Manchester Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (13/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

traxop

Re: Manchester United vs West Ham United match thread

Post by traxop »

We probably have a better chance against United than we would against the likes of Liverpool and City(with their high intensity press) as long as they don't start with Martial and Rashford. Lukaku isn't going to dazzle or bamboozle the defence with his pace or guile and Pogba, for all his potential still isn't as influential as De Bryne or Silva in pulling the strings.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

We have to go with a back three:

------------------ Hart ------------------
---- Kouyate -- Reid -- Ogbonna
Zab --- Noble -- Obiang -- Cresswell
---------- Lanzini --- Arnautovic -----
-------------- Hernandez ---------------

No confidence in the result though....
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

Morocco Mole wrote:We have to go with a back three:

------------------ Hart ------------------
---- Kouyate -- Reid -- Ogbonna
Zab --- Noble -- Obiang -- Cresswell
---------- Lanzini --- Arnautovic -----
-------------- Hernandez ---------------

No confidence in the result though....
I think that's our best team
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Zabaleta can't play as a wing back, which rules out a back three for me.

Assuming Reid and Lanzini are fit, and we better hope to the football gods they are or we're in deep doo-doo, I'd go with:

-----------------------Adrian-------------------
--Zabaleta----Reid----Rice---Masuaku--
---------------Noble------Obiang------------
----------Ayew-----Lanzini---Arnautovic--
----------------------Hernandez--------------

The defensive midfield area is weak as I think both Noble and Obiang are average but we have no other options as Fernandes doesn't appear to be ready/suitable for that position. We need a need a new DM/CM.

Despite all the negativity about our preseason, including my own, I reckon we can get something from this IF our best players are out on the pitch (i.e. Hernandez, Lanzini, Reid).
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Zabaleta can play wing back, he may not sprint around the back that often, but it would be no problem having a smarter balance and maybe an experienced head who plays defensively. He steps into midfield a bit, balances behind the right "winger" and also probably allows Masuaku to be pretty free rein to attack.

It isn't happening, we'll start with 4-2-3-1 (which is arguably gonna be a 4-3-3) and change if/when it goes wrong.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Adrian-------------------
--Zabaleta----Reid----Rice---Masuaku--
---------------Noble------Obiang------------
----------Ayew-----Lanzini---Arnautovic--
----------------------Hernandez--------------

Hart - will start over adrian
Rice - hasnt even played pre season as a CB so wont start there against this lot. has looked promising in midfield though. on the bench for him.
Reid - has played half a match pre season following injury, I doubt he will be risked .

so that leaves us with:
Hart
zabaleta fonte ogbonna masuaka
byram noble lanzini obiang arnautovic
Hernandez

subs adrian cresswell collins rice fernandez martinez ayew
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I agree with Dodger, Zabaleta isn't a wing back and never has been. If we accept he's a bit slower now why would we put him in a position that requires him to bomb up and down and get tired after 60 mins (then allowing Martial to dance past?).

But then if we go to a 4 we have the issue of the midfield not holding up and how we need another holding player ( a proper one, not a punt). Still a couple of gaps that need sorting out.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

doubt we will buy a proper DM so the next step is tactics to overcome team weaknesses. can slav coach them sufficiently ?
lets hope so but if we do decide to get rid of him come december then we need to really go big on a proper coach/manager - eddie howe
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Reid and Sakho playing today so hopefully might be in contention for next week's opener
rtwhufc83

Post by rtwhufc83 »

Any decent away pubs anyone knows of?
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Don't understand why some are including the injured Kouyate in their teams.
This is a game we are likely to lose so why risk Reid & Lanzini, two of our most important players who won't be 100%.
------------------Hart---------------
-------Zaba---Fonte---Ogbonna
Byram---Noble--Obiang---Masuaku
--------------Ayew---Arnie------------
---------------Hernandez-------------

Subs: Adrian, Collins, Reid, Lanzini, Fernandes, Snodgrass, Martinez
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Fully expecting Lanzini to still be injured and Martinez to be starting with Chicha on the bench.

Don't see how we win this game, hopefully just a better performance than yesterday.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

There's very little difference in modern game between full back/wing back role both are expected to bomb on,ok a full back a little less..If people don't think zabaleta can play wing back why on earth did we sign him.I'd say we will "HAVE" to play 3 at back at least 12 times this season due to a lack of a proper DM.Therefore you're ruling zaba out of 1/3 of season before it starts.Imo if he isn't good/fast enough to play wing back the same applies to full back.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Manchester United 2 West Ham United 3

Just the sort of result to get the doubters on side and set us up for a crack at Top 6 . :scarfer:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

----------------------Hart

-----------Fonte---Reid---Ogbonna-----------

Byram----------Obiang----------Masuaku

-------Ayew------Lanzini-----Arnautovic---------

------------------Hernandez

Has Zabaleta played as part of a back 3 before? If so then maybe play him instead of Fonte. Obiang needs to help out the defence on occasion - It's very rare that you find him in our penalty box covering for a defender. I'm personally still not convinced that he's a DM. Being good at tackles doesn't necessarily make you a good DM. If he's not doing the job then I think Rice or Zabaleta would thrive in that role, and they certainly wouldn't be shy of getting back in the box to support the defence.

If we're going for a 4-2-3-1 then I'd play:

-----------------------Hart

Zabaleta----Fonte---Reid-----Masuaku

-----------------Rice----Obiang

Byram-----------Lanzini-------------Arnie

-------------------Hernandez

Arnie is a strange one. He's either really good or really bad - and the Stoke fans felt much the same. He's not the type of player to gradually improve throughout the game - therefore if he's had a bad first half then he's first on the list to be substituted for me - Cresswell on and Masuaku on the left wing. I've heard from the Stoke fans that you generally know within the first 10 minutes if Arnie is going to turn up or not. Not too much unlike Payet in that respect. Set pieces aside, there were many games where he did b*llocks all. In a 4-2-3-1, the full-backs need to be prepared to come a bit narrower to tighten things up too. They're stretched too much in my opinion, leaving great big spaces for players to run into. If they're going to get pulled into those wide areas by the touchline then that's when our defensive midfielders need to get back into the box to support the central defenders.

I've left Noble out for this one but that doesn't mean I'd have him out for every match. I just think the midfielders need to be a bit more defensively aware for this one - and dropping Lanzini is unthinkable.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

10?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

only1post wrote:10?
well spotted! I'll amend that :)
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

We'll give them a right go, and that's all we ask isn't it?
With Lanzini, Arnie, Ayew and Chicharito as our prime attacking options I'm certain we'll make chances.
First game of the season, give us something to look forward to for the rest of the season. :crest:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I think with Lanzini not match fit, he probably won't start and with Antonio out I reckon Bilic should just shut up shop. If he tries to win without those two to cut through it will be suicide. 5 across the middle and 1 up front and hope to stifle the game my only idea of avoiding an embarrassment. We will need to break them down coming forward or they will run riot. Crosses and dead balls our best hopes of scoring (what's new?) and Arnie & Ayew out wide looked sharp against City, so I'm hopeful there may be a goal in there for us. Our ace in the hole is Chica, he will be up for it against his old club but will he get any service and will he get frustrated if not?
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

traxop wrote:... Lukaku isn't going to dazzle or bamboozle the defence with his pace or guile...
Yeah, definitely can't see Lukaku causing us any problems :lol: