COC2: West Ham Utd 1-1 Sheff Utd (4-5 pens) (26/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Sheff Utd (C1C 2nd Rd): match thread

Post by 61dicksey »

sjb958 wrote:For those of you wondering why Diame got MOTM, it's the sponsor's decision and they get to meet whoever they choose after the match in the sponsor's lounge. I'm guessing Diame was one of the more high profile players that the sponsors would rather meet (rather than 17 year old Burke who I thought deserved it).

I remember once seeing somewhere that for one game, Nolan apparently met them beforehand and told them to choose him! He had an absolute shocker of a game but they still chose him lol! Uproar in the stands!
Barnsley at home 17/12/2011 was when Nolan got MoM and had a. pmlete shocker, only fun bit that day was when the cat was being chased, freezing cold dour 1-0 win .
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Sakho's goal from last night, sorry if already been posted:-

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Excuses a second string side, we were playing Sheffield United, who seemed more hungry for the the game then we did at times, again 1-0 up and we never finish it off, credit to Nigel Clough a good upcoming manager, makes me laugh how in the last few days it was all about what we would do them, show them a lesson, get revenge, well we didn't!
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Definitely want to see more of Sakho - to me he looked a better fit than Valencia, who seems a bit lightweight at the minute. Downing was class too, I reckon he'll come good this year proper.
ginghamdress
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by ginghamdress »

giantsteps wrote:..... The only positive to come from the night came in the guise of a negative. Winston Reid's own goal will hopefully bring him back down to earth with a bump. He's not 'top 4' material as he might like to think he is. That OG won't do him any good along the lines of him trying to manufacture his 'big move' - what a shame eh.
With supporters/fans coming out with stuff like that I'm not surprised some players want to leave.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Downing was class too, I reckon he'll come good this year proper.
Same. Looks to be in great form :thup:
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

jaybs wrote:credit to Nigel Clough a good upcoming manager
Don't want to pick on one thing you've said, but Clough has managed for the last 16 years and nearly 1,000 games.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

ginghamdress wrote:With supporters/fans coming out with stuff like that I'm not surprised some players want to leave.
I'm a massive fan of Winston Reid btw but a couple of things...

1) did you go last night?

2) if you did do you think Reid really looked like he wanted to be there?

3) what do you think about Reid refusing to sign a new contract?

4) if that own goal put any potential suitors off of signing Reid, would you be happy? (which is what I was alluding to)
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Why would an own goal put off any potential suitors?
Last edited by Ozza on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

szola wrote:Do you go up to the managers, one by one, for a q&a? :?
No mate ... all the journalists are in the same room and have to shout over each other to get their questions answered. Sam usually comes in last, but was first last night.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Reid is allowed to not wanna sign a new contract, he's not doing anything wrong.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Clough acted like a brat for most of the game. Screaming and shouting "for f*** sake" every five minutes at decisions made by the ref or his players.

Came across as a bit of a knob to be fair.
JohnSissonsWasMyHero

Post by JohnSissonsWasMyHero »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Clough acted like a brat for most of the game. Screaming and shouting "for f*** sake" every five minutes at decisions made by the ref or his players.
Football manager shows passion shock horror!!!

I think I prefer that to ours who sits motionless (except for his non-stop chewing) for most of the games.
64misser

Post by 64misser »

I think I saw a different game from many on here, but here's my opinion anyway...

- Poyet & Burke were excellent. Really good potential; Poyet looks like a younger, less confident Noble to me. Probably MOTM. Happy for Burke to be ahead of Ginge though I expect him to be vulnerable against the Top 4 teams.

- I liked Valencia's skills, movement and speed. Needs more match time but definitely not a "waste of money" yet.

- Sakho also looks good. More match time please.

- Ravel moves smoothly but was too deep and lazy with some of his passing. I think there was less play making from the midfield when he came off. But he's lightweight and doesn't tackle enough.

- Diame & Zarate are both too greedy. Zarate looks more under control; I think he deserves the start ahead of Nolan but might be vulnerable to the top teams unless he learns to get rid of the ball more quickly.

- Potts started well but completely lost shape after about 30 minutes and I don't think he'll ever cut it in the first team. Was consistently beaten down the left in the second half.

- I thought Demel was OK, but him and Jussi have never been able to communicate. He's better with Adrian.

- Jussi didn't have to make a save, but everything he did was pretty much a nightmare. For some odd reason in the second half he stopped passing it out and started hoofing it to the opposition (99% completion rate to the Blunts, btw). At one point Reid and Jussi were standing 5 yards outside the box saying "it's yours, no it's yours" and neither wanted the ball.

Both Downing and Noble showed they are a class above when they came on.

Disappointing night. Should have thrashed them. They got lucky with the own goal.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Dwight1970 wrote:Thought we did well first half against opponents who had really had a game plan to sit off us and wait for us to make a mistake in possession, to our credit we did not revert to long balls, kept the ball well for long periods and managed to create a few chances so deservedly went in 1 up.

Second half we seemed to want to mix it up a bit but it simply didn't work and we lost possession far more easily than the first half. As a result Sheffield United were able to keep their shape much better and we just appeared to run out of ideas until the substitutions were made, they lifted us briefly but without any physical presence up front now they seemed pretty comfortable with us knocking the ball in front of them and taking the odd long shot.

Credit to Sheffield United as their defensive game plan got them a result though in fairness without our assistance I doubt they would have scored tonight in open play.

I thought Poyet and Burke were postives with Demel also having a decent game, Diame and Vaz Te did little to enhance their chances of holding down a regular starting place, Morrison looked off his game and sadly Potts once again showed he sadly isn't up to it but most worryingly Valencia looked more like Maiga then a £14m player so just hope that performance was down to his fitness.
pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

JohnSissonsWasMyHero wrote:I think I prefer that to ours who sits motionless (except for his non-stop chewing) for most of the games.
Really, you'd hate it if we had Big Phil as manager then?
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

Mushy Wrote "This was a cup game against an old enemy priced at ten quid for adults and a fiver for kids. That virtually full ground you saw was nearly 8,000 short of the full attendance.
We need to find another 26,000 fans for the Olympic stadium, where exactly are all these fans coming from?
As for Jussi and penalties,did we not win a penalty shoot out against a German team a few weeks back.?
I am not his biggest fan but did not think he did a lot wrong last night."

Opinions on keepers eh :)

Old Enemy? come on seriously? Do you believe the attendance figure? I don't. one section of the BMU was empty in the top left corner, the rest of the ground was full.
this is not a first though is it. In the 70's and 80's you'd be squashed to f**k in the standing area's and not an empty seat in the place...Attendance 24000....Yeah, right oh.

I reckon the cash turnstile numbers aren't included.

as I also said, there was nobody in our area other than me and a couple of mates that I knew. nobody. None of the usual STH's. And I've been there for 8 years, and I know to say hello to a good 50/60 people. They weren't there.

As I said, price the seats correctly, they will come.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Diame has been slated by many on here but I was watching him quite a bit last night purely because he was one of the few players who were consistently making space for themselves. You don't need to run around like a headless chicken, just be aware of where the defenders and your team mates are, and move into areas where you open up a line to the ball carrier so you give him an option of someone to pass to. That has always been a failing of WHU in recent years when I've watched them: not enough movement off the ball. Last night that was allied to a lack of urgency and general failure to move the ball at speed.

Sadly Diame not only managed to shake off the attention of the defenders but frequently appeared all but invisible to his team mates too. I think he's an excellent player to have in the squad, not necessarily a starter but we all know what he can do when he's in the mood.

Sakho was impressive. Valencia less so but we need to be patient with him while he finds his feet and hopefully his fitness. He'll come good given time.

RM showed some nice touches but always seemed to want to beat a second man instead of using the space and tempo he'd created to find a pass to hurt the opponents. Reece Burke was very impressive for one so young and Poyet will be giving Sam selection headaches soon enough. Downing and Zarate both continued their impressive starts to the season.

All in all I remain pretty optimistic - just a shame we had to throw it away against those c unts. When you have the luxury of a decent squad depth then being still in the League Cup becomes an opportunity rather than a burden. A perfect place for younger players to gain experience and the more experienced players who aren't in the starting eleven, to get match time and improve fitness. Not this season sadly.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Anton Ferdinand was a few seats along from me last night. Surprised to see him at our game rather than Readings.
Adrian also was sat infront.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Came across as a bit of a knob to be fair.
Yet impressed (me, anyway) with the intelligent and tactful manner in which he spoke during the presser. Funny old game.