West Ham Utd 3-2 Crystal Palace (08/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by Thekorean »

Theres this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ero-rating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:

Rats in their training center dining hall.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

There is something about Roy's Palace that makes me nervous playing them. They are a decent side, a little hit and miss like us, but in Zaha they have a match winner, at worst a pain in the backside for 90 minutes.

Zab will be up against it due to pace from Townsend/Zaha but hopefully his experience will see him through. Will be too much for Antonio, could see at least one pen!

I think we will need at least 2 goals to win, which we are more than capable of, all comes down to our back line and we keep them quite"ish".

So going for a tight 2-1 to the mighty hammers and 3 wins on the bounce :scarfer:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

the question of right back for this one isn't quite as straightforward as it would have been a week ago. I thought Antonio did quite well at right back on Wednesday. He was caught out of position a couple of times later in the game, but a lot of that was us just pushing forward en masse. Junior hoillet is not a top class winger but he is quick and Antonio snuffed him out easily. Zaha has pace to burn, but could struggle to deal with Antonio's physicality. He's not really a dive-in type of tackler but clumsiness could cost us free kicks. Perhaps play him right side of a 442 to stop Zaha before he gets going. That means leaving out supersnod though. This is what pellers gets paid for
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

No way will Perez be dropped... Pellegrini seems to reward those that play well (and punish those that don't).

I can see it being 4-4-2 again, and hopefully Balbuena (who I noticed the other day ranks no.6 for interceptions in the premier league) will be back for this
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Antonio did well on Tuesday but lets be honest Zaha is one of the biggest cheats in the league and Antonio will give away multiple free kicks and at least a penalty if he is up against him.

Zabaleta may struggle with his pace but he won't be stupid enough to dive in from behind and give away a penalty.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

goa127 wrote: Zaha has pace to burn, but could struggle to deal with Antonio's physicality. He's not really a dive-in type of tackler but clumsiness could cost us free kicks. Perhaps play him right side of a 442 to stop Zaha before he gets going. That means leaving out supersnod though. This is what pellers gets paid for
We shouldn't change our shape or setup, stick with the 4-2-2-2 I reckon (as set out by sutts and others). Don't worry one bit about Zaha or anyone else, it's us that they should be worrying about.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I generally agree with your sentiment albie, but palace are totally a one man team. Stop Zaha and you stop palace. Stop palace scoring = west ham win
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Yeah I can see that's true, it's just that as a mindset it's better to be positive!!
Patito

Post by Patito »

They play a weird system this lot. 4-4-2 but the two 'strikers' play as wingers, just without any defensive responsibility.

They are crying out for a decent centre forward to hold the ball up and score a few but Benteke/Wickham are injured which leaves Ayew, not a proper number 9, and Sorloth who is utterly tragic.

Keep hold of the ball, be patient, movement up front and we will create plenty of chances whilst limiting theirs. 2-0 to us I reckon.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

Patito wrote:They play a weird system this lot. 4-4-2 but the two 'strikers' play as wingers, just without any defensive responsibility.
I remember laughing at the start of the match Dynamo Tblisi years ago when they played this weird system at Upton Park.

I wasn't laughing when the final whistle blew.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

I'm more worried about this game than the last two..
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Samba wrote:I'm more worried about this game than the last two..
For sure we won't win.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I watch Palace, with one of theirs, as payoff to a visit to his drum, whenever we're on.

Hennessy is inferior to Fabianski

The CB pairing is fairly solid, in Tomkins and Sakoh, but

1. JT had a total stinker against Brighton, and
2. Sakho is sometimes a little over-confident with the ball at his feet and comes a cropper with his passing.

Wann-Bissaka has got them raving. Another one rolling of the production line, but, by the same token, obviously lacking in experience. Pacy and reasonably adept, ball at feet.

Van Aanolt has a wicked delivery/shot, but is lacking defensively.

Luka Long Name I will mis-spell is the red and blue Mark Noble, with MacArthur and Kouyate side-dudes. Luka is probably their second most valuable player. Often, like the best, allows the game to tick along around him, but strong in the tackle and capable of passing/playing the ball. MacArthur lacks pace, notwithstanding his rangy approach. He's probably more emblematic as their 'Noble', in that he's surely their long-serving player. I am fond of the bloke, but Kouyate seems to me to be the weaker link of that midfield, what with his passes direct to a player, all the time, about 8 yards away; never into space for movement forward to be initiated.

Townsend and Zaha are best understood to be slightly wider forwards, who come out to the touchline to stretch play. I detect an Etherington vibe around the former, in that he often drops out of games, almost as if he doesn't like a rough and ready contest. He does however have a fierce shot, as we all saw last weekend. Zaha is a multi-faceted player, in more ways than one. He can play down the middle, as much as he work a wing; his dribbling is the best in that team; he finds space for shots and works his way into the 18 yard box with ease. He is of course also a diver, when it suits him, but I would say that one thing he has done less of this season is sulk like a baby if either he gets a card for some sim, or he doesn't get decisions he fancies he ought to have had. I think some words have got through, because he has got his head down more and let his football make the message. He is so much their goal threat that we need to ensure we find a way to crowd him out.

But we did that against Hazard.

This match is well within our grasp, so long as we approach it with commonsense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Antonio ahead of Zabaleta, so that, between them, they can nullify the main threat. The only other forward creativity they have is Meyer, who, to me at least, looks too slight to ensure success in this league. He has flitted in and around games, but not to any major degree, so far.

My team:

Signing of the Season

Zaba
Balbuena
Diop
Masuaku

Noble
Rice
Snodgrass

Antonio
Hernandez
Anderson
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Four points from this and the Fulham game would be lovely.

I worry for this one only due to injuries. With a fully fit squad we're smashing this mob.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

I would start with zabaleta, he will worry zaha a lot more than Antonio, he will fancy it more against Antonio, if Zabaleta gets booked then we can bring Antonio on so as not to get a second yellow, you hear Zabaletas up against it when we play against tricky pacey wingers but his aggressive style no nonsense defending wins him most of the battles, after twenty minutes Zaha will probably swap sides to get at Arthur,
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Our lot should be a little fresher as the team has swapped around while Palace have started the same XI on Saturday/Tuesday.

I'm not sure who I'd play beyond Fab, Diop, Arfur, Rice, Snodders and Anderson.

There's a case to be made for Zab, Balbuena, Ogbonna, Noble, Wilshere, Diangana, Antonio, Perez and Hernandez - plus Carroll and Obiang from the bench.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

El Pel has said Wilshere will miss this one.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thought he said he "could" have gone but we chose "not to..."

:?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I quite like the idea of Antonio, Anderson, Perez and Diangana as the front 4 against this lot.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:I quite like the idea of Antonio, Anderson, Perez and Diangana as the front 4 against this lot.
who's your midfield players mate ?

I think Snodders and Rice that leaves out Noble ??

maybe towards the end of a game against tiring defenders..........