West Ham Utd 1 Bolton Wanderers 2 (27/08/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

philipavard159
Location: if you can see my mirrors.......... get out of my bathroom

Post by philipavard159 »

oh well it was due sooner or later, i guess this is what west ham is all about. but i can still go down the pub tonight wearing my colours still having the bragging rights of us fighting non stop with a team of youngsters of which a few are home grown talent. how many other premier teams can brag of no over paid superstars with a lot of home grown talent and still nearly carving out a result when 2-0 down?
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Why did Pardew put both Ward and Dailly on the bench? We would have been better off with a midfielder, say Newton, in place of 1 of those, would have given us more options.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Well, man of the match has to be Jaskalinnen. I was watching it on Livesports and he kept them in it, especially in the first half, then in the second he produced a top drawer save from Konch. Yossi looked like he was our most creative player, but as for marlene....

....I don't even think shocking is a strong enough word. He couldn't finish a jigsaw puzzle if you gave him the last piece ffs. Being a handful for defenders is no good if you can't put the ball in the net. Our need for a striker is fast becoming apparent and if we don't sign one then we are gonna really struggle.

Having said that, the fact that Jaskalinnen made so many important saves shows that we are creating more than enough opportunities, which can only bode well for the season.
retro

Post by retro »

Harewood can get himself into the right positions which is half the battle but his finishing is just not up to scratch.

He should be at the point playing in this league where he put's those chances away instinctively.

You can't miss bread and butter chances like that!
SwanseaHammer

Post by SwanseaHammer »

Aliadere has to start next game. On the commentary he sounded quick and is a better finisher than Marlon.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

jay66uk wrote:Commentary suggests Harewood's early chances were "open goals". That could be expensive later in the season. Still keeping the faith - we are currently 9th according to the live league table and have a very long way to go.
very dissapointing result - these are the games where we simply have to get points from - but our old problem came back to haunt us of not taking out chances we desperatly need a proven top quality striker cos right now I can't see Harewood delivering the goods. :( :( :( m
Ray Stewart's Right Boot

Post by Ray Stewart's Right Boot »

We didn't play badly, from what I saw on a blurry image on my p.c., but converting chances was our problem again - Marlon for one missed several good ones. Maybe this will speed up the Benni signing!

Seemed that when they brought Campo on and switched to 4-4-2 they were much better.

Overall not a bad performance just hope it doesn't dent the players confidence too much.
philipavard159
Location: if you can see my mirrors.......... get out of my bathroom

Post by philipavard159 »

if i rember rightly, last season everybody was slating and saying similar things about zamora, and boy did he come through in the end. in defence of harewood, from what i heard on the commentry he is getting into the places he should be, and he is threatening other teams defences, so imo he is at least showing passion for the club and working bloody hard its just a shame he is failing to put the chances away. as we are only 3 games into the season, i would like to see him get at least another chance to prove himself, because imo if he manages to hit the net, that will be the start of good things to follow.

but i would rather hear the oppinions on harewood from the KUMBers that watched him in the stadium as i feel they will have a far better view of his game then the likes of myself who was listening to it on the net
PATISH

Post by PATISH »

SwanseaHammer wrote:Aliadere has to start next game. On the commentary he sounded quick and is a better finisher than Marlon.
You are right IMO, he should be getting a chance at least,
im f*cking heart broken, cant beleive we lost to this fat b*stard, we did not deserve that.
I dont understand why matty was replaced, a goal down was important to keep him on the pitch, he looked dangerous and up to it, bad decision IMO.
Marlon oh Marlon, what the f*ck was that today?
The CCC must be a s*it league if he scored 20 goals, unbeleivable.

MOTM is Campo without a doubt in my mind, as soon as he came on, the game changed in Boltons favor, this f*cking s-hole, im so f*cking upset :x
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

philipavard159 wrote:if i rember rightly, last season everybody was slating and saying similar things about zamora, and boy did he come through in the end. in defence of harewood, from what i heard on the commentry he is getting into the places he should be, and he is threatening other teams defences, so imo he is at least showing passion for the club and working bloody hard its just a shame he is failing to put the chances away. as we are only 3 games into the season, i would like to see him get at least another chance to prove himself, because imo if he manages to hit the net, that will be the start of good things to follow.

but i would rather hear the oppinions on harewood from the KUMBers that watched him in the stadium as i feel they will have a far better view of his game then the likes of myself who was listening to it on the net
problem is we need to pick up as many points between now and christmas and we just can't afford to have Harewood keep missing chances as loike today we will lose. Even last year in the championship he missed far more chances than he converted.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Just back.
Dissapointed but by no means disheartened. Good performance, only quirk for me were the subs, why Matty off? Why Ward on?
We were very unlucky...just need to take our chances.
Ratings:
Carroll-7 Kicking suspect but made a couple of excellent saves, and could nothing with either goal.
Konchesky-7 Fine
Gabiddon-6 Not in the game really, but reasonably assured. Will have easier games though against sides who don't have every single player who is above 7 foot...
Ferdinand-7 Very good and marked Davies well.
Repka-7 Solid
Etherington- 6.5 Dangerous, dunno why he was subbed...
Mullins-5 Poor, gave the ball away far too much.
Reo-Coker-5 He'll have better days..
Benayoun-9 Superb, bet Allardyce was gritting his teeth watching him.
Harewood-5 Improve or be dropped
Sheringham-7 Nice touches

SUBS
Aliadiere-7 Looked good, should start on the right in place of Mullins next match
Bryant4114
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bryant4114 »

Just got back

basically, Harewood was *****, scuffed numerous chances, didnt get anything on target and it really shows that we need a decent striker. Mullins, looks ok at times but ****ed up for second big time

Yossi was tormenting em first half, Matty looked weak, crossing wasnt too bad but didnt want to take anyone on and his passing wasnt the greatest

Fact is, we need a striker fast
SL

Post by SL »

If we played that game again next week we could come away with the 3 points instead of Bolton. Just one of those games imo.

It was a very good test and imo we verynearly passed.

Both Bolton goals were very ***** and on another day we could have won the game.

There will be a few more games like that this season.

Dont panic West Ham.

Its not quite happening for Harewood at the moment so id like to see someone else given a chance up front with Teddy.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

4 points from the first 3 games - Blackburn, Newcastle and Bolton - ain't bad. I would have been happy with that before the season started tbh.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

we played quite well. if weplay like hat we will win more than we lose.

we all hate bolton but they are a good team.

mullins and harewood were poor today. i still think we need other better options for those 2.
SL

Post by SL »

Marky wrote:we played quite well. if weplay like hat we will win more than we lose.

we all hate bolton but they are a good team.

mullins and harewood were poor today. i still think we need other better options for those 2.
Agreed
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

just saw the pardew interview on the bbc and he was asked about signings andwas fairly non-commital. Hope he does not rely too much on sheringham
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

I think they told Matty to try and stay more central today to try and battle there 5 man midfield but seen as we where doing most of the attacking think he could have been wider, I dunno if it's just me tho but I thought Teddy gave away possession all match…
and in general we just weren't as sharp as we where against Blackburn,

on a positive note tho, we didnt play our best and still deserved something, to me our back 5 looks ace, dunno why Gabiddon came off, I suppose a knock.
Dezire2fly

Post by Dezire2fly »

Just got in from the game :evil:

Marlon had a very bad game and he did miss clear cut chances, I knew when he missed them we may pay the price later and we certainly did. A lot of people were diggin into Marlon for his slack performance and it didnt get any better as his movement on and off the ball was also poor. Yossi and Teddy created numerous chances for him but he failed to capitalise or just fell over.

Zamora and Aliadier had very little time but showed much better movement and when we were pushiing for the equaliser with everyone pushing up front we were bound to get caught with a sucker punch. Was dissapointed at some people leaving straight after that, Teddy's goal gave us hope but it wasnt to be and if I am correct this is the first time Bolton have ever won at the Boleyn.

Bring on Benni McCarthy, we must sign him.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good game, unlucky though, You are right, you do need a striker on the park. Yossi is a great find :wink: and Aliadere could be your answer, he'll learn loads from Teddy.

See you all up the Reebok.