Aston Villa 1-0 West Ham Utd (09/05/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

snooperpooper
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: Aston Villa vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by snooperpooper »

w4hammer that is an excellent and real post, summed up beautifully you should send that to the club, shame the players can't put in the same passion
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Dreadful day yesterday. Villa fans in the pub afterwards were stunned at how bad we were.

I imagine our midfield couldn't wait to get off the pitch. Westwood, Delph, Cleverley and Grealish gave them the absolute run around. Was difficult to watch at times.

Only positive I could take out of yesterday was that young Burke looks like he has been playing in the Prem for years. Another impressive and mature performance.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Nesticles wrote:Dreadful day yesterday. Villa fans in the pub afterwards were stunned at how bad we were.

I imagine our midfield couldn't wait to get off the pitch. Westwood, Delph, Cleverley and Grealish gave them the absolute run around. Was difficult to watch at times.

Only positive I could take out of yesterday was that young Burke looks like he has been playing in the Prem for years. Another impressive and mature performance.

Ill give you that- thought Burke and collins did very well..thats a decent partnership and who knows could save us a few £million
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Humbug wrote:There is something very wrong with Amalfi.
RM6 wrote: Indeed. He's French.
I very rarely laugh at written words but that got me...
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

poplargeezer wrote:Why arern't we using these games to give the youngsters a run out?
Sod it, i'll bite. Like who?
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

I was working during the match yesterday so I had skysports written commentary up and I could not believe how awful we were. Even better I got a call from the club not long after Villa scored asking if I wanted to buy a season ticket next year! I could not believe the timing of it, great marketing skills there - "Hi there, we are currently playing **** but would you like to fork out £700 to watch the same dross next season?" No thanks!

On a positive note, Collins is doing well from the sound of it and Burke isn't looking out of his depth which is very encouraging. Look back at who Tomkins had to learn from when he came into the team, GInge is the complete opposite to how Upson was, hopefully this will help Burke develop.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

Bergen Hammer wrote: If you knew me, you'd know something was seriously wrong as I'm a ****ing junky to West Ham and football in general, but unless we take action to bring just a hint of good feel, optimism, just the slightest bit of hope and anticipation that we will at least attempt to attack and play football, I'm done.

Not alone mate. I get where you are coming from.

You echo Majors thoughts...

And if Major feels that way there is something very, very wrong.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Billydinho wrote:I've said this numerous times but we play an extra midfielder or a narrow four, so how can we never win the ball or keep it?
nickkarkie wrote: I can easily give you the answer, because we don't press, we drop back and have midfielders who make no attempt to close down or go with runners. when you lose the ball you should immediately try and get it back and if that fails then you drop back into shape.
Very true, and for those of you who thought Villa were pony , have a look at how hard they worked compared with us .

Good old fashioned application .Competiting . Winning the personal battle before the team battle .
w4hammer wrote:Villa, like qpr and the rest didnt have to do much., anything to beat us- they were ****ing pony and even then we didnt get a shot on target until about the 60th minute:
I disagree, I thought they worked very hard pressing our back line , battling in midifield and crucially had Benteke up top to whom the ball stuck .

Had Benteke been up top for us yesterday we would have won easily .The fact we had Valencia confirms our tactics were completely wrong .We were playing as if we had Benteke .

I'd have started yesterday with Cole and Nene up top, however that would have meen a problem to Sam because had he done so he would be saying we had wasted £12m on Enner .

Which of course, we have .
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

That first half was just shocking.

I think there a lots wrong with us currently.

To start Nolan over Song against a midfield like that with its amazing new found energy and drive was criminal.

And because of that, the first half panned out as it did.

There's a serious problem with Amalfitano, especially in away way games.

Allardyce has really struggled to motivate this team at the tail end of the season and IMO it could be, given the performances or lack of them, a reason for him to lose his job.

These performances are completely sucking the life out of the support.

This ownership better be very ****ing careful with what they do this summer.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

What's worse, Mullins over Mascherano or Nolan over Song?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

To be fair to Sam, Song did deserve dropping.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I'd have started yesterday with Cole and Nene up top, however that would have meen a problem to Sam because had he done so he would be saying we had wasted £12m on Enner .

Which of course, we have .
Or he could have started with Valencia and Cole, with Nene behind
Whufc06
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Valencia started his career with us promisingly. Funnily enough that was with support and the ball played along the deck into areas he could utilise his pace.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

DannyboyDJL wrote:To be fair to Sam, Song did deserve dropping.
He did but if Song deserved dropping, what has Nolan deserved for the last two years?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Billydinho wrote:
He did but if Song deserved dropping, what has Nolan deserved for the last two years?
Totally agree. My original post was "To be fair to Sam, Song did deserve dropping, but then so does Nolan." but I deleted the Nolan bit because we were talking about Song. I'd have dropped Nolan 2 seasons ago.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

QPR capitulation at this moment - disgraceful effort (if you can call it that) by their players. Glad it wasn't us!!! We just need about 5 good players in midfield and attack. So far, we've done okay with a weakish squad (and I include Nolan,Cole,Jarvis,Song,Amalfitano,Downing,Nene and Noble as all mediocre type players). Sam has actually done okay keeping us in the Prem with this squad (albeit with limited funds) but time to get 'better/fitter/mentally strong' replacements.
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

Humbug wrote:QPR capitulation at this moment - disgraceful effort (if you can call it that) by their players. Glad it wasn't us!!!
Yea can you imagine? Getting stuffed 6-0 at City. Glad that's something we wouldn't do - not under Sam!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Billydinho wrote:What's worse, Mullins over Mascherano or Nolan over Song?
The Javier Mascherano we had was a disinterested one that just constantly looked for Hollywood passes and thought he had more time on the ball then he did. He also acted like a baby when Defoe gave him a nip with his bullet teeth (you've got to love that, Defoe is a millionaire yet he still looks like he's been trying to catch bullets with his gnashers!!!!) Mullins was a far more suitable option than anything else we had on our books.

As for Nolan over Song, you almost could say the same again, at times, but Song has had moments in the claret and blue where he has looked a class apart, it's just a shame most of those moments were in 2014.
Whufc06
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Even during Songs worst games he has still contributed more than Nolan. He's a waste of space.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Whufc06 wrote:Even during Songs worst games he has still contributed more than Nolan. He's a waste of space.

:?