmare getting home on crutches, thank god the tube strike got cancelled!
:crest:

Edit: That's 2 more empty seats accounted for!
jamine16

Post by jamine16 »

Heysel76 wrote:Great result.
Was the only highlight of the day, as i had to follow the match from Newham General, as my Son got his foot run over by a Range Rover, outside the main gates.
What a nightmare getting home on crutches, thank god the tube strike got cancelled!
:crest:

Edit: That's 2 more empty seats accounted for!
Was it a burgundy coloured range rover by any chance?
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

jamine16 wrote:
Was it a burgundy coloured range rover by any chance?
It was dark coloured & i have got details, but i'm not sure of the exact colour, why do you ask?
jamine16

Post by jamine16 »

Heysel76 wrote: It was dark coloured & i have got details, but i'm not sure of the exact colour, why do you ask?
Only because about an hour before kick off i see Joe Cole driving out of the players car park.
He had a face like a smacked arse and put his foot down a bit.
BillUp
Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.
Has liked: 1 like

Post by BillUp »

Midweek game and transport links ruined by terrible floods. Not all West Ham fans live in East London. A lot live in a 30 mile radius to the Boleyn. Probably one of the main reasons for the empty seats.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20140212/ ... 84_3666323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really starting to love this guy :thup:
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Adrian's the nuts.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Grays wrote:And for the record last night was half price for members whilst Swansea was KFAQ.
Even with deals on we're struggling to get 30k through the door.
Is nearly 32,000 struggling to get 30,000 through the door?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

BillUp wrote:Midweek game and transport links ruined by terrible floods. Not all West Ham fans live in East London. A lot live in a 30 mile radius to the Boleyn. Probably one of the main reasons for the empty seats.
so true

like ive said many times the OS will have much better links allowing people from say norwich (if your a hammer who comes down every week) get a train straight home..

once cross rail opens in 2018 you will be able to go so many places from stratford

helps out fans
Grays

Post by Grays »

carnage wrote:Is nearly 32,000 struggling to get 30,000 through the door?
When you account for away fans yes it is.
WestHamAlways

Post by WestHamAlways »

It wasn't a great game but at least we got the result.
More worrying was the support before we scored. There was a lot of moaning and as frustrating as it was, surely we needed to get behind the team. Yes I know there were a lot of misplaced passes and no-one challenging for the lofted balls just after half time. It was a nervy game and we could have been the 12th man. Instead the singing was in small pockets.
As soon as the second went in everyone wanted to sing, if we had started like that, imagine the lift the team would have had.
There were loads of empty seats around me in the BML, a lot of STH didn't seem to turn up.
If that is our atmosphere at a night game under the floodlights then maybe it is time to move on to the OS.