West Ham Utd 3 Blackburn Rovers 1 (13/08/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

donkeydobber wrote:Accept it,the only hope of us getting something out of this game is by Pardew buying another three players 1 midfielder 2 strikers before next weekend. We are going to basically come out with the same team as last season if we dont.
I thought our defence was good against Den Haag,but I will be interested to see how they perform in there first Premiership game.Our midfielders and strikers just arn't up to the challenge.
Zamora and Harewood will be invisable. Yossi will be kicked out of the game and Coker wont score again. Only person i'm putting my hopes on is Licka,he looks quality

I am totally ashamed of myself :oops: That has to be one of the worst predictions of a game I have ever come out with. I think I got every aspect of the team wrong in everyway. TOTALLY ashamed and :evil: with myself.
Don't be too hard on yourself Donkeydobber!
Cosole yourself with a healthy dose of Big Tits Round Asses.
:tits:
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

So Happy!!!! :lol:
Seems everyone was fantastic today.

Someone has mentioned that we are one the main games on MOTM, although the TV Guide disagrees, anyone more in the know?
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Got back from the pub a little while back, and cant say much except that I am so ****ing happy. The club done us proud today, and may it continue!!!!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer ... ?gusrc=rss

Brilliant match report.
Paul Konchesky detected that West Ham needed scuffle too, and duly relished the opportunity to knock Savage into the advertising hoardings. The home fans cheered heartily.
8-)
Cometh the hour, cometh one hell of a goal. Reo-Coker's marauding run was crowned by a bullet of a strike which flew past Friedel in a blur
:D :D :D
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

carroll done a few comfortable catches good game overall. 6

anton he will be better than rio. he is so calm on the ball shows real class controls the back 4 and also a good header of the ball unlike rio. 8

gabbidon was good made few mistakes but it was hes first game in a new defence done well. 7

konchesky was quality the whole game really showed class and will be a great signing for us this year. linked well with matty and good at over-lapping. hats off to him for showing savage in the boards will done paul you became an instant hero in doing that 8

dailly done vewry well at right back seeing that aint hes postion. slotted in the postion with out no trouble. good professional. right back needed for cover when repka is injured or suspended 6

mullins did well in midfield won a dew ball but one minute he does something great then cocks it up next. 6

reo coker man of the match played brilliant scored a great goal really took the game by the scruff of its neck. 10

yossi. a real little diamond. 2 assists. tackled well got involved. can do the simple stuff but also has the killer ball about him too. will be our key to success 9

etherington. played well linking up with konchesky scored one a menance to blackburn defence 7

teddy. how long will he be able to carry another good game werent pleased to come off but who wouldnt. 7

harewood. didnt score but scared the blackburn defence i thought he had a good game. 6

subs

newton- looked pretty good when came on. 6
noble- bought on to time waste showed some good touches not on long enough to make a real impact. 6

pards done brillant with hes selection half time team talk 10
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

shame some fans fighting ruined the day a bit
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I'm too tired to write a report....it was a ****ing brilliant game, end of.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

All is good. Got back from the pub, not pissed but I can tell Ive had a few ( :wink: ), well happy, now off to a top bollox mexican to celebrate 6 years with the missus!!!
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

kthammer wrote:we have legends in the making - Yossi was fantastic - he even tackles - NRC was immmense once he got going - and when Marlon corrects his gunsights he's going to get a hatful - and well done Mullins - I thought he kept us in it for long stretches - and Anton looked England class - Blackburn were big and strong but we made them look very very ordinary - this was good old-fashioned West Ham - my buckle was totally swashed by the last 70 minute performance -what a fantastic crodw too - big applause at halftime even 1-0 down - this is going to be a mad season - hang on tight!

that there other than the goals and result was the best bit of the whole game for me
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

I'm surprised so many of you are making NRC MOTM. Superb goal, and certainly played better after that, but up till then I thought he was off the pace. On the other hand, Mullins I thought had a very good game. Got himself around the midlfield well, and made a number of good tackles. Did a lot to stop us getting overrun in the nervy first 20 minutes or so.

I was very impressed by Gabbidon, who looked class. Very sharp, and read situations very well. Alongside him Anton also didn't look out of place at this level, and made a couple of vital challenges late on. Wasn't sure what to make of Konch. Can't fault his effort and support of Matty going forward, but defensively got caught a few times with Rovers getting crosses in behind him, particularly first half. Two good goal-line clearances though. Surprised he got away with only a talking-to in the first half :lol:

Yossi - both a problem and a delight to watch. The problem - if we insist on playing him wide, we will be exposed badly down there, as he has no defensive capability at all. There was often a huge gap on the right and poor old Football Genius at times had to deal with 2 Blackburn players coming at him. He coped well though. Yossi's tendency to drift infield also meant that when other players were looking for someone to play the ball to out wide there was no-one available. On the other hand, give Yossi the ball to feet and we have a player who looks capable of making the runs and playing the passes to open up any defence. We will have to consider how to integrate his creative abilities into the team without leaving ourselves over-exposed defensively.

Overall a very good team performance - and I include the fans as part of the team. I was very pleased to hear applause at the half-time whistle, rather than the boos of recent seasons. We created a fair number of chances against a side that were very difficult to beat last season, which is a plus, and good defending meant that Rovers didn't have too many genuine opportunities except at set-pieces, which is something we must cut out.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Credit were it's due. Welcome back to the Premiership and well done on todays game. Yossi looks a good signing...bugger. To survive you must do as today and get the points of the middling teams at home. Good on you. See you down there at the end of the month.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

saw things slightly differently;

I thought Mullins was poor, gave the ball away far to many times for me, and didnt distribute well,

Gabiddon was excellent with Anton

NRC superb second half, excellent pass for the first, great distribution, he's really coming on and a superb second goal.

Teddy, nigtmare first 20 mins, couldnt pass water, was mega worried at that point

Yossi, well to begin with I thought he got to tied to the flank and got knocked off the ball far too easily, but once he started coming inside he shone for me, excellent run, wait and pass for mattys goal.

Konch, I thought had a great game, looked good going forward and got well stuck in, loved his shove on Lilly had me in stiches, maybe our best signing of the season.

WHAT A DAY, the Blackburn fans left, getting out sung, out humoured and their team outplayed, and my funniest moment was watching this geezer in the east stand giving the blackburn fans **** every 5 mins, he was top bollox!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE TOP THE LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE TOP THE LEAGUE
Doubting Tomas

Post by Doubting Tomas »

Wahaaay !

Just got in from the pub and haven't read anyone elses thoughts.

Yossi, lightweight in the first half and improved in the second.

Reo Coker goal fcukin good.

Teddy easily our best player.

Harewood-Harebrain, useless. Stick Teddy's brain in his body and we might have a decent player.

We need a striker.

Fcukin great result. :D
RoverDave

Post by RoverDave »

Trevor_Morley wrote:There was a blackburn fan on the other Blackburn match thread that was started, saying how we wouldn't score more than one goal as Blackburns defence is too good and they never let in more than one. I hope he's gonna eat his words now... :D
I am that Blackburn fan and i have to admit i have never been ashamed to be one until today, we were awful, must improve as must the covering on the centenary stand! Got bloody wet today! :lol: Will post a bit about our support then i will paste what i put on the Blackburn site - which i think is a fair reflection.

Firstly Reo - Cokers goal, awesome! Really well played, the Hammers deserved the 3 points... secondly i would appeal to the West Ham fans to be more welcoming... i felt very threatened throughout the day today - which i have never felt at a football match before. Thirdly we only managed 1100 fans which isnt the best show, but we made a fair bit of noise - bantering with the Hammers in the side stand next to us. (cant remember the name)

My comments from Rovers site:

Well I just got home, great day out in London but an appaulling show from Rovers, where do I start...

First 20 minutes Rovers were brilliant and it could have been 2 or 3 nil, but as it happened a scrappy goal by andy todd got us ahead! Savage made a horrible but clever tackle on somebody (they were clear down the wing and there was no way he would catch them so he chopped them down), any later in the game he might have seen red i think!

Then things went wrong, from the whistle our defence looked about as capable of defending as a run over hedgehog is of crossing a road, they were very poor, it seemed there was very little communication between the back 4 - balls being needlessly given away, and West Ham should have equalised. There was then a definate hand ball in the box by one of our defenders, but the referee was badly positioned so it wasn't given! Half time 1-0 Rovers. WOoooooo!

Then the rain came and we started getting wet. *Rolling Eyes* Almost straight away, the ball given away and a nice back heel from Todd (i think it was) gave Sherringham a tap in 1-1. Then came a moment of genious - Bring Gresko on for Kuqi (our only up front height).... Why I dont know.... So it looked like Hughes was settling for a draw... then another silly ball given away, and a gorgeous goal from Reo-Coker - 2-1 West Ham. Then another West Ham goal sealed the win over a poor 10 man Rovers. Then enter Paul Dickov.... he must have been on for about 10-15 minutes i think before making that horrendous tackle.... from where we were sat no contact was made with Konchesky and he certainly over reacted, but that is a good thing because I am certain he would never have played football again! As i corrected someone on the tube "he slid in 2 footed", "no - he flew in 2 footed" and he had to go for it.

Individual players who stood out were:

Emerton - he was very poor, i dont remember him doing anything particularly well!

Neill - Made a few big tackles that helped us remain at just 3-1!

Gresko - poor while he was on...

Mokoena - not a CB, didnt look at all stable there.

I have never before felt threatened at a football match, but today i did, freindly banter is one thing but the West Ham fans were thugs that i came across, that is the only word - they were not very welcoming at all.... That was summed up when me and Devon Rover sat down for dinner at Victoria, and a group of 3 Hammers decided to come and taunt us for the whole time...Is it really needed....

Remember though, we lost to Southampton first away game last season - they went down.
:wink:

But todays performance you deserved the win, well done and good luck for the rest of the season, i just hope Ryan Nelsen is fit for next week.... *shakes head* :?

Edit: Tried to make it as fair as possible, hope that is appreciated.... :wink:
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crest:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

good summary that rover dave

that section of the ground is still to be developed fully as the east side or chicken run to your left is the one part that has yet to be renovated, unlikely to happen fopr the foreseeable but part of the reason, anyway getting soaked is part of going to football

we'll find out how good our result against you was once you have played a few others expected to be in the relegation area away from home, but the way we played after going one down put pressure on you , and thats the one thing we have to do, every game to survive in this league, so today was a start, but only a start

as for the reception you as fans got, the pub we were in had about a dozen blackburn fans in , no problems at all had a chat with a couple of them, every club especially clubs in the CCC have the chav element i'm sure ours are as typical as all of them,
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

Cheers, RoverDave. The stand to your left would have been the East Stand.

This Mokoena fella, is he the one who used to play for Ajax? Who was Andy Todd's defensive partner last season?

I make you right about Dickov. It was a silly tackle, and whereas it wasn't straight through Konchesky, or seemed to have a lot of malice in it, it's those kind of tackles which have the potential to end careers, and I'm pretty sure I read that the referees have been ordered to send players off for such lunges, contact or no contact.

There's still a long way to go. I can't really see you being down there come May, your squad is capable enough to stay up I think. And you can send Fulham back down here empty handed please next week. :D
Eastbourne Hammer

Post by Eastbourne Hammer »

RoverDave wrote: I am that Blackburn fan and i have to admit i have never been ashamed to be one until today, we were awful, must improve as must the covering on the centenary stand! Got bloody wet today! :lol: Will post a bit about our support then i will paste what i put on the Blackburn site - which i think is a fair reflection.

Firstly Reo - Cokers goal, awesome! Really well played, the Hammers deserved the 3 points... secondly i would appeal to the West Ham fans to be more welcoming... i felt very threatened throughout the day today - which i have never felt at a football match before. Thirdly we only managed 1100 fans which isnt the best show, but we made a fair bit of noise - bantering with the Hammers in the side stand next to us. (cant remember the name)
Thanks for being big enough to come back on here to post your report. Fair & balanced, and yes you could've been 2 or 3 up, although we could've pulled one back too! Can understand why you felt intimidated, but that's part of Upton Park. The whole thing about the ground is to make things as intimidating as possible to the opposing team & clearly Blackburn were intimidated come the second half. I think the fact that West Ham were cheered off the pitch at 0-1 at half time could've had something to do with it.

Opposing teams believe that if they come to Upton Park & take the lead, the crowd will turn on the team. You read it in the press over & over again. What outsiders don't understand is that the crowd turn on the team if they're not putting the effort in, or don't seem to care. Take Marlene today for example: scuffed shots and a couple of misplaced passes, but he never stopped roughing up the defenders & being a monumental pain in the arse to the Blackburn defence. He played his part in a team performance & well done to him.

I was genuinely worried after some of last season's performances (by the crowd) but it seems to have started ok this season. If you felt intimidated inside the ground then that's right. You were safe, seated & had massive police protection. Anyway, by all accounts some West Ham fans were too busy fighting each other.............. It's the crowd's job to silence the away fans & they did well today.

If you felt intimidated outside the ground then that's another matter. A bit of banter's ok, but the days of violence linked to football should be done with now, with the new hard line the police will be taking. I think some people will discover that when they come up in court following todays misbehaviour.

Thanks for your posts though RD & hope you enjoy the return match just as much as you enjoyed this one! :D
Last edited by Eastbourne Hammer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoverDave

Post by RoverDave »

I dont remember off hand who Mokoena played for before he came to us but he played for Ajax a while back. He is not a central defender where he was played today - last season we played Ryan Nelsen (New Zealand) and Andy Todd at the back - but Nelsen was out today...a big factor in my opinion. Then Hughes played Mokoena in front of the defensive 2 forming the link between defence and midfield which today we didnt have, that is all i can think Hughes was thinking when he brought Gresko on - play Mokoena in his holding position and try and sort the defence out.

But with Mokoena and Todd and no link we looked a shambles! You must remember - this is the first competitive game in almost a year when Rovers havent started 4-5-1! :lol: when they are played in their best positions they are all quality players - i just dont understand what went wrong today. I cant believe we threw it away so badly.

The Dickov tackle was ridiculous! Why? is my only question - he played 8 minutes! I refused to chant "your just a soft southern b*stard" after that tackle - being from Bristol and all. :lol: Pity our drummers were not there today - they always add to the atmosphere.

As Hughes said, things can only improve and i am sure they will, we just had a bad day I hope! Its a long way home from any match to Bristol as it is, let alone when your team loses.... :cry: The record lives on though - I am still yet to see Blackburn ever win!