West Ham United 3 Charlton Athletic 1 (19/08/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Your Charlton MOTM?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:25 pm

Roy Carroll
No votes
Tye Mears
No votes
Paul Konchesky
2%
Danny Gabbidon
No votes
Anton Ferdinand
2%
Hayden Mullins
No votes
Nigel Reo-Coker
No votes
Lee Bowyer
76%
Yossi Benayoun
6%
Marlon Harewood
1%
Bobby Zamora
13%
John Paintsil
1%
Teddy Sheringham
No votes
Carlton Cole
No votes

Total votes: 104

daniel

Post by daniel »

FinchleyHammer wrote:Yep - Bowyer gets my vote as well although closely followed by Yossi, the Charlton defenders back-peddling looked petrified when he was running at them, ball at his feet.
Paintsil looked very comfortable , however, did anyone see why he fell on his arse twice ?
The first time was in the box at the BM end and the second was out by the Chicken Run touchline near the half way line. Looked to me like he may have been trying to get a free kick by play-acting :evil: I hope I'm very wrong though.
Well the first time he was blatantly pushed by Darren Bent, who was upset because of Paintsil's tight marking.
Second time, Paintsil's got his shirt pulled by Hreidarsson.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Can anyone who was at the match let us know what th atmosphere was like?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Can anyone who was at the match let us know what th atmosphere was like?
Very good I thought, always positive, even when we went behind...there was a roar of encouragement after they scored similar to that of home to Blackburn last season, perhaps louder.
It didn't match Blackburn home last season for atmosphere, but that was a truly unique occasion. Overall the atmosphere was very good, without being electric.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

dodger wrote: Very good I thought, always positive, even when we went behind...there was a roar of encouragement after they scored similar to that of home to Blackburn last season, perhaps louder.
It didn't match Blackburn home last season for atmosphere, but that was a truly unique occasion. Overall the atmosphere was very good, without being electric.
Cheers Dodger!
BMU.WIC

Post by BMU.WIC »

The Bobby Upper was jumping for once... our lot in the gods were doing our bit, became subdued after that roar of encouragement though only getting back to how we started once we equalised. In short - not bad at all, long may it continue.
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

I think your all being a tad harsh on Mears, he certainly wasnt worse then Danny in the first half. He did look nervous and wanted to defend more then attack but I think that is his natural game for now.

Its a mental thing not a talent thing.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Got back from the game a while ago. Great win for us today and we deserved it. We played some brilliant football at times. Benayoun played very well as did Paintsil. Zamora got into the areas to finish off some great moves and you can't ask much more than a debut goal just seconds after coming on from Cole. Bowyer was our MOTM. He was absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

Cracking day.

:)
East london sid
Horses for courses

Post by East london sid »

Im loving it we started slow but HAMMERD them in the 2nd half
FinchleyHammer

Post by FinchleyHammer »

daniel wrote: Well the first time he was blatantly pushed by Darren Bent, who was upset because of Paintsil's tight marking.
Second time, Paintsil's got his shirt pulled by Hreidarsson.
Cheers Daniel, were they explained on a tv replay for you or was it that clear and obvious ? :oops:
I did think it was a shirt pull on the 2nd as he got back on his feet tugging his own shirt. Still hate to see grown men being thrown to the ground with a shirt pull though.
daniel

Post by daniel »

FinchleyHammer wrote: Cheers Daniel, were they explained on a tv replay for you or was it that clear and obvious ? :oops:
I did think it was a shirt pull on the 2nd as he got back on his feet tugging his own shirt. Still hate to see grown men being thrown to the ground with a shirt pull though.
Obvious :evil:
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Echo what everyone said.

Bowyer was fantastic, a firm reply to the people that didn't really want him back in the summer. But I'm not over excited, it's only charlton :wink:

PANTsil looked very handy when he came on, great distibution, but the way charlton opened uo down that side would've like to see him run at them more, which with a bit more confidence Mears will do eventually. Tyrone also hit a screamer that whistled past the post. Being picky, i thought our movement was a little stagnant at times, and it's a shame we didn't put 5 past them, as they were truly awful and we made hard work of it.

All in all 3 points is 3 points!!