UC1a: Palermo 3 West Ham United 0 (28/09/06) UEFA1

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

martwhu

UC1a: Palermo 3 West Ham United 0 (28/09/06) UEFA1

Post by martwhu »

after the crap recent performances changes need to be made!

unfortunately defensively we cant change due to the fact of the injuries here's what i believe pardew should start with:

------------------------------------Green

----------------------Mullins-------Dailly(c)-------Gabbidon

---------------------------------Mascherano

----------------------Bowyer---Benayoun-----Etherington

---------------------------------Tevez
------------------------------Cole----Zamora

Subs
Konchesky
Reo-Coker
Spector
Harewood
Reid
Sheringham
Carroll

Reasons:
Konchesky isn't looking up to scratch so far and want to see McCartney
NRC has been apalling and his mind is obviously at Arse or Manc

We need to attack so sit 3 in defence allow Tevez to come deep to get the ball like he does, allow Yossi and Matty to attack at every opportunity and let Bowyer do the midfield everywhere role, whilst letting Mascherano hold it!
Defence isnt ideal but with the injuries we're very limited but saying that Dailly had a very good game yesterday

so after all that i still know that Pardew wont drop NRC which means Yossi or Bowyer will be left out. a certain Yossi who can win this game for us and a certain Bowyer who just 3 games ago Pardew said is in the best form of his career against an inexperience out of form player who doesn't want to be at UP in NRC
The Badger

Re: starting X1 v palermo

Post by The Badger »

martwhu wrote:after the crap recent performances changes need to be made!

unfortunately defensively we cant change due to the fact of the injuries here's what i believe pardew should start with:

------------------------------------Green

----------------------Mullins-------Dailly(c)-------Gabbidon

---------------------------------Mascherano

----------------------Bowyer---Benayoun-----Etherington

---------------------------------Tevez
------------------------------Cole----Zamora

Subs
Konchesky
Reo-Coker
Spector
Harewood
Reid
Sheringham
Carroll

Reasons:
Konchesky isn't looking up to scratch so far and want to see McCartney
NRC has been apalling and his mind is obviously at Arse or Manc

We need to attack so sit 3 in defence allow Tevez to come deep to get the ball like he does, allow Yossi and Matty to attack at every opportunity and let Bowyer do the midfield everywhere role, whilst letting Mascherano hold it!
Defence isnt ideal but with the injuries we're very limited but saying that Dailly had a very good game yesterday

so after all that i still know that Pardew wont drop NRC which means Yossi or Bowyer will be left out. a certain Yossi who can win this game for us and a certain Bowyer who just 3 games ago Pardew said is in the best form of his career against an inexperience out of form player who doesn't want to be at UP in NRC
At last, there actually IS somebody out there who has acknowledged that Tevez is a behind the front two strikers. That's where he played for Corinthians and where he plays for Argentina. All we have to do now is tell Alan Pardew.
comeonyouirons
Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Post by comeonyouirons »

Green

Gabbidon Collins (it fit) Daily

Mascherano

Bowyer Benayoun Etherington

Trevez

Cole Sheringham (Captain)

Subs:
Carroll
Spector
Tomkins (if in team Konch)
Mullins
Noble
Zamora
Harewood

Left out Ferdinand because he needs a rest. He nearly pulls up injured in every game. If he don't rest he is going to be out for a long time soon.

Reo - Coker on the bench and would not be my captain anymore. If he wants to go to Arsenal - Sell him in January.

Carroll - Kicking distributution is poor - Green in.

Cole in - If we are going to give the continual boot up the park we may as well have someone who can win the ball and create knockdowns to Trevez and Sheringham.

Sheringham in - We need is brain on the pitch now and he will want to deliver. Mark my words - He will deliver. Captain will lead by example.

If Collins is not fit - Tomkins in from the start - Deserves a chance.

Noble - Call in back from is loan today. He's going to do a better job that what the guys we have here are currently doing.

Konch - Either on the bench or dropped from squad.

Formation - I am assuming they will sit back now they have the away goal - This line up is attack, attack, attack. If we do conceed another it does not really change things. We still need two to advoid the lottery of penalties.

Training this week - After each training session - Everyone takes penalties for one hour. Three goals set up, Green, Carrol, Walker in the nets with the team squad split in three groups. Even amount of defenders, midfielders and forwards in each group.
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

i would go for the folowing team selection against Palermo

Carroll
Mullins Gabbidon Collins (if fit) Spector

Yossi Bowyer Mascherano Etherington

Tevez

Harewood/ Cole

My reasons for this are simple Mullins at right back because Dailly should NOT be in our team anymore im soeey but we dont need him anymore, and i dont think Paintsil or Mears will be fit.
Spector at left back because he IS better than Konch defensivly, Tevez behind the main striker so he has unlimited access over the pitch just like Rooney. I would also give the captaincy to Gabbidon i just feel he has a calming influence on the team when he plays
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Westcliff Hammer wrote: because Dailly should NOT be in our team anymore im soeey but we dont need him anymore,
Were you at the game yesterday WH? Dailly was our best player imo..
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

I'd play the following....

--------------------------Green--------------------------
------Spector---------Dailly-------Gabbidon----------
------------------------------Mullins---------------------
--------------Bowyer-----------------------------------
Benayoun-------------------------------Etherington--
-----------------------Tevez----------------------------
--------------Cole------------Harewood--------------

SUBS
Walker
Collins (hopefully if fit...play him vs Reading perhaps bring him on in this match)
Konchesky
Mascherano
Reo-Coker
Sheringham
Zamora

Make players pay who've not performed (Carroll, Reo-Coker, Konchesky, yes Mascherano and Bobby).
Last edited by dodger on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Westcliff Hammer

Paolo Futre wrote: Were you at the game yesterday WH? Dailly was our best player imo..
Nope i wasnt at the game yesterday fair enough ill take your word for that but it doesnt change my opinion of dailly im afraid
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

well i'd go for

------------------------------------Green-------------------------------------

------Collins--------------Dailly------Gabbidon----------------------Koncheskyr----------

-----------Benayoun-----------Bowyer--Masherano---------------Reid-----------------

-------------------------------Cole----------Tevez---------------------------------

I know Reid is still young and inexperienced but what the hell the rest have all been crap and he can't do no worse then Etherington.. -
daniel

Post by daniel »

Larry wrote:well i'd go for

------Collins--------------Dailly------Gabbidon----------------------Koncheskyr----------

-----------Benayoun-----------Bowyer--Masherano---------------Reid-----------------

-------------------------------Cole----------Tevez---------------------------------

I know Reid is still young and inexperienced but what the hell the rest have all been crap and he can't do no worse then Etherington.. -
Spot on. The thought of Matty still playing after his several mares is frightening.
resus

Post by resus »

Larry wrote:well i'd go for

swap Collins with Dailly and I agree.
I am law

Post by I am law »

The Badger wrote:[At last, there actually IS somebody out there who has acknowledged that Tevez is a behind the front two strikers. That's where he played for Corinthians and where he plays for Argentina. All we have to do now is tell Alan Pardew.
Badger

Take this point and help answer a question.

If Tev is best played at the top of a m-field diamond (ie with 2 strikers ahead of him) was his acquisition after the start of the season a little reckless?

His style of play is either limited to that formation or a lengthy process of team-building around this is necessary. In fairness to all, he doesn't seem massively adaptable. Yr theory suggests that his acquisition can only work if the formation of the team is changed. This question runs deeper if the truth is that he is here for only the short-term. Would it be worth it for a single season?

Even if that is correct, another question arises. Was it sensible to obtain him (with Masch) if the reality was that the captain would have to lose his place to best accomodate him? NRC after all is not a wide player.

We seem now to have an abundance of attacking midfielders (NRC, Yossi, Bowyer and now Tevez) and no true width :?
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

I am law wrote: Badger

Take this point and help answer a question.

If Tev is best played at the top of a m-field diamond (ie with 2 strikers ahead of him) was his acquisition after the start of the season a little reckless?

His style of play is either limited to that formation or a lengthy process of team-building around this is necessary. In fairness to all, he doesn't seem massively adaptable. Yr theory suggests that his acquisition can only work if the formation of the team is changed. This question runs deeper if the truth is that he is here for only the short-term. Would it be worth it for a single season?

Even if that is correct, another question arises. Was it sensible to obtain him (with Masch) if the reality was that the captain would have to lose his place to best accomodate him? NRC after all is not a wide player.

We seem now to have an abundance of attacking midfielders (NRC, Yossi, Bowyer and now Tevez) and no true width :?
Well, I've been saying for a little while now that we should play the diamond formation. Makes sense with a diamond geezer in our team !
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Can we play Tomkins???

Any way i'd go with

Green

Dailly.............Collins (if Fit)...............Gabs.............. Konch

Bowyer...................... Mascherano

......................................................................... Reid
Yossi....................................................................

................................... Tevez..........................................................
......................................................Cole.....................................

If Tomkins can play i'd probably give him a whirl if Collins isn't fit. Mullins at right back doesn't work (mind you nor does dailly)

The way I see it is we have very little to lose. Everyone expects us to lose and Tomkins
can't do worse than dailly at centre back.

Youth certainly worked for city yesterday
Last edited by antony on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am law

Post by I am law »

It [badger's diamond] requires tho 2 tireless midfielders to operate each flank, if it involves Masch as well (given that he is not really inching forward in the games I've seen him play).

We haven't apparently got those two players.

Its a diamond with only 2 points sorted. It can't play to the strengths of our squad.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

I dont care who plays.

As long as its 11 players who WANT TO WIN and want to play for this club.

No below par performances, no players picked on their names or what they have done in the past.

Give Cole a start and any other player who wants to play for the team. A performance like yesterday will not be be tolerated by the away fans.
Westcliff Hammer

antony wrote:Can we play Tomkins???

Any way i'd go with

Green

Dailly.............Collins (if Fit)...............Gabs.............. Konch

Bowyer...................... Mascherano

......................................................................... Reid
Yossi....................................................................

................................... Tevez..........................................................
......................................................Cole.....................................

If Tomkins can play i'd probably give him a whirl if Collins isn't fit. Mullins at right back doesn't work (mind you nor does dailly)

The way I see it is we have very little to lose. Everyone expects us to lose and Tomkins
can't do worse than dailly at centre back.

Youth certainly worked for city yesterday
Yeah thats going to work playing a kid with f*** all league experience granted he may be highly regarded but Palermo are a good serie a side if he has a stinker then thats gonna ruin his confidence id rather play that mug Dailly and thats saying something
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Westcliff Hammer wrote: Yeah thats going to work playing a kid with f*ck all league experience granted he may be highly regarded but Palermo are a good serie a side if he has a stinker then thats gonna ruin his confidence id rather play that mug Dailly and thats saying something
I was simply saying that with the injuries we have we might not have any choice but to have him on the bench. Its not ideal but then neither is playing dailly. We probably aren't gonna win as Palermo are a top side and we have a very bad injuries list. Plus sometimes these matches are good for kids. I remember seeing Aaron Lennon making his debut for Leeds in a European match. It is arguably easier for them to play away in europe as it is less physical and possibly there is less pressure than in the prem as doesn't have the same sort of rivalries ets.
scottious

Post by scottious »

----------------------------------Carroll---------------------------------------

Daily--------------Collins-----------------Gabidon--------------Konchesky

------------------------------Mascherano-------------------------------------

------Bowyer-------------------NRC-----------------------Benayoun-------

--------------------------Tevez-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Zamora------------------------------------

The key in europe will be build up play as the Italians will jus sit 8 players behind the ball, we cant attack it like a premiership game constantly running at them.

If collins is fit he should start at CB wiv Danny as they have a good partnership and collins looked good last term.

Daily has a lot of experience and did well for scotland recently... and we have no 1 else lol.

Konch is having a mare but i think this is where he can turn it around, solid performance and we will have the paul we saw last season... we gotta show sum faith in him.

NRC we all know how good this bloke is so dont count him out another one to up his game n take it to the italians... also our captain dont forget so droppin him i dont see as genius!

Tevez behind Zamora will hopefully work out well as he can take it to them and with our super poacher bobby up there we can surely steal a couple.

Matty & Marlon as subs to come on and run at them and cause them different sorts of problems pure pace and power! for Bowyer and Bobby respectivley..

Our season turns around Thursday !!!!
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

If you check my post history I stated a month ago Reo Coker should be dropped, When I was at Eastlands yesterday and found out Bowyer had been dropped to allow Reo Coker to retain his place in the team I was really pissed off with Pardew, probably the most I've been pissed off since the fizzy pop days, Etherington was also ***** yesterday as he did f*** all apart from losing the ball and acting like an old poof...

Team I'd go with;

----------------------------Green-----------------------------

----Dailly-----Collins(if fit)-----Gabbidon----Konch-------

-------Bowyer(C)----Mascherano----Benayoun---------

----------------Sheringham-----Tevez----------------------

---------------------------Zamora----------------------------

I'm not a fan of abnormal formations like a lot on here who play football manager games, but I believe this could work well as long as Teddy plays, It will improve our creative play no end.
A New Hope

Post by A New Hope »

Green

Spector Collins Gabbidon Konchesky

Benayoun Mascherano Bowyer(c)

Harewood Cole Tevez

SUBS: Carroll Dailly Mullins Reo-Coker Etherington Sheringham Zamora