West Ham United 0 Newcastle United 2 (17/09/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hambrosia Stu

West Ham United 0 Newcastle United 2 (17/09/06)

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

So, we've had a good look at the 2 new guys. Had an experiment with formation with Bobby on his own up front, and seen Marlon and Matty put in decent performances from the bench.

Who would you like to start against the barcodes?

I'd go with our classic 4-4-2

---------------Carroll

Mears, Anton, Gabbs, Konch

Yossi, NRC, Mascherano, Ethers

---------Bobby Z, Marlon

Subs:- Green, Collins, Bowyer, Tevez, Cole
yabush

Post by yabush »

Most of our strikers do not cooperate with another well :( :(

I miss Deano
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Agree with the 4-4-2, let's quit screwing around with 5 backs or midfielders.

I have the same baclime and MF as you but I would keep playing Tevez. He needs the playing time to develop a partnership with someone. Who the best partner is is a good question. I guess I would start Marlon on Saturday and he is fresher and bring in Bobby And Calton as subs along with Bowyer.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Tevez and Marlon up front, otherwise the same.
Last edited by carnage on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

You should change this into the match thread mate...

But on topic, I'd play the Two argies for sure and drop Reo Coker as i've lost my patience with him, I stated in the Palermo match thread before the game that we shouldn't change system as i remembered Watford away so Pardew HAS to play 442 as what he played last night didn't suit the team at all in my opinion, I'd go...

-------------------------Carroll--------------------------
--------Mears-----Anton-----Gabbs-----Konch--------
----Yossi------Bowyer------Mascherano----Matty-----
-----------------Tevez----------Zamora--------------------

Bowyer or Yossi as captain.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5680 likes
Total likes: 3098 likes

Post by MB »

carnage wrote:Tevez and Marlon up front, otherwise the same.
That is what i'd go with as well.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

i would make a few changes, give a few of the new guys a go and others a rest

---------------green----------------
mears---anton-gabby---spector
-----------mascherano------------
--------------bowyer--------------
tevez------------------------ethers
---------zamora-------cole---------

very attacking formation with hopefully some decent crosses from tevez and ethers and cole in there to get on the end of them!

Justification of playing green is that carroll has had some recent injuries and so i would imagine the break would be good for him and will show him that we have a player waiting in the wing who pards can bring in if needed so he isnt undropable
would give konchesky the night off also to show him he is not undroppable and some time to rest because he is just not at his best!
NRC has come in for a lot of stick lately and hasnt looked right since his injury, would not drop him permanently but just for a game
tevez on the right purely because a)he can produce a great ball, which we really missed yesterday and b) for match fitness, he is more likely to see the ball and would give their left back a hard game
and i think cole has been lively in what we have seen and deserves a start, i think he could be good against a crap newcastle defence
yabush

Post by yabush »

carnage wrote:Tevez and Marlon up front, otherwise the same.
Both of them are really greedy strikers :? :?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Tel The Hammer wrote:You should change this into the match thread mate...

But on topic, I'd play the Two argies for sure and drop Reo Coker as i've lost my patience with him, I stated in the Palermo match thread before the game that we shouldn't change system as i remembered Watford away so Pardew HAS to play 442 as what he played last night didn't suit the team at all in my opinion, I'd go...

-------------------------Carroll--------------------------
--------Mears-----Anton-----Gabbs-----Konch--------
----Yossi------Bowyer------Mascherano----Matty-----
-----------------Tevez----------Zamora--------------------

Bowyer or Yossi as captain.
Not sure I know how to change this into match thread. I always assumed those threads were started by the guys who run the forum.

But I like your thinking. That was my biggest decision-to leave out Bowyer. Everytime I've seen him this season he's looked one of our better players. Leaving out NRC would be a big move, especially as it seems to me he is slowly getting his form back. But I thought Bowyer was unlucky to be taken off last night, as I guess it was a choice between him and NRC, and Bowyer seemed to be having the better game(although NRC was doing well at the end)

The strikers are a tough one. Zamora deserves his place on his early form. Harewood showed desire last night(and no little ability!). Tevez needs games to feel his way in. Cole must feel a bit hard done by, as he's looked good whenever I've seen him, but is way down the order. And then there's Teddy!

With Tevez, I'd go along the lines of play one, watch and learn for one, play the next one etc, as I reckon he'll pick up our style, and the style of our other front players if he has a bit of time to let it all sink in
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

-----------------Carroll---------------

Mears----Anton---Gabbs---Konch

Yossi--Bowyer--Mascherano--Matty

----------Marlon-----Bobby--------

Drop NRC. Sorry but he hasn't been playing well, and Bowyer has (well better than NRC). I don't see why NRC is undroppable. Matty on the left, width & understanding with Konch. Maybe change it in the second half if he isn't fit enough for the 90. Tevez benched as he isn't fit either. Would like to give Cole a game but there you go, not enough places.
carnage

Post by carnage »

yabush wrote: Both of them are really greedy strikers :? :?
Harewood has setup lots of goals for us and causes problems.
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

yabush wrote: Both of them are really greedy strikers :? :?
How can you say that? Tevez creates numerous chances for other forwards cutting in from the wing and laying the ball across the 6-yard box in the corridor of uncertainty.
Marlon and Tevez upfront for me as well.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5680 likes
Total likes: 3098 likes

Post by MB »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:But I thought Bowyer was unlucky to be taken off last night
I thought that was forced due to his shoulder still giving him problems.
yabush

Post by yabush »

coxy wrote: How can you say that? Tevez creates numerous chances for other forwards cutting in from the wing and laying the ball across the 6-yard box in the corridor of uncertainty.
Marlon and Tevez upfront for me as well.
You should watch him playing for Argentina and Corinthians
carnage wrote: Harewood has setup lots of goals for us and causes problems.
sometimes I have to say,
he holds the ball a bit too long sometimes,
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

MB wrote: I thought that was forced due to his shoulder still giving him problems.
Ah, well if that's the case, fair enough. First I've heard he was carrying a knock
carnage

Post by carnage »

yabush wrote: You should watch him playing for Argentina and Corinthians
Well i have seen Tevez play for us for what? 90 minutes roughly and he has created 4 decent chances in that time at least.
RM9

Post by RM9 »

Code: Select all

Green

Mears        Gabs         Anton        Konch

Yossi        Bowyer     Mascherano    Matty

Zamora          Tevez
Keep it simple with Pardews prefered 442

Although If I was manager i'd line up with

Code: Select all

Green 

Mears       Gabs       Anton        Konch

Mascherano

Bowyer        NRC

Yossi                            Tevez
                       Zamora

Either way, I don't see the need for great tactical awareness to be able to beat the rat face :D
comeonyouirons
Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Post by comeonyouirons »

Green

Mears Ferdinand Gabbidon Konchesky

Benayoun Bowyer Mascherano Matty

Zamora Tevez

Subs:
Carroll
Colins
Reo Coker
Harewood
Cole
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

FloridaHammer wrote:Agree with the 4-4-2, let's quit screwing around with 5 backs or midfielders.

I have the same baclime and MF as you but I would keep playing Tevez. He needs the playing time to develop a partnership with someone. Who the best partner is is a good question. I guess I would start Marlon on Saturday and he is fresher and bring in Bobby And Calton as subs along with Bowyer.
I am beginning nto find these posts that imply Pards is departing from 4-4-2 for no reason rather tedious.

Blatently we have had a big problem playing 4-4-2. The total lack of a left winger. We looked frankly pretty poor against Villa with Yossi pretending to play there (and boweyer out right). So Pards has tried to give us width by freeing up the full backs to get forward - by adding an extra defender (Watford) - and he has tried using Tevez from wide left ina 4-5-1/4-3-3 as he clearly doenst think Matty has 90 minutes in him yet.

Neither worked terribly well, but the neither did 4-4-2 without a winger...

That's why Pards tried so hard to buy another quality wide man (and sadly failed).
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

upton o'good wrote: I am beginning nto find these posts that imply Pards is departing from 4-4-2 for no reason rather tedious.

Blatently we have had a big problem playing 4-4-2. The total lack of a left winger. We looked frankly pretty poor against Villa with Yossi pretending to play there (and boweyer out right). So Pards has tried to give us width by freeing up the full backs to get forward - by adding an extra defender (Watford) - and he has tried using Tevez from wide left ina 4-5-1/4-3-3 as he clearly doenst think Matty has 90 minutes in him yet.

Neither worked terribly well, but the neither did 4-4-2 without a winger...

That's why Pards tried so hard to buy another quality wide man (and sadly failed).
Good points but going forward Ethers is fit now so let's not let that be an excuse anymore. If he can't play then someone else has to give us width regardless of their inclination to play inside.