West Ham Utd 3 Blackburn Rovers 1 (13/08/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RoverDave

Post by RoverDave »

Eastbourne Hammer wrote: I was genuinely worried after some of last season's performances (by the crowd) but it seems to have started ok this season. If you felt intimidated inside the ground then that's right. You were safe, seated & had massive police protection. Anyway, by all accounts some West Ham fans were too busy fighting each other.............. It's the crowd's job to silence the away fans & they did well today.

If you felt intimidated outside the ground then that's another matter. A bit of banter's ok, but the days of violence linked to football should be done with now, with the new hard line the police will be taking. I think some people will discover that when they come up in court following todays misbehaviour.

Thanks for your posts though RD & hope you enjoy the return match just as much as you enjoyed this one! :D
Not intimidated inside the ground, just outside on the journey there and back.... inside the ground as im sure you are aware you only here the noise around you, so all i heard was the chanting of the Rovers fans, but being tucked away in the corner, you dont really hear that! We gave the East stand fans as good as we got, some of the chants were a bit on the dodgy side though. :wink: We laid into the fat bloke stood up quite nicely! I normally prefer away games because only the committed fans go and the atmosphere is more compact so its pretty good - and today was no exception, but once i was outside the ground, i couldnt get away quick enough. :D
inquestham

Post by inquestham »

billybondsballbag wrote:Dunno if it's been mentioned (as I've not read the rest of the thread) but the last time we were 1-0 down to Blackburn at UP, we went on to win 2-1 - 29.01.03, our first home win of the relegation season!
I'm looking at this season as a bit of fun anyway - if we go down, we've fulfilled everyone's expectations, but if we stay up, it's a bonus. Let's not get too despondant on the first day of the season, there's a long way to go yet.
great post at a great time, hats off to mr ballbag
spiky_simon

Post by spiky_simon »

I watched the game on Foxtel over here in Aus last night. Well done to the boys, should have a bit of confidence now. I think our pace will trouble a few teams! konchesky looked the business. We could still do with another striker though! Hearing the crowd on the telly was fantastic and all - well done to all those that went.

Come on you Irons!
Hammerdis

Post by Hammerdis »

delighted. The whole team were awesome.

Carroll - Am delighted he is our first choice keeper, Didnt do anything wrong yesterday (7)

Dailly - Suprisingly did well at right back but was caught out several times with pace (7)

Anton - World class. Won everything in the air and was confident on the ball. Hes alrighty better then Rio (9)

Gabbidon - Very solid and commited through out. Looks the goods in my opinion (8)

Konchesky - Performed very well and got stuck in. A quality signing from pards (8)

Yossi - Got stuck in for a small lad and was a constant threat to the rovers defence. 2 Superb assists aswell (9)

Mullins - filled in well and didnt put a foot wrong. Very solid (8)

Reo - Coker - Him and mullins ran the midfield and his goal was awesome. His drive runs from midfield were brilliant and he didnt stop running (10)

Ethers - He was quality. Bout time for he showed his real self. And he looked very very happy when he scored the goal hopefully he is enjoying his football now (8)

Teddy - Neat touches , Quality finish and a constant threat. Can i say more? (9)

Harewood - Posed a real threat but his finishing was atrotcious (6)
Hoggy31

Post by Hoggy31 »

RoverDave wrote:Emerton - he was very poor, i dont remember him doing anything particularly well!
He set it up nicely for Yossi to cross to Etherington. :)
AussieClaret

West Ham Vs Blackburn match thread

Post by AussieClaret »

Waited till midnight to watch the Blackburn match on Foxtel. Just as well there was no cricket. :lol:
OsloHammer

Post by OsloHammer »

You've all seen it now. What a firkin second half, West Ham of old.

Anyway, :doff: to all who went. I had a headache from the noise you were making.

:doff: To every hammer at Bohemen. There were about twice as many spuds, all 20 yo with the same new issue shirt on. They cheered twice (once for each goal they scored), and started to look worried as we screamed "We are top of the league, said we are top of the league" at them. 8-)

Regrets, I've had a few, so here goes. Sorry to all the aussies down the Belfry last night. Your tolerance and patience are much appreciated (had it been me, I'd would have decked meself).

To fat bird, sorry about calling you "fat bird". We had been introduced but I'm a shocker for remembering names. Also you are a Rosenborg supporter and they lost 5 - 2 yesterday, so you deserve anything coming your way. And you are rather on the stout side.

To the rather decent bloke from Cardiff who, seeing my shirt, came up and congratulated me and wished us all the best for the season. I sort of remember dancing in front of you later on, singing something about Gabbidon being a deity. Again, thank you for not punching my lights out.

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll remember some more before I have to go watch the cricket. :oops:
dmyeo66

Post by dmyeo66 »

Top game lads, watched it last night on Sky and again on Match of the Day. This morning watched it all again. Great to hear the ground rocking with you all. Premership.....easy league!! :wink:
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Great day out, funniest moment for me came at Paddington I came out of the toilet and seeing 5 blokes sat around a table I assumed they were West Ham fans went up to them and said "It dont get much better than that" they all looked at me before I saw one of them had a Millwall lion tattooed on his leg, Whoops, talk about taking the pi** !
dmyeo66

Post by dmyeo66 »

cockney farmer wrote:Great day out, funniest moment for me came at Paddington I came out of the toilet and seeing 5 blokes sat around a table I assumed they were West Ham fans went up to them and said "It dont get much better than that" they all looked at me before I saw one of them had a Millwall lion tattooed on his leg, Whoops, talk about taking the pi** !
You plonker Rodney!! Lucky he was feeling so deflated that Millwank are bottom that he didnt punch your lights out mate. Nice though if you meant it!! :wink:
Glad you guys had such a great time.
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by SxHammer »

RoverDave wrote:secondly i would appeal to the West Ham fans to be more welcoming... i felt very threatened throughout the day today - which i have never felt at a football match before.
Ahhh diddums, perhaps we should have been handing out milk and cookies for you!
Pity our drummers were not there today - they always add to the atmosphere.
Pretty much sums Blackburn up, do you play music after goals too?

Well balanced and fair report though!
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

dmyeo66 wrote: You plonker Rodney!! Lucky he was feeling so deflated that Millwank are bottom that he didnt punch your lights out mate. Nice though if you meant it!! :wink:
Glad you guys had such a great time.
Sorry about the call last night as you will gather I was rather PISHED :oops:
RoverDave

Post by RoverDave »

SxHammer wrote: Ahhh diddums, perhaps we should have been handing out milk and cookies for you!
Pretty much sums Blackburn up, do you play music after goals too?

Well balanced and fair report though!
To be fair that post pretty much sums up the thug attitude we experienced yesterday.... I just dont think there is any need or any place for it in the Premiership, when you goto Old Trafford you can walk down the streets after the game with 50000 Man UTD fans and chat away to them about the game, but yesterday myself and a number of Blackburn fans i was with all felt as though they could be started on at any minute. You started on your own fans so whats to stop you starting on us.... If you were trying to make a good impression yesterday, you did that on the pitch, but off the pitch - i'm sorry but you didnt, i came away thinking all Hammers fans were thugs simply because they dont know the meaning of a joke, and it was certainly the worst bunch of supporters that i have ever met. Sorry if that sounds harsh but thats the truth, i thought the reception we recieved was appaulling.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

what happened to nelson ? i think he is your best defender and thought he would play

RoverDave wrote:I dont remember off hand who Mokoena played for before he came to us but he played for Ajax a while back. He is not a central defender where he was played today - last season we played Ryan Nelsen (New Zealand) and Andy Todd at the back - but Nelsen was out today...a big factor in my opinion. Then Hughes played Mokoena in front of the defensive 2 forming the link between defence and midfield which today we didnt have, that is all i can think Hughes was thinking when he brought Gresko on - play Mokoena in his holding position and try and sort the defence out.

But with Mokoena and Todd and no link we looked a shambles! You must remember - this is the first competitive game in almost a year when Rovers havent started 4-5-1! :lol: when they are played in their best positions they are all quality players - i just dont understand what went wrong today. I cant believe we threw it away so badly.

The Dickov tackle was ridiculous! Why? is my only question - he played 8 minutes! I refused to chant "your just a soft southern b*stard" after that tackle - being from Bristol and all. :lol: Pity our drummers were not there today - they always add to the atmosphere.

As Hughes said, things can only improve and i am sure they will, we just had a bad day I hope! Its a long way home from any match to Bristol as it is, let alone when your team loses.... :cry: The record lives on though - I am still yet to see Blackburn ever win!
RoverDave

Post by RoverDave »

Out with a knee injury - massive blow. :cry:
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

RoverDave wrote: Not intimidated inside the ground, just outside on the journey there and back.... inside the ground as im sure you are aware you only here the noise around you, so all i heard was the chanting of the Rovers fans, but being tucked away in the corner, you dont really hear that! We gave the East stand fans as good as we got, some of the chants were a bit on the dodgy side though. :wink: We laid into the fat bloke stood up quite nicely! I normally prefer away games because only the committed fans go and the atmosphere is more compact so its pretty good - and today was no exception, but once i was outside the ground, i couldnt get away quick enough. :D
nice to have you boys there, was in the East stand upper and was close to the fat bloke who was on a one man mission, geezer had me in stiches all afternoon. Some good banter between both sets of fans

thanks for your posts mate, good to have you on the forums
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Thought we played fantastic yesterday and I was really impressed with all the new lads as well as Mullins and Reo-Coker. Cracking atmosphere - it was jumping big time and this time round no one got on the teams back when we went down 1-0 which must of given the lads a massive boost.

Pardew must of said something right at h/t and we came out all guns blazing and outplayed Blackburn the whole of the 2nd half. Great start of the season for us.

My Ratings -

Carroll 7
Konchesky 8
Gabbidon 8
Ferdinand 7
Dailly 7
Etherington 7
Reo-Coker 9
Mullins 8 (Noble 7)
Benayoun 9 - MOTM
Harewood 7
Sheringham 8 (Newton 7)

:) :D :crest: 8-)
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

I know I'm a bit late on this but just got in after returning from Lancaster…

What a game yesterday :)

Thought we where excellent and I only hope we have a few more games like that this year, I particularly thought the new boys looked ace, Gabbidon looks like a blinding signing, Konchesky surprised me with how good he was and Yossi was great on the ball but was also dead pleased with how he got stuck in, and his work rate.
I thought Harewood was brilliant as well, he is gonna be a pain in the arse for teams this year if he can play like that, only one I thought was slightly below par was Dailly but he worked hard in an unfamiliar position…

Most pleasing of all though was the crowd, Bubbles before the game was amazing and the support throughout and lack of critism was excellent, we need this for every game.

Also dead pleased with my ST seat in the BML, excellent atmosphere and cool people around me! Bloody Brilliant day!