UC1h: West Ham United 0 Palermo 1 (14/09/06) UEFA1

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

we need Mike small

Post by we need Mike small »

upton o'good wrote: Bowyer didnt play on the left. Tevez was the wide player. we were playing 4-5-1
It changed at half time
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

We was unlucky last night.

I thought we was the better team through the whole of the game and just lacked a final ball every now and again. The ref was awful and did us no favours at all! They (Palermo) kicked us all over the place but the ref let many poor and late fouls go without bookings and as soon as Reo-Coker made a good tackle he booked him!

I've yet to see the replay but I thought the ball was well out for their goal (it looked like it to me). I also thought it might of been offside but no one has really mentioned that. I thought Mascherano was our MOTM has he just controlled the midfield and played like the top class player he is. You can't fault the players for effort as all worked hard and we played well.

We are now big underdogs for the 2nd leg to get through. It is going to be tough, it is going to be difficult but we can still get through. I'm one of the lucky 2,000 West Ham fans who have tickets for the away leg (in the away section) and I'm looking forward to it. We need to sing our hearts out like we did last night and hope the lads can pull off what will be a famous victory away in Palermo.

COME ON YOU IRONS!

Carroll 7
Mears 6
Ferdinand 8
Gabs 7
Konch 5
Benayoun 8
Mascherano 9 MOTM
Reo-Coker 7
Bowyer 7 (Etherington 6)
Zamora 6 (Cole 6)
Tevez 7 (Harewood 7)
thal

Post by thal »

Definitely not offside Harv. Just piss poor defending from Anton and not the only time his positioning was off either. Doesn't really help with whether the ball was out or not though.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1083 likes
Total likes: 1396 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:COME ON YOU IRONS!

Carroll 7
Mears 6
Ferdinand 8
Gabs 7
Konch 5
Benayoun 8
Mascherano 9 MOTM
Reo-Coker 7
Bowyer 7 (Etherington 6)
Zamora 6 (Cole 6)
Tevez 7 (Harewood 7)
would agree with that but i think mears deserves more credit for his defensive performance yesterday
(Dazza)

Post by (Dazza) »

Has it been confirmed what channel we're on for the 2nd leg yet?
mutu_20

Post by mutu_20 »

wwipe2001 wrote:did anyone see that little crafty f*cker try to slide tackle/trip up bobby I believe it was about 3 times in a row in the 2nd half? where was the ref that c*nt. shoulda had a word with him at least i've seen bookings given for intent even if there was no contact.
Di Michelle got booked for that.

The referee was a european referee, I don't know why people were complaining about him. He wasn't great I agree but he had NOTHING to do with us losing the match. Our shoddy passing and lack of idea's however, were.
mutu_20

Post by mutu_20 »

upton o'good wrote: I think you are making a mistake there. Yes, they only came 8th, slightly worse thatn the previous year. And last year they also had a UEFA campaing - getting through to the last 16 - and I am guesssing they have a rerlativly small squad... And close season they improved the sqaud a bit.

So I reckon play them early season and you are looking at one of the best 3 or 4 sides in Serie A.

I was amazed by how well they closed down over the full 90 minutes, there were always at least two men, sometimes 3 or 4, around our dnager men. Yet they also consistently kept two up front.
3rd or 4th? lol.

Milan, Inter, Fiorentina, Roma are clearly better teams. Then there's the likes of Parma, Lazio etc who are just as good as them.

Good side, but 3 - 4th best side in Serie A? N way.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote: I also thought it might of been offside but no one has really mentioned that.
not seen the reply yet but i believe konchesky thought that too!
I was in the CL in line with the touchline and i was certain the ball was out! :evil: