Arsenal 3-1 West Ham Utd (15/04/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Re: Arsenal V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Aceface »

Major wrote: In fact i am smiling as i write this, there was one person in particular, it might have started with Ace? if thats right he / she was imploding. Hahahahahahaha
I'm briefing my lawyers!

I was there so it wasn't me.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:
While its commendable Jarvis stayed on his feet, it didnt do the team any favours.

I dont regard it as cheating when the player has been fouled
Frank The Mac wrote:Surely if the contact is not sufficient to make the player go down, then it is not a foul? If he has to make a concious decision to fall over, then it is a dive.
Totally right Frank, if it had been Suarez or Ashley Young going down against a tackle by Reid etc and he would have gone down, then we would be the first ones calling him out for diving.

It is another example poor refereeing, it was a foul and there was no obvious advantage to be had with where the ball was going, so the ref should stop play and award the foul (and resultant penalty).

I cringe at all those saying Jarvis should have gone down, diving is diving and should not be part of the game.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Absentee Hammer wrote:
Totally right Frank, if it had been Suarez or Ashley Young going down against a tackle by Reid etc and he would have gone down, then we would be the first ones calling him out for diving.
To be fair if they had gone down after that tackle (and they would every time) then nobody would have doubted it was a pen. We might have complained about them playing for it but not the decision itself.
It is another example poor refereeing, it was a foul and there was no obvious advantage to be had with where the ball was going, so the ref should stop play and award the foul (and resultant penalty).

I cringe at all those saying Jarvis should have gone down, diving is diving and should not be part of the game.
Agreed on both points though you can also see why BS might be annoyed at Jarvis.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by Major »

I'm briefing my lawyers!

I was there so it wasn't me.

Sorry Mate, i am a forgetful old b*stard, can't remember who it was then!!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

bobcar wrote:Agreed on both points though you can also see why BS might be annoyed at Jarvis.
nope, i can see why he might be annoyed at the ref.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

My three-penneth worth.
Decent first half, jarvis and mo and Noccer stand-out performers for me, defence solid too. But WTF happened in the second half? We looked like a team of defenders with no clue how to respond on the offensive at all. Not helped by AC looking utterly dis-interested and jarvis being non-existent (I cant even recall him touching the ball for 30 mins - after such good first half).
Downing should hang his head in shame for their opener, a 5 year-olds clearance. He was pure dogshite all game I thought, final ball was awful when he did get past the LB in first half and hid for most of the second.
Not overly impressed with Amero if I'm honest. For a seasoned pro and international he looks quite nervy at times and plays a few very dangerous out balls when in/around his own box. Noccer did well and probably impressed most over the 90.
we just offer such limited threat going forward its beyond a joke.
L'arse even in third gear would have put 5 past us (again). But maybe not - all good finishes for their goals that on another day woulld have been fluffed before the shots were taken.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

warp wrote: nope, i can see why he might be annoyed at the ref.
BS is interested in the result and if Jarvis had behaved the same as most other PL players (and all strikers) we would have got a penalty, that's why he would be annoyed at him as well as at the ref.

That doesn't mean Jarvis would have been right to fall over but it is the case that in behaving differently to other PL players he cost us a penalty.

And yes the likes of Wanknapp saying "there was a touch so he was entitled to go down" does get my goat.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

The BFS experiment is surely over. This team is nowhere near good enough at doing what it's supposed to be ( nippy -up-and-down wingers pinging crosses in to Carroll etc) or equipped for what really is the modern game ( high pressing , hassle, attack in numbers, any one of five can score) Arsenal, like so many other teams this year werent really stretched at any stage and comfortably picked it up a notch and then game over.

We've had an awful season and very few/no-one in the team is getting any better, the squad overall isnt so much flatlining as swan diving. A few high profile bob-a-job-loanees this summer just isnt good enough.

If i sound depressed I am. They gave us two minutes of joy last night, and then back on your heads for a diet of unremitting ****. :crest:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

w4hammer wrote:. They gave us two minutes of joy last night,
What you seem to be suggesting is that you were only happy when we were 0-1 up.

I believe there is a popular football song about this.....
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Sloop John B wrote:. They gave us two minutes of joy last night

What you seem to be suggesting is that you were only happy when we were 0-1 up.

I believe there is a popular football song about this.....
Yoy is different to happy. You can be happy when you are being spanked and keeping it to one nil- that can never be described as joy!.
brun61

Post by brun61 »

i would like to know what fat boy says ay half time, how many times have we gone 1-0 up only to come out & play utter crap in the second half, Norwich prob' the worst for a long time, some of our players must think the 2nd half doesn't count, need to be better the weekend
garage
Total likes: 1 like

Post by garage »

Its not diving though when contact has been made it's a different matter when players dive for no reason!
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

garage wrote:Its not diving though when contact has been made it's a different matter when players dive for no reason!
On one hand I agree but then on the other I think Chico Flores. By your reckoning he wasn't in the wrong against us?

I personally think Jarvis had the right to go down on that one but then would say all incidents should be judged individually
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

First opportunity to read the match thread....riveting as usual...just a few points in no particular order.

When Sam does not start with Nolan or Taylor in their usual roles, the two CM's replacing them need to be of a very high quality..they need to create sufficient chances to compensate for the weakening of the defense due to Taylor's absence and be able to advance from defense with pace to support the striker. We saw a little of this with Diames performance in the first half hour and the Nocarino assist, but not enough.

Didn't see Nocarino tackling much, comfortable when intercepting.Look forward to having another look against Palace.

Jarvis's non diving..I wouldn't credit him with integrity..I would guess it never entered his head.

The goals we conceded were rare indeed..We usually tackle/block anything in our box, another example of Nocarino and Diame not compensating for Nolan and Taylor's defensive duties
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

irving boleyn wrote:First opportunity to read the match thread....riveting as usual...just a few points in no particular order.

When Sam does not start with Nolan or Taylor in their usual roles, the two CM's replacing them need to be of a very high quality..they need to create sufficient chances to compensate for the weakening of the defense due to Taylor's absence and be able to advance from defense with pace to support the striker. We saw a little of this with Diames performance in the first half hour and the Nocarino assist, but not enough.

Didn't see Nocarino tackling much, comfortable when intercepting.Look forward to having another look against Palace.

Jarvis's non diving..I wouldn't credit him with integrity..I would guess it never entered his head.

The goals we conceded were rare indeed..We usually tackle/block anything in our box, another example of Nocarino and Diame not compensating for Nolan and Taylor's defensive duties
I remember when that was considered a plus.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Rocketron wrote: I remember when that was considered a plus.
The first thing I ever noticed watching Bobby Moore was that he rarely tackled, if he couldn't intercept he just took the ball off players almost as if by magic. A lot of the players of the past would struggle in today's football but he would fit right in.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5677 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Rocketron wrote:
I remember when that was considered a plus.
It still very much is. Our players dive in way too often.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Don't try to persuade me that non tackling is an art form. To be constantly ten yards away from the guy with the ball and the person he intends to pass to will rarely be productive..