Hull City 2-2 West Ham Utd (15/09/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Re: Hull City v West Ham united: Match Thread

Post by Aceface »

swash wrote:Definite concern at the moment is that Reid is playing like a bloke who wanted out in the window.
People say this after every game at the minute, but I've never seen any actual examples of what this means provided. Is he ambling back instead of running when people are closing down on our goal? Is he shushing our players? Is he feigning injury? Seems a lot like projection because he hasn't signed a contract
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

^ I thought Reid generally played a lot better than he did in our previous 3 fixtures. He did look like he wanted out.

Not last night though, credit where it's due.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

A point in Reid, every player came and clapped the support whereas he headed straight off...

Don't feel he's ever connected tbh...
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

wizzo_66 wrote:Sakho and Valencia was an excellent partnership. They took it in turn to drift wide and head through the middle.
The early signs are very promising. Still early days of course, but Sam will have quite a selection headache when everyone is fit
Billy Bonds Thighs wrote:I thought our movement and pace up front was excellent, it's been a long time since I have watched a game and been excited. There were some early runs that were not spotted by the midfield, if they can spot them we will score plenty. :scarfer:

Only downside was loads of stray passes, maybe that's part and parcel of no hoofball and passing the ball around. Where does Nolan and carroll fit into this though ?
Indeed. You can only think that with time, it will get even better, once the rest of the team start to understand those two better, and can second guess what movements they make. As with any new player, at this point the midfielder will have to have a good look to see what runs and movements they're making. With time, they won't have to look for so long, and that hopefully should lead to an even quicker more deadly attacking unit

It is hard to see how Nolan and Carroll will fit into that. All pace and movement last night, and it was a joy. I just don't see how we can hope to play the same way with either, nevermind both, of them in the side. Their styles seem very different from the style of player we had all across our attacking areas last night.
Still, great to have to a number of options in the attacking areas
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

He looked pissed off all game I reckon he has the Charlie big b*llocks syndrome.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:We give the ball away too easily, especially under pressure. We take too long to decide what to do. Hopefully with time and more understanding this will improve.
There's a lack of defensive desire and mettle in central midfield at the moment. People sauntering back when the opposition break. That's exposing the defence and the CBs are getting caned for it.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

But he always looked like that. I'm asking what's actually different this season rather than any other apart from the contract situation colouring people's opinion?

I guess for the same reason I don't care that Adrian is an extrovert and waves and smiles, I don't much care if Reid is usually reserved and unsmiling.

Then again, I used to defend Diame last season when people were putting the boot into him and he turned out to be a bit of a c*nt
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Aceface wrote: People say this after every game at the minute, but I've never seen any actual examples of what this means provided. Is he ambling back instead of running when people are closing down on our goal? Is he shushing our players? Is he feigning injury? Seems a lot like projection because he hasn't signed a contract
IMO its more that he is better being led by example than leading by example. He came on leaps and bounds playing alongside Collins. He saw his wholehearted, die for the cause attitude and put that into his own game alongside his natural athleticism, it was a pretty impressive mixture. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it was a permanent addition as it has drifted out again. He has lost that man possessed part of his game atm so it looks like he isn't trying.
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

Nice match report by the Telegraph if anyone fancies a read, very positive about us and the way we played, which makes a change recently!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... emate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

Really sloppy goals conceded by us yesterday, but what a strike by Valencia!! He'll be pulling defenders now because they'll be terrified to give him any space :lol:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

bubbles1966 wrote: There's a lack of defensive desire and mettle in central midfield at the moment. People sauntering back when the opposition break. That's exposing the defence and the CBs are getting caned for it.
Not sure its lack of desire so much as lack of speed lol

Its not new, I remember relegation roger getting caned against city while the midfield had charged forward and was walking back
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

There's a lack of defensive desire and mettle in central midfield at the moment. People sauntering back when the opposition break. That's exposing the defence and the CBs are getting caned for it.
We need to proper DM. This has been the case for ages. We should play one player in front of the back four and then two players with a licence to attack in front. Not two players in CM and one behind the striker. I thought our attacking play was excellent yesterday, so no complaints there, but having a proper DM will enable us to keep that but with a balance, and allow the full backs to bomb on even more.

In my mind neither Noble, Song or Kouyate can play DM. So i would play Song and one other and then try and find a schneiderlin or Tiote type player who is more disciplined at sitting.

There is no need for someone (NOlan or Zarate) in the hole IMHO if the front 3 are a proper front 3 and the two CMs get forward

a 4-1-2-3 formation but with the front 3 fairly narrow like last night, and the 2 CMs getting forward, with the FBs providing additional width when required
kippaxcockney

Post by kippaxcockney »

With reference to nothing, what state is Razor Ruddock in?
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

Still a fat barsteward, but managed to get married the other day:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... earer.html

OK. It was last year. Shows I don't read this celeb cobblers lol. Don't even know who Rylan Clark is!
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:He looked pissed off all game I reckon he has the Charlie big b*llocks syndrome.
So do I. For the last year he's looked like he's had the hump up to his eyeballs, even in the old tunnel visions.
Lot's of people giving Tonks stick last night but I don't think Winston helped at all; I fear it's the beginning of the end for him. If it's true that he wants out because of our style of play then I find it quite incredible because our style of play made him look a much better player. He's a brilliant defender but far from irreplaceable.

Brilliant from the boys last night. Song is a cut above and like UTJ I hope he doesn't get frustrated with the lack of quality around him; it was like watching Tevez having to run half way back up the pitch 'cause nobody could keep up. Particularly impressed with Sakho's all round game last night...a real handful.

More of the same please lads COYI
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:He looked pissed off all game I reckon he has the Charlie big b*llocks syndrome.
Of course it is impossible to tell for sure, but we should boo him just in case.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

some massive plusses to take from that game.
1. entertaining football played the 'right' way - tick.
2. high energy closing from the front - tick
3. excellent debuts all round - tick
4. good substitutions made - tick.
5. ball on the floor, good retention - tick

Well done West Ham and from one of BFS critics, well done BFS.

I was very impressed with Sakho, ran his nuts off and better on the ball than i'd expected.
Valencia I'm sure will get better when others note his movement/runs. Clever player and boy what a strike.
Cresswell is a work-in-progress but one that is worth the odd mistake or two I think. Offers so much going forward.
Song was pure class. Must be starting now.
Reid continues to trouble me a bit, is he really interested or still sulking?
The right excuses have been made for Kouyate I think.
Zarate might be out best impact player off the bench.
Adrian does worry me - but in some ways its nice to have a position or two that you know can be upgraded to make you better. Thus far I think GK is one - hope I'm proved wrong cos he seems a decent sort.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game. Thanks West ham.
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

LeonRivers wrote:Of course it is impossible to tell for sure, but we should boo him just in case.

Couldn't agree more.
We should all boo him jso if he is pi55ed off he will have a good reason to sulk and look disinterested!!!!!!!

Whilst I'm actually being iconic I can imagine that some of our fans take to doing that before the season is out.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Nobody is going to boo Reid, but I don't see the problem with expressing concern that a player who some would have argued at the start of the season was our biggest asset, does not appear to be playing anywhere near at the top of the game.

It could just be a dip in form, he could be carrying a knock that we don't know about, but with the lack of progress in the contract department, it could well be a motivation issue.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

From the BBC.......

West Ham completed 387 passes against Hull - their highest tally in a Premier League away game since May 2010
The draw was their first in 19 Premier League games having won eight and lost 10 of their previous 18