Crystal Palace 1-3 West Ham Utd (23/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

DannyboyDJL wrote:I don't really think that is his fault. He always tries to go forward, I just think he very rarely has a viable pass on. He always had a pass this weekend because players were looking for the ball.
No...no...no.

Against Sampdoria and Spurs he kept looking right.

Why was Downing hitting so many crossfield passes v Spurs to Cresswell in acres of space? Because Noble wasn't seeing them.

It was Nolan (that's right, Nolan) doing it v Sampdoria.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

hammer1975 wrote:A big limiting factor in Noble's game almost as much as pace IMO is how long he sometimes dwells on the ball and slows it down

noticable that our best games are when he doesn't do that as much
The reason for him doing that is nobody is making any movement! Zarate did that yesterday I'm really pleased, it's the link we've missed since Zola's team.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:
I'm going to say it, but If we can play with that tempo consistently then surely Mr. Jarvis will find his form? No?
Yeah possibly. I think we need a winger with better technical abilty on the left personally, but for now Jarvis would be fine.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

hammer1975 wrote:Don't disagree for the most part Danny

Big fan of Nobes

slightly conscious of reaching conclusions after one game against opposition that I expect to be in the mix at the bottom come May though
You are right, although I've never considered, and still don't, Noble to be an issue.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

bubbles1966 wrote:
No...no...no.

Why was Downing hitting so many crossfield passes v Spurs to Cresswell in acres of space? Because Noble wasn't seeing them.

I haven't seen 90 mins of either game so I honestly can't comment, but over the past 10 years (more maybe) I've never once considered Noble a problem.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

Anyone got the full match anywhere?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The Rebirth wrote:Anyone got the full match anywhere?
sent you a pm
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Agree that Nobes has a tendency to play the ball right

diame seems to be the opposite IMO

perhaps part of the reason why we looked so much more balanced season before last when Diame got on the ball a lot more
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

bubbles1966 wrote:
No...no...no.

I dont understand this post. I recall those passes from Downing they were from the half way line to the left back position..thought at the time they were very negative. But how do they reflect on Noble?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

irving boleyn wrote: I dont understand this post. I recall those passes from Downing they were from the half way line to the left back position..thought at the time they were very negative. But how do they reflect on Noble?
Your recall is wrong.

They were to Cresswell halfway inside the opposition half.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

No definitely backward from the halfway line.

Fight!Fight!

Perhaps there were both types. But,again how does this reflect on Noble
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

Burnley Hammer wrote:
sent you a pm
Much appreciated mate
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Your recall is wrong.

They were to Cresswell halfway inside the opposition half.
There were 8 of those cross field balls from Downing > Cresswell v Spuds.

2 inside our half, 6 inside theirs.

Regarding Noble > Cresswell, v Spuds Noble passed the ball to Cresswell more than he did to any other player, 11 in total with 6 being inside their half and 3 of them in the final third.
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

For those asking for a download: http://kickass.to/epl-2014-day02-23-aug ... 91141.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I apologise in advance if that isn't allowed.

In regards to the game, to the person digging people out in the Tottenham thread for suggesting Zarate could have changed the game, there's why. No, he's not going to pull off everything, but at least he's having a go. I've got no problem with Nolan, I think they're asked to play roughly the same position differently in a way that reflects their individual strengths. However, I will note that I was impressed with how much Zarate backtracked and won the ball back after squandering possession.

Happy to see Downing score a peach, and long may it continue. He's looked good so far, perhaps it has something to getting a full season with us under his belt, as opposed to knowing Liverpool were trying to flog him off?

I think Vaz Te does a lot of little things that aren't noticed. For example, he was the one who played Zarate through for the goal opportunity that he fluffed with an inch perfect ball. He also had a tidy shot at goal, as well. Give it time and I think he'll be getting in a few more assists and goals, he's not half as bad as people make him out to be.

:scarfer:
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

the pink palermo wrote:After the spurs game I mentioned how frequently we had 4 players in their box. Roll the tape for Downings goal yesterday and see how many we had in the box when he scored , and where they had been 10 seconds previously .
Think someone else posted this in one of the threads,but it seems as though over the last couple of games we have way more players running into the box and it was noticeable that CC was running straight at the goalie as as soon as Downing let it rip for the second.

Tactically, something has changed in the last two games - can't put my finger on it, despite watching both games 3 times over. There were a couple of obvious reasons why we were stronger against Palace - Reid & Zarate, as well as the fact that Palace are probably a weaker side than Spurs. I reckon Loris probably saves Spurs ten goals a season. And credit to Palace - despite a coven of media hacks telling the world that they're awful, they were a lot better than I thought. Chamkh was bossing things for a while.

Something else changed for the last couple of games - regardless of either results - I actually enjoyed watching both games. At times, there was some good football from all of the teams involved.
:thup:
chickawah

Post by chickawah »

SRXT wrote:I think Vaz Te does a lot of little things that aren't noticed. For example, he was the one who played Zarate through for the goal opportunity that he fluffed with an inch perfect ball. He also had a tidy shot at goal, as well. Give it time and I think he'll be getting in a few more assists and goals, he's not half as bad as people make him out to be.

:scarfer:
Definitely agree with this. Think I read that he created a game high 4 chances as well. Important player to have in the squad I think, is Vaz.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Agree with both of these comments. I'd still start him over Jarvis. I've already said it in the "where is Matt Jarvis thread" but I'll say it again here, Vaz Te will get more goals and assists than Jarvis this season. Tenner to the BMF if he doesn't.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

Rich....I think that, significantly,the strong defensive midfield of Noble and Kouyate,relieved Vaz and particularly Downing of their defensive duties allowing them to receive the ball in much more forward positions so they didnt have to run with the ball for fifty yards before getting to the business end of things

To this end, I believe when Downing did win or intercept the ball deep he passed the ball backwards, happy to delay the attack until he and others could get into more advanced positions..
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Romford wrote:Poor game from Clattenburg......how he didn't book half the Palace side was a joke.

The amount of times they fouled us to stop a break and he didn't do a thing...then booked ours for a trip.

Very poor.
Yeah kept saying that myself. So blatant as well. I even waved an imaginary yellow myself.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Agreed- ref had a 'mare.

As we did on corners- dont wanted to be too negative but corners, especially first half, going straight into the keepers hands....not good enough at this level, is it?