West Ham Utd 2-0 Watford (10/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'd imagine it would be more sensible to ease him back into the side, but we'll see.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

MorthwylMawr wrote:Atmosphere will be toxic, Lord knows what it will be like when watford score first.
A half hearted effort of “bubbles”, a few random “come on you Irons” followed by feet stomping when we get close to goal, or a bit of random booing if they take the lead and one or two shouts of “come on West Ham”

The only protest you’ll see in that place is for the wrong change being handed over for a Heineken or Bulmers
Last edited by e17 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I expect something like:

-------------------------------------Adrian
-------------------Fonte---------Ogbonna--------Reid
Zabaleta----------Kouyate-----------Noble------Cresswell
------------------------------------Mario
------------------Arnautovic----------------Hernandez

Subs: Hart: Collins: Byram: Rice: Antonio: Hugill: Cullen or Haksabanovic

If we're losing at 65, Antonio for Hernandez, if we're winning it will be Rice.
NottinghamTom

Post by NottinghamTom »

Press the f**king issue. 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1.

Watford are in just as big a mess as we are & we need to take advantage of that, hoping having Antonio fit to start. I’d Risk Arnie too. Front 4 of Antonio, Arnie, Mario, Chicha... we should create chances. If he goes 7/8 defenders again I’ll be livid

Adrian

Zaba Reid Ogbonna Cress

Noble Kouyate (either next to or more advanced)

Antonio Arnie Mario

Chicha

Try to win the game of football, absolutely sick of playing so defensive.

Lose this and we’re brown bread.
NottinghamTom

Post by NottinghamTom »

e17 wrote: A half hearted effort of “bubbles”, a few random “come on you Irons” followed by feet stomping when we get close to goal, or a bit of random booing if they take the lead and one or two shouts of “come on West Ham”

The only protest you’ll see in that place is for the wrong change being handed over for a Heineken or Bulmers
Completely agree, each week we expect the atmosphere to be toxic but the apathy within the stadium plays right into the boards hands.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

NottinghamTom wrote:Try to win the game of football, absolutely sick of playing so defensive.

Do you not see the contradiction in this?

Only way we go to four at the back is if the front four work their arses off which means no Hernandez (not his game) or Antonio (thinks it is beneath him). Even then it is asking for trouble the way we defend.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

NottinghamTom wrote:Press the f**king issue. 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1.

Watford are in just as big a mess as we are & we need to take advantage of that, hoping having Antonio fit to start. I’d Risk Arnie too. Front 4 of Antonio, Arnie, Mario, Chicha... we should create chances. If he goes 7/8 defenders again I’ll be livid

Adrian

Zaba Reid Ogbonna Cress

Noble Kouyate (either next to or more advanced)

Antonio Arnie Mario

Chicha

Try to win the game of football, absolutely sick of playing so defensive.

yep, couldn't agree more. Going all defensive isn't getting us many wins

Would love to see the team you suggested. Just spend some time on the training ground drilling in the shape and the defensive side of it. Noble and Kouyate don't have to attack much so can sit. let the other four get on with it

If this is a bit cavalier for Moyes taste then at least play Arnie, Mario and Hernandez

i we play two attacking players and hope for a 1-0 then we will lose
MB

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: yep, couldn't agree more. Going all defensive isn't getting us many wins

Would love to see the team you suggested. Just spend some time on the training ground drilling in the shape and the defensive side of it. Noble and Kouyate don't have to attack much so can sit. let the other four get on with it

If this is a bit cavalier for Moyes taste then at least play Arnie, Mario and Hernandez

i we play two attacking players and hope for a 1-0 then we will lose
Noble cannot sit and be the transition player. We don’t have another transition player in the squad. You’d be relying on the fullbacks and we know how that pans out...

To play football we need to free up Noble which means two playing alongside him.

I also assume you were joking when you put Kouyate sitting and “shape” in the same paragraph?
Crouchend_Hammer

MB wrote:
Noble cannot sit and be the transition player. We don’t have another transition player in the squad. You’d be relying on the fullbacks and we know how that pans out...

To play football we need to free up Noble which means two playing alongside him.

I also assume you were joking when you put Kouyate sitting and “shape” in the same paragraph?
Noble doesn't have to be the transition player. Mario can do that. Noble and Kouyate can stick in front of the back four. It worked a few times in 2015/16

Fine, if that is not possible just make sure Arnie, Mario and Hernandez are playing from the start

To be honest, we are going to concede goals whatever we do, so may as well try and score more than Watford. We are more likely to win 4-3 than 1-0
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

I'm half expecting them to beat Chelsea tomorrow which means they'll turn up at our place with a spring in their step.

Due to midfield deficiencies we will most probably line up with our usual 6 defenders (minimum) and try and get the ball to Antonio (don't see Arnie making this one) who will fail to track back and be blowing out his ass after 15 mins.

I'd actually stick Zabaleta in the middle again and I'd avoid Antonio as I don't believe he is either fit or interested. Give the new kid a start in this with little pea alongside

Adrian
Rice Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
Byram Noble Zabaleta Mario
Hugill Hernandez

I will stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 win
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

We had 6 defenders on the pitch and let in 3 goals against Brighton. Does anyone really think keeping it tight and sitting back is the answer? Looking forward to Moyes' departure at the end of the season, REALLY looking forward to GSB ****ing off one day.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

4-2-3-1

Give the defence as much cover as possible by playing zab and rice as the two. Both know how to pass the ball too. Play Noble as one of the attacking 3 along with mario and antonio. Arnie for antonio if he's fit

We need to start dominating midfield, and even more importantly, we need to start learning how to retain possession in the attacking half of the field.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

TheHandOfDog wrote:We had 6 defenders on the pitch and let in 3 goals against Brighton. Does anyone really think keeping it tight and sitting back is the answer? Looking forward to Moyes' departure at the end of the season, REALLY looking forward to GSB ****ing off one day.
I don't think the problem is Moyes. We have such a poor squad he has no other options to pick from. I'd personally like to see him with a fully fit squad and see who he picks before getting on his case too much.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Watford haven't won in their last 5 league games and have only won 1 in their last 12.

And people think we're going to win this game :lol:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

TheHandOfDog wrote:We had 6 defenders on the pitch and let in 3 goals against Brighton. Does anyone really think keeping it tight and sitting back is the answer?
The first goal was, in large part, because we didn't sit in.

The wing backs had pushed on and one of the midfielders got sucked into chasing the ball around instead of holding his position - leaving a free player behind him who made the assist - which was also enabled by one of the centre backs being half asleep and failing to hold a line.
MB

Post by MB »

Burnley Hammer wrote:4-2-3-1

Give the defence as much cover as possible by playing zab and rice as the two. Both know how to pass the ball too. Play Noble as one of the attacking 3 along with mario and antonio. Arnie for antonio if he's fit

We need to start dominating midfield, and even more importantly, we need to start learning how to retain possession in the attacking half of the field.
Who would you play at right back? That is the main downside. Otherwise, I quite like that as an idea.
Crouchend_Hammer

bubbles1966 wrote:
The wing backs had pushed on and one of the midfielders got sucked into chasing the ball around instead of holding his position - leaving a free player behind him who made the assist - which was also enabled by one of the centre backs being half asleep and failing to hold a line.
This is the point though. We fill the team with defensive players, and still can't defend.

Trouble is, we are then rubbish going forward because of it

May as well dial up the attacking threat by getting more attacking players on the pitch as at least then we might create some chances
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Think we’ll lose this

Watford seem to have the physical game, pace and tenacity that most exposes our weaknesses

They’ve been playing with no confidence lately but playing against a team they know they dominated earlier in the season will help - as it did Brighton

A loss and real squeaky bum time is my fear

Hope i’m wrong obviously.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:This is the point though. We fill the team with defensive players, and still can't defend.

Trouble is, we are then rubbish going forward because of it

May as well dial up the attacking threat by getting more attacking players on the pitch as at least then we might create some chances
The issue isn't 'defensive' or 'attacking' - the issue is whether they are any good or not.

That team yesterday was full of bang average or fading players. They are a mix of bottom half PL and top half Championship standard with the odd exception. They were going for three's and four's earlier in the year in an 'attacking' (losing) 4-2-3-1 set up.

All the teams at our level (7th-19th) are overwhelmingly dependent on a small number of players in their group to add sparkle and class. Take them away , the football quality dips as do the results.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I hope Arnie is back, but almost as important is getting Reid and Fonte back too as yesterday Collins, Ogbonna and Rice all had their worst displays of the season. I would play Rice at defensive midfield and move Zabaleta back to the right as he is just too slow when paired with Noble and the ever AWOL Kouyate. If Annie isn’t available, I’d play Hugill up top with Chicharito just to give us some hold up play and Drop Joao Mario in front of Rice and Noble.

Adrian
Zabaleta, Fonte, Reid/Collins, Ogbonna, Cresswell
Rice, Noble
Joao Mario
Arnautovic/Hugill , Chicharito

Our midfield 3 will have to work very hard, and hopefully Chicharito will do some covering of the right fullback when they have the ball, but I think that offers us the best chance of winning.