West Ham Utd 2-3 Leicester City (18/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Leicester City: match thread

Post by richneal »

Biggest issues we have for this game are the same ones we had back in Aug - striker and RB.

Byram will get shredded if we play him against Leicester. Don't let him near the pitch.

I don't have good RB solutions other than the stop gap ones we've seen so far this season. Agree that Kouyate is wasted at RB - he should replace Noble in midfield - but I don't see anyone doing better. Rock and a hard place. Least worst option is three at the back with a RWB & LWB, not sure that a roll of the dice with either Fernandez or Antonio at RWB is even worth considering.

Tactically I don't see anything but a 3-5-2 to avoid a stuffing - but I'm not even sure if we've got a fit Carroll up front . . . let alone the second striker to make it happen. Again I'd be tempted to throw Antonio up there - hardly a precedent-setting combo of a biggun & littlun' but this is nothing more than a desperate attempt to make something happen.

Regardless of formation, if we come out with the same lack of commitment in midfield we showed against Bournemouth this will be a tonkin for Leicester.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:It's actually quite hard to choose a line up. We have three quality players that, for me, all play in a similar position. That's Ayew, Lanzini, and Fernandes.

Ayew plays best centrally offering support to the striker. I don't feel he's a natural winger at all.

Lanzini is obviously an attacking central midfield player.

Fernandes for me, seems at his best when going forward with the ball in a central position. He can pick out a good pass and has good feet. I believe he was a central attacking midfield player for his previous club (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Being tall, black, and athletic does not automatically make him the next Kouyate. The games where he's been asked to play the defensive midfield role, he's looked anonymous much of the time.

Ideally, you'd love all three to be playing but when we play most of the time with 1 striker and 1 central attacking midfielder, it means the only way to do that would be to shoehorn them into the side in positions where they would not be at their most effective.

It could be possible to play either Lanzini or Fernandes as a box to box player but this would increase the work and responsibility of Obiang
You could play Lanzini and Ayew behind Carroll, and then play with a very wide midfield three of Antonio, Obiang and Snodgrass. Leaves us pretty exposed in the middle, though.

I doubt we're going to change from 4-2-3-1, I just hope Slav sees that when we actually played a right back at right back this weekend we saw the benefits of it. Notable from the heat map against Bournemouth is that we basically didn't have a right winger on the pitch - Antonio did most of his work left and central, Feghouli was very central, Lanzini was left and central, Kouyate offensively barely got into the final third, Carrol tends to the left when coming away from his central striker position. It wasn't until we had both Snodgrass and Byram on that we started to really work Charlie Daniels a bit and stretch the Bournemouth defence.

Get Byram on from the start at right back, give Masuaku a chance at left back, stick with Fonte and Reid in the middle. Going forward, I think the time has come to give Ayew a run centrally, with Lanzini centrally behind him and Antonio and Snodgrass on the wings. That's a front four that will run and lead from the front, plus will stick wide and stretch the Leicester defence.

We haven't won since Saints away and I can't see that changing, but we have to make some changes to the team - it's not working, and it's the same personnel each weekend that it's not working with.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Randolph
Kouyate Reid Fonte
Fernandes Noble Obiang Masuaku
Lanzini
Antonio Ayew

Kouyate told to sit on Vardy, Fernandes and Masuaku getting forward. Antonio and Ayew against Morgan and Huth should bring us joy. Lanzini with a free role in the middle to do what he can with the ball.

Cresswell gets a kick up the ass, Carroll isn't with it at the moment so Ayew gets a start.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Leicester to win, Vardy scoring, Huth and Morgan wrestling our players to the ground and getting off scott free, us to concede yet another penalty for something seemingly much less harsh, their fans to sing "you're not West Ham any more" and this place to go into meltdown.

Or..........

A dominant performance with a 3-0 win :scarfer:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

JerseyHammer wrote:Leicester to win, Vardy scoring, Huth and Morgan wrestling our players to the ground and getting off scott free, us to concede yet another penalty for something seemingly much less harsh, their fans to sing "you're not West Ham any more" and this place to go into meltdown.

Or..........

A dominant performance with a 3-0 win :scarfer:
Haven't seen enough of post-Ranieri Leicester to see if they'll be back to last year's form or not.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Scenes at 2pm on Sat when Kouyate is at RB, Ayew and Byram on the bench
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Respect the point...or rather...pray for the point. We just look so disjointed.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Lose this and we are back in the relegation dogfight... :thdn:
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

I would like to see the follow 2 things:

Adrian back in the team

A right back playing right back
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Row X wrote:I would like to see the follow 2 things:

Adrian back in the team

A right back playing right back

So you mean something like :

---------------------Adrian

Byram---------Fonte---------Reid--------Cresswell/ Arthur

-------Kouyate / Noble----------------------Obiang-------------------

Antonio---------------Lanzini--------------------Ayew

----------------------------Carroll
Scarhead

Post by Scarhead »

Pob! wrote:Lose this and we are back in the relegation dogfight... :thdn:
I'm not sure we're even out of it at the moment are we?
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Carroll needs to be dropped imo. All our best footballing performances have been without him in the team. Ayew up front for me.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

As much as i don't think Randolph has done anything in particular to be dropped i'd bring Adrian back in. I think he's quicker off his line than Randy and with speedy gonvardy tearing about the place i think he might have to come out of his box sweeper style a few times.

I also go with replacing Carroll with Ayew. We need speed against Leicester's back four. Cloggers Huth and Morgan will enjoy smacking Andy about. They wont like somebody running at them with pace.

Adrian
Cresswell
Reid
Collins
Fonte (i'll go with Pinky here. We've tried everybody else. Not sure this is the game to throw Byram back in)
Obiang
Kayoute
Lanzini
Noble
Antonio
Ayew
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:As much as i don't think Randolph has done anything in particular to be dropped i'd bring Adrian back in. I think he's quicker off his line than Randy and with speedy gonvardy tearing about the place i think he might have to come out of his box sweeper style a few times.

Worked well last time. :lol:
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I'm just glad Leicester have won recently.

Otherwise we would have yet another team ending their winless run against us.
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Biggest game of the season for me...wife and her family are LCFC. Do not lose this West Ham.

Bilic needs to work on his game plan big time this week. Play our usual slow, ponderous passing game and they will soak it up and pick us off on the break.

I would play with as much pace as possible, especially on the flanks. Get it up front and on the wings as quickly as possible, get some incisive passes going. For that reason, I would have Carroll as sub, Morgan and Huth would negate his threat, give them Lanzini, Ayew and Antonio to think about instead. If he came on with about 15-20 mins to go and put himself about then, we may get something form that when they are tiring. Not sure what I would do about Steptoe - maybe get the midfield to stop the through ball going to him, get Randolph to practice coming off his line?

Hopefully they will get beat tomorrow night and be on a bit of a downer - could do with some of theirs getting an injury too. They seem to steer well clear of injuries though unfortunately.

I don't think we have beaten them since Konchesky passed the ball to Andy Carroll at UP? We can do this, come on West Ham. :crest:
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Once again, Leicester will be proper fired up just like Bournemouth were. I don't see us not losing this game.

3-0 Leicester
Okazaki (6)
Vardy (24)
Ranieri (69)
Regista

Post by Regista »

coyi27 wrote:Scenes at 2pm on Sat when Kouyate is at RB, Ayew and Byram on the bench
You forgot Lanzini on the left.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

I really hope Slav changes things around, I'd start with Ayew and leave Carroll on the bench, It's all too predictable otherwise.
I could imagine the owners getting itchy trigger fingers if we perform poorly and lose.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

-----------------------Randolph

Byram----------Fonte------Reid---------Masuaku

-------------Noble----Obiang----Kouyate----------

---------------------Ayew----Lanzini-------------------

--------------------------Carroll--------------------------

If Noble's out then replace him with Fernandes as the deep lying ball player with a licence to get forward

The above formation could easily alter to a 4-3-3 with Lanzini and Ayew working the Channels. Also gives Lanzini a bit more protection behind, meaning he doesn't need to keep dropping so deep. Both Ayew and Lanzini can stay further up the pitch close to carroll for the long balls, and take advantage of his flick ons that would normally go to nobody.