Aston Villa 1 West Ham Utd 2 (14/01/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Darling wrote:Who do we play next?
Fulham at home.... Monday 23rd
Live only on Sky Sports!
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Just like to add my congratulations to Alan Pardew and the team for todays superb result

Spot on guys :raver: :raver: :raver:
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

:doff: to the travelling faithful great support as usual
knutknacker

Post by knutknacker »

knutknacker wrote:using the highly accurate predict-a-nator program, west ham are going to win 2-1. 8-)

using my brain, i would be happy with a draw.
okay, modern occult technology wins again - either that or i am thick.... :?

however.....

i'm with jevs! i'm coming onto this thread a bit late in the day, but well done everyone!
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

kenthammer wrote::doff: to the travelling faithful great support as usual

Could here them loud and clear :niceone: . Where were the villa fans
Israeli_Hammer
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Israeli_Hammer »

Brilliant 2nd half performance by the lads, one of the best we had this season.

We had an encouraging start as a low cross from the right could have been tapped it by Matty, who didn't manage to overcome Melberg's pressure beside him. It was pretty much end to end stuff from then on, but you could feel Villa had that small edge that made them more likely to take the lead, especially as Baros (bet he's well disappointed about his summer decision regarding us) looked really sharp and dangerous when he was on the ball (all credit for Danny Gabbidon for dealing with him so well throughout the match, another great performance which proved how missed he was while injured). Can't blame anyone for their goal really (although I'm sure Carroll will get some undeserved stick, as he was mislead to dive left for the cross before the ball met Hendrie's head), just a fantastic team move, and a goal that had been felt that was coming, after a good spell.

Half time proved to be crucial, don't know what Pards said to them at half time, but it worked, no doubt. We opened the 2nd help with some cracking quick football, I can swear we were on the ball for about 3-4 whole minutes deep in their half creating non-stop pressure on their nervy defense. The goal was bound to come, as we were given a free kick resulted by Lee Hendrie's hand ball 45 yards left of goal, Konch delivered a fantastic ball, Zamora broke through their offside trap and headed right in.

We never thought for a second to pull back, pressure was still well on. Shaun Newton was set by Reo-Coker and almost scored from the acute angle, shooting low towards the far left. Another one of many corners found Mullins all alone in the box, last weeks goalscorer was prevented from a sure goal as Lee Hendrie yet again handled the ball, this time in the box. Marlon took his penalty well to complete the comeback.

we could have made it 3-1 if the linesman wouldn't have ruled an unjustified offside decision against Reo-Coker, on the half way line, as Nige was all alone in front of goal. There were some edgy moment at the end as AP decided to send Dailly in for Matty Etherington to boost our defense, but we held in well and took 3 extremely important goals from Villa Park. Top work by the lads, hats off... :doff: :crest:

Ratings:

Carroll: Some might blame for the goal, but I'm sure any 'keeper would have fallen for that, other than that he had a commanding performance behind our back line and pulled off 2 good saved off Baros and Milner. 7.

Repka: Solid performance that makes you wonder how we will look without him when he returns home. 7.

Ferdinand: Fantastic to watch his comfort and ease at the back, very strong performance. The co-operation with Gabbers looked better than ever. 8.

Gabbidon: As I said earlier, marking Baros was especially challenging today, and he dealt with it perfectly. great to have him back on the side. 9 MOTM.

Konchesky: Set a perfect delivery for Z-man when we equalized, cool defensively and always looked like a threat going forward. 7.

Newton: Brilliant, really impressed by him today. Never stopped working, kept troubling Villa's defense whenever he was on the ball, kept tracking back to help defensively, and could have even scored his first goal for the club. 8.

Mullins: Another encouraging performance, really bossed the middle of the park during the second half. Kept trash-talking with Gavin McCann though. 8.

Reo-Coker: Slowly but surely Nige is shifting back into the same old Nige who was on top form at the beginning of the season. Kept bursting forward panicking Villa's defense, pleased to see him fully back from injury. 8.

Etherington: Worked hard on the left, looked committed. Whenever he cut inside Villa were in trouble. 7.

Zamora: Pleasure to watch. His link-up play and clever chips indicate his work behind the scenes with Teddy, read Konchesky's ball perfectly to head it right in. Lovely performance, I wouldn't have subbed him. 8.

Harewood: Can't believe he was once regarded as 'Lazy', his work-rate is sky-high. Won every single physical battle up front, shot a perfect penalty and looks delighted after it. 8

Away support. 10 out of 10, unbelievable. I solute each and every one of traveled up there. Bubbles, AP's Claret and Blue army, Over land and sea and more out voiced 35,000 Villa fans (who were unsupportive enough towards their team to leave the stadium with about 5-6 minutes to go). :niceone:

IRONS!!!!!!
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Coming onto this thread late, I would just like to say..........

UP THE IRONS!!! :crest:
Darling

Post by Darling »

I'm not so optimistic about the Fulham game. It would be typical West Ham to play really well but to lose in a 3-2 thriller. The real test is the Fulham game which we are expected to win.
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

some good photos here

Link

Like the one with Anton & Repka at the end of the game
nzhammer

Post by nzhammer »

yabush wrote:Rating for WHU players in Skysports

http://home.skysports.com/matchratings. ... =21&cpid=8

Tomas :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Why the big 0 for Katan? surely he contributed some what, :shock:
great win u hammers :lol:
nzhammer

Post by nzhammer »

Darling wrote:I'm not so optimistic about the Fulham game. It would be typical West Ham to play really well but to lose in a 3-2 thriller. The real test is the Fulham game which we are expected to win.
lost me :shock:
Viking_Hammer
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Viking_Hammer »

Darling wrote:I'm not so optimistic about the Fulham game. It would be typical West Ham to play really well but to lose in a 3-2 thriller. The real test is the Fulham game which we are expected to win.
Fair enough that has been the West Ham tradition in the past, but something has changed.

We seem to be doing a lot of things not in our usual fashion this season..... :?

But I´m delighted :D
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Canuck Iron wrote:2-1 win for us I think.

Hopefully Gabbidon can come back into the team and continue his form from before the injury, if so then our defense might be pretty solid again. Isn't Teddy supposed to be fit for this one?
You the Man!!
Agurney83

Post by Agurney83 »

Just got home from the game, ****ing great result, good to see Bobby score another vital goal for us...sure that multi-million pound striker is actually needed?!

Irons Irons Irons
debaser_74
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by debaser_74 »

West Dan wrote:some good photos here

Like the one with Anton & Repka at the end of the game
I prefer the one of Bobby holding a giant invisible spliff....
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

To the Boyz who were up there - Did we do the Joey Cole v Anton chant? According to Pards you all done the boyz proud today - Well done Lads!!

Tried to watch game in pub however Art Channel 2 was showing some dodgy American wrestling. Maybe thats why Al Quada hate the Americans its not their foreign policy but the dodgy homo erotic WWF wrestling in pink pants - not nice. Although there was a fit girl in short skirt in the pub - I'm sure she did a Sharon Stone! Well in my mind anyway!

Watched the Arsenal game first half - Henry first was pure class and the 2nd half between Liverpool v Spurs game and the Sky Sports New Screen behind the bar.

Perfect day an away win and Spurs losing - HA HA

Roll on Fulham - our second six pointer with Yossi fully fit
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

Perfect day - Hammers winning and the Mancs getting lashed.
D.C

Post by D.C »

****ing cracking result!!! Absolutely banging!! Result that kept us in the top half!!

And as usual....

big up to the 4000 travelling Irons! Brilliant performance!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

oh yay

Post by w4hammer »

i farkin love west ham!

just got back home....nice virgin train ride and then a blakc cab 'ome paid for by my masterfull shot at 1 quid bet on villa winning at half time and west ham winning second half

what a fantastic result....always thought we could get a result here....support was brilliant....we all kept the faith..dunno what pards said at half time but we really got stuck into them in the middle thought NRC and newton were first class today.....this team never know when to lie down.....cant wait for west brom for the hat trik of wins over the brummies..

have you ever heard 30,000 people make so little noise lol!??
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

oh yay

Post by w4hammer »

another thing..while i remember-i know we all moan about ref's whoever it was today was ****ing shocking.......he blew up for nothing fouls...then let some real shockers go.....toatlly ****ing useless!