West Ham Utd 1-0 Arsenal (12/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Arsenal: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
honestly comparing us to Arsenal over the past 25 years or so is silly.

FA Cup: 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2016–17
PL: 1997–98, 2001–02, 2003–04
Community Shield: 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015, 2017

Also got to the final of the CL. They lost to Barcelona.

:asleep:
Only ****ing you are! All I've done is say we've also had some top class players that they wouldn't have sniffed at had they had them and you've gone into Arsenal loving overdrive. :lol:
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Brooking Bonds and Devo was great West Ham players.

those players I listed are/were World Class.

sadly we have NEVER invested in the long term interests of the club that the faithful supporters we have, deserved.

I can't believe how many people turned up week in week out to see some (I said "some") of the shyte that has been served up.

honestly comparing us to Arsenal over the past 25 years or so is silly.

FA Cup: 1997–98, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2016–17
PL: 1997–98, 2001–02, 2003–04
Community Shield: 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2014, 2015, 2017

Also got to the final of the CL. They lost to Barcelona.

:asleep:
Including Community Shield wins is rather over egging the Arsenal masturbation fest ...Dont ya think ?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

War Pony wrote:Rail replacement on the southend victoria line for anyone coming in from that neck of the woods :thdn:
Shenfield - Stratford is running.

Shenfield onwards is bus replacement.

Happy New Year, fares are up, service is still ****!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

no I mentioned the fact that we lost more games to them than we won, because over time they have had much better players than us overall.

and you chuck in Moore Hurst and Peters.

and that was about 40 years ago, then you chuck in Brooking, Bonds and Devonshire - about 30 years ago. it's like you want to chuck in players who haven't been around forever - which proved what exactly ? did we win loads of games against them then when we actually had those player turning out for us ? on a regular basis ? thought not.

since then I listed the trophies they have won. and you put it down to a "love in."

these are facts. there's a reason why the W-L-D numbers are what they are.

over time, they have had better players, better owners and better managers.

oh and now a better ground.

just exactly what do you disagree with ? that's how this discussion started. why have we lost more games against them than we have won.

I think someone posted only Everton and Liverpool have beaten us more.

and why would that be do you think ?

Shirley not the fact that they have had better players, owners and managers than us ?

wonder what our stats against ManU are ? or Chelsea ? or even Spurs over time ?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

What the f*** are you on about, seriously?? :lol:

f*** knows why you've gone into one comparing other Clubs successes to ours. A mere mention of genuine world class talent we had in Moore, Peter and Hurst has sent you doolally. No one other than you is comparing Clubs inside and out.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

They look like a superb side at home this season but they don't seem to have put their finger on it away yet.
Hammered at Liverpool, drew at Brighton, lost at Southampton, drew at Man Utd... it is certainly not a game we should be writing off by any means.

Rice will need to have a very good game to keep Xhaka quiet. He loves joining the attack from deep in the same way Lampard used to for Chelsea. Poses a big threat.

Their front three (Aubameyang, Iwobi and Lacazette) are quality, no doubt about it. Their movement and interchanging is unreal. Good news is, they very rarely play all three of them away from home. Let's hope that continues. Even if they do play, they are very much the types of players we prefer to play against. It won't be a long ball bombardment and that is where we are most susceptible.

If we can be disciplined and solid in defence we have a real chance to hit them on the break, especially out wide. Anderson will be given plenty of opportunity to get in behind Lichtsteiner who is good for at least a goal per game thanks to a huge concentration issue.

This feels a lot like the Man Utd game earlier this season to me. They pose an obvious and massive threat but we do have every chance of upsetting them as they are far from unbeatable.
Colours never run

They have the same frailties at the back as we do. They can definitely be got at, out trouble is keeping the ball out enough times from our own net is the tricky bit. They'll be just as worried about our forwards and we will theirs. The last time we played them proved that, with a scoreline that heavily flattered them in the end. A game we deserved something out of it.
flakwell hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by flakwell hammer »

if we get at them and the crowd get behind the team they are beatable, Marko and Anderson will need to be on top top form and defensively we need to ensure we don't gift them silly goals.

however i think we can beat them Sat
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

CNR

I suspect you're on a wind up.

the thread mentioned earlier that our results in general have been lopsided against them and I post as to why I think that might be. you jump in, bring up players from 30-40 years ago.

I haven't a clue what you're on but I suspect you might want to ask your doctor to lower your dose.

ignore me mate, I am happy with that.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

sutts07 wrote:They look like a superb side at home this season but they don't seem to have put their finger on it away yet.
Hammered at Liverpool, drew at Brighton, lost at Southampton, drew at Man Utd... it is certainly not a game we should be writing off by any means.

Rice will need to have a very good game to keep Xhaka quiet. He loves joining the attack from deep in the same way Lampard used to for Chelsea. Poses a big threat.

Their front three (Aubameyang, Iwobi and Lacazette) are quality, no doubt about it. Their movement and interchanging is unreal. Good news is, they very rarely play all three of them away from home. Let's hope that continues. Even if they do play, they are very much the types of players we prefer to play against. It won't be a long ball bombardment and that is where we are most susceptible.

If we can be disciplined and solid in defence we have a real chance to hit them on the break, especially out wide. Anderson will be given plenty of opportunity to get in behind Lichtsteiner who is good for at least a goal per game thanks to a huge concentration issue.

This feels a lot like the Man Utd game earlier this season to me. They pose an obvious and massive threat but we do have every chance of upsetting them as they are far from unbeatable.
Regarding Xhaka, he can also be a dirty b*stard when things are not going right for them.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

doesn't Aubameyang play wide left so whoever is playing wide right for us (Antonio/Diangana) needs to help out. that's if Lacazette plays........

their back line is in general awful, Antonio should cause Kolasinac problems and Anderson should be able to get the better of whoever they play RB - Lichtsteiner or Bellerin or maybe they'll drop Maitland Niles back there ?

Arnie should own the two CB's....

then it comes down to really where I expect the battle to be won or lost - MF.

who will they play ? Ozil ? Xhaka for sure. Maitland Niles or move him back ? Ramsey hasn't started many games. Guendouzi - who I think only cost about 7M Euros or thereabout - a steal there...Mkhitaryan ? Torreira and Xhaka look the only certs.

we will need to match them athletically to win this one.........

they play (iirc) a really high line so we could get in behind them pretty easily although Pellers doesn't usually play counter too often. I would love to see us do that a bit more often - one of the only pluses to Moyes team was Arnie bullying CB after CB loads of times from the half way line and sticking the ball into the net.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

It's probably a game too soon to play ol' supergrass from the start given the step up in quality from Birmingham to Arsenal after a year off, but if it's close on 65 mins we won't often have had that level of quality coming off the bench to help see it out.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

As I alluded to earlier, we have had some good results against the Arse (if you really want to go back into the mists of time we beat them 6-0 in the early 60's). But mostly we have been second best. There's a whole variety of reasons for this, which have been mentioned, but it doesn't alter the facts. :(
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I just can't see it. We've been stuttering lately, playing ok in patches but key players are clearly a bit run down, and the defence looks wide open. I hope I'm wrong but I think Arsenal are a level above us just now.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

We've generally seen off the bottom seven but struggled against most other teams (ManU and Everton aside).

Can only see an entertaining defeat 1-3
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

BondsoBob wrote:As I alluded to earlier, we have had some good results against the Arse (if you really want to go back into the mists of time we beat them 6-0 in the early 60's). But mostly we have been second best. There's a whole variety of reasons for this, which have been mentioned, but it doesn't alter the facts. :(
I was a youngster watching that 6-0 game on bonfire day in 1960. Dave Dunmore got a hat-trick. We had a fair record against them in those days and some good wins at Highbury included. They weren't that good all through the sixties really when we had that great cup team. In recent years they have come to be the club I hate the most, probably because I know too many of their overly smug supporters through work and extended family.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^

who probably weren't big fans back when, but amazingly claim to have been on the North Bank, Highbury back when.

funny but I never minded people knowing I was a 'ammer when we were shyte, but most other clubs supporters have only jumped the bandwagon nowadays or kept VERY quiet back in the days when the club they now claim to have followed through thick and thin were awful.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Over the past few years it's normally 1-1 at half time. In a 10 -15 minute period in the second half they score 2 or 3 times. Occasionally we may get a consolation goal.
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

Rocketron wrote:Over the past few years it's normally 1-1 at half time. In a 10 -15 minute period in the second half they score 2 or 3 times. Occasionally we may get a consolation goal.
Since our return to the Prem, I believe we have taken the lead against them 8 times. W1 D1 L6.

Taking the lead v Arsenal seems to piss them right off when we do it.
Last edited by brothernero on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I was going to suggest that we let them take the lead then....

but probably the other times, they've gone on to win anyway, so it's probably a moot point...

8-)