PSF: Colchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (21/07/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Re: Colchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

^^^^

The ticket price was a touch naughty but I'm guessing Colchester had most of their first team playing , and there was a decent turn out for a friendly .

The Colchester lads were considerably more streetwise , had the art of the snidey little fouls off to a tee - tugging on shirt sleeves etc and our young lads struggled a touch but they'll learn from it .

Nice to see cheeky chappy George Moncur earning a living in the game .Good for him .

Superb turn out by our support .
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Thanks for the info from those who went!

Could you please enlighten us with how our lads looked? In particular Oxford, Page and Cullen who, after all, have already played Europa League.

It would also be interesting to know how young master Cole looked.

It would seem some of the other kids: Samuelsen, Burke, Pike etc. are being rested for the trip to Malta...
whu98jb

Post by whu98jb »

I went tonight and was really annoyed that the club didn't say anything about this being a development squad game. Why was payet and Sakho not involved? Anyway Reece Oxford and josh Cullen I thought looked good but rest were very disappointing and don't expect to see devante Cole play many more games for us
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

I never learn...£15 and half a day +++ to see the kids play lol
It don't help that none have there names on shirts...Obviously scouts and trialists I expect.
first half was a bit like men v boys strength wise and whilst we defended well, we couldn't keep the ball up the field.
2nd half we was better but not sure how many Colchester took off after.
For me it was a fivers worth at most as unless you are a regular at youth matches you wouldn't know if some played for West ham or East ham facial wise.
I was chatting to a fan from Suffolk who was moaning about in his words the 2 bob cup and that he only goes to the friendlies to which told him I like seeing a mix of young and 1st team players and being competitive and at only a tenner who can moan....wish I had seen him after the game lol...
Because that's the end of my friendlies lol
Syphalis

Post by Syphalis »

I spent £35 + food + drink for me and my 2 girls to watch the Development team and I do feel a bit ripped off as it was not advertised as a Development Team fixture.
Surely a few 1st teamers could have played some part ?
It was a fairly dull performance from our team, we rarely threatened, can only remember 1 real chance in the 2nd half which Brown hit the target with but the keeper saved well.
Oxford looked very decent considering his age, won everything in the air, can ping a pass and reminds me very much of Rio when he was breaking through.
The rest though didn't really shine though, up front we lacked movement, Brown looked a bit overweight and unfit and Cole just looked a bit lazy to me. Don't expect to see us sign him up !
Our right back Westley had an awful game, positionally poor & regulary outmuscled he stood out as the worst player on the pitch on the night.
A real disappointing night to be honest.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Syphalis wrote: Our right back Westley had an awful game, positionally poor & regulary outmuscled he stood out as the worst player on the pitch on the night.
Ah, the trainer's son...
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Syphalis wrote:Our right back Westley had an awful game, positionally poor & regulary outmuscled he stood out as the worst player on the pitch on the night.
That is so unlike us to sign a youngster because of their father/brother too.........

When will we ever learn? George Moncur, Dan Potts, Anton Ferdinand, Graeme Carrick, Olly Lee spring to mind. And unlike most I don't actually rate Elliot Lee either. Andy Cole's son had a stinker last night aswell didn't he.

Sign players for their ability. Not their second name :thup:
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Syphalis wrote:I spent £35 + food + drink for me and my 2 girls to watch the Development team and I do feel a bit ripped off as it was not advertised as a Development Team fixture.
Surely a few 1st teamers could have played some part ?
It was a fairly dull performance from our team, we rarely threatened, can only remember 1 real chance in the 2nd half which Brown hit the target with but the keeper saved well.
Oxford looked very decent considering his age, won everything in the air, can ping a pass and reminds me very much of Rio when he was breaking through.
The rest though didn't really shine though, up front we lacked movement, Brown looked a bit overweight and unfit and Cole just looked a bit lazy to me. Don't expect to see us sign him up !
Our right back Westley had an awful game, positionally poor & regulary outmuscled he stood out as the worst player on the pitch on the night.
A real disappointing night to be honest.
Can understand why you feel ripped off and a shame your girls couldn't see any of the first team in action. But tbh surely you should have realised once our entry in the Europa Cup was confirmed the friendlies would be like that?

Having said that £35 for you and 2 kids is very steep, even if it had been the whole first team. It was only a friendly after all. But ticket prices would be Colchester's decision so we can't really be held accountable.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Well done to those who went, can understand you feeling a bit cheated. Our communication has improved, but still needs work, the text updates were a bit stop start also.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Given we played a strong -ish squad saturday, with Thursday & Saturday coming up I can believe anyone would have thought it would be anything other than a young/scratch squad.

My advice is sack everything off until the Arsenal game. I am.. :scarfer:
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

The positives were that Reece Oxford and his centre half partner looked comfortable. Josh Cullen had a good game. We packed out the away end again.
Spiegle in goal has looked worried everytime I have seen him. Even in the warm up. and he definately struggles to get airbourne to shots. But he made some good saves in the second half.
Sam Westley was very poor. I know this was a team full of kids, but he looked about 14 trying to play adult football. Far too slight, and you could see he was blowing after half hour.
I didn't realise it was Andy Cole's son although I recognised the name from Man City. Not worth looking at any further on that performance.
To echo what the others have said, it was a bit rough that the game was changed to a 'West Ham XI' game only hours before kick off. I took half a day off work, two and a half hours to get there there and got back to Northampton at mid-night due to a12 and m25 roadworks. I will always go and watch the dev squad when the opportunity is there, but wouldn't have stretched myself as much as I did. There was a lot of families there with young kids that would have been disapointed. Even Sakho and Payet playing in the side that played yesterday would have been something.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

w4hammer wrote:
My advice is sack everything off until the Arsenal game. I am.. :scarfer:
Sound advice in my view.
Pre-season has and will always be total *****.
Col Hammer
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Col Hammer »

Echo most peoples thoughts on game & squad really, but fair play to Reece Oxford as he came over to Colchester stand after whistle to sign and chat with a lot of younger hammers fans in there, does look a very bright prospect both on & off pitch :thup:
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Yes Funky Chicken agree but Clive Charles was half decent in days gone by...........Just sayin' :crest:
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

As somebody who watches the Development Squad several times a season, it didn't particularly bother me the side that we had out. It was interesting to see them start from scratch against a team that looked full of reasonably experienced players.

Experience put the youngsters under pressure and they really struggled with it in the first half.

It must have been a shock for Oxford and Cullen compared to the lightweights from Andorra.

To be fair they gave a better account of themselves in the second half when we at least tried to take the game to them a bit more, especially with a couple of the substitutions..

There were little spells from individual players, but what worries me is you don't see a lot of composure on the ball, it's a long time since I saw a player at this level where you just knew he was going to make it to the first team and could stay there.
colchesteriron

Post by colchesteriron »

These games are about generating income for clubs that are not in the top flight, and therefore a crowd of 6,000 at £15 a head plus is good news for ColU. It was also probably a good experience for the development squad.

What was disappointing was that there were a lot of families, and for the younger children it was probably their first experience of watching the Hammers at a ground. I don’t suppose there will be too many of them looking forward to their first ‘real’ game after last night.

An appearance by one or two ‘names’ that are not going to Malta might have been something, even if they had only signed autographs at half time,or let the fans take selfies etc.

Poor PR from West Ham.
KHammer89

Post by KHammer89 »

Didn't go but had a mate who did,
said the kids done ok but were stifled by a far more experience team which is pretty much to be expected
was hacked off paying 15 quid for a ticket though with not a first teamer in sight
Chard

Post by Chard »

It wasn't advertised as a West Ham XI game. It was advertised as Colchester United vs West Ham United in the same way that Saturdays game was advertised as Southend United vs West Ham United.

Its understandable that we played a weak team given that we have a competitive match 2 days later but I at the very least expected 2 or 3 "fringe" players from the first team squad and I also expected Bilic on the touchline.

£15 was a piss take.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Let's hope we play a few of the big guns vs Charlton on Saturday!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Yea Why Not wrote:Let's hope we play a few of the big guns vs Charlton on Saturday!
its not likely though.... is it ?

would rather we played a stronger squad in malta than charlton