West Ham Utd 0 Manchester City 2 (11/08/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

It really was a performance that was THAT BAD. Its nice to see Curbs realising this. Seeing his comments post game restored a bit of faith with me. We need some more buys in for sure. If it doesnt happen then ill happily take 15th with the current team
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Harewood-3.16 wrote:It really was a performance that was THAT BAD. Its nice to see Curbs realising this. Seeing his comments post game restored a bit of faith with me. We need some more buys in for sure. If it doesnt happen then ill happily take 15th with the current team
id take 17th on that performance today
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

AJ wrote: id take 17th on that performance today
Someone above was accepting that top 6 was not on and that he would settle for top 10.

Avoiding relegation looks a priority at the moment. It has been said that we have the easiet start of any team. Lose at Brum and that "easy" start could leave us free at the bottom. I don't fancy having to rely on 6 points off the Arse to save us. We need to win some six-pointers. But then I say that every year. Oh for fortress UP where we regularly flatten the weaker teams - MCFC for example....
:?
Andy

Post by Andy »

for me yesterday's game highlighted more than anything that we really have only bought to replace players who have gone. I know thats obvious in the bank balance, but on the pitch we were stretched in every department by a team that simply had height on their side and not much else. As someone next to me commented 'it's a good job they are **** as well or we would be in trouble'.

Upson looks like he is so unfit its not true, Anton got himself into more trouble with sloppy passing which he then had to run his arse off to correct, Spector cant do anything except head the ball, McCartney cant go forward, Boa Morte couldnt seem to do anything right at all, Bowyer was *****, Noble was far too small to play against Svens Seven foot army and his passing was crap all game, Ljunberg didnt get into his stride and to be fair had no one to pass to when he did, as did Bellamy, Zamora was back to his first touch from hell status and didnt have a decent effort all game. Only when Etherington came on did we offer anything different and when Deano finally emerged did we look like scoring. Why the f*** given all the lacking of the squad in terms of fitness did he not just start with the line up that finished the Roma game I will never know. I know we still have a lot of players missing, but when is Paintsil going to get a chance FFS? He wasnt even on the bench again yesterday and it was obvious to anyone that we needed to try to PLAY past Man City not lump the ball endlessly up the pitch to their huge centre backs to swallow up.

To be fair at one nil Deano had a great chance and then Freddie should have converted for 2 one to us. At that point we could have made a come back bar some bad luck in front of goal, but we wouldnt have deserved it if we had and we got found out, simple as that.

What we need to do now is to replace the rest of the liabilities in the team and get in some decent first team players and leave Bowyer, Anton and even Noble as subs, cos they aint good enough at this level. We also need another striker who can control the ball so that we can leave Bobby to supersub status for a while. I wouldnt get rid of him, because he is full of running, its just a shame that most of it is done whilst looking like a headless chicken.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

A striker that actually plays as a striker would be nice. I saw both zamora and bellamy pick the ball up in our half from the defence.
Irons_Irons

Post by Irons_Irons »

Are the lowlights from yesterday's game online?

I had the choice of Upton Park or Twickenham. I think I made the right call!!!!! Only because I could drink in my seat :beer:
SL

Post by SL »

Dannyboylister wrote:A striker that actually plays as a striker would be nice. I saw both zamora and bellamy pick the ball up in our half from the defence.
Bellamy frustrated me by keep coming wide.

Reminded me of Curbs comments last season when he said that he told Tevez to get in the box more. Hopefully he will tell Bellamy to get in the box more.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Harewood-3.16 wrote:It really was a performance that was THAT BAD. Its nice to see Curbs realising this. Seeing his comments post game restored a bit of faith with me. We need some more buys in for sure. If it doesnt happen then ill happily take 15th with the current team
Agreed. At least Curbs is livid and not just 'looking at the positives'. Reading his comments did cheer me up at bit too! 8-)
SL wrote: Bellamy frustrated me by keep coming wide.

Reminded me of Curbs comments last season when he said that he told Tevez to get in the box more. Hopefully he will tell Bellamy to get in the box more.
To be fair, Zamora and Bellamy had no choice, they were getting absolutely nothing from the midfield. They had to keep dropping back just to get the ball...Noble and Bowyer ( :x ) were non-existant and getting completely overrun by Man City's 5-man midfield.

...the name Bowyer makes my blood boil...I hope I never see him in a West Ham shirt again.
SL

Post by SL »

Agreed about the service. The midfield was awful yesterday. Simply lacked quality imo.

I just hope that Bellamy dosnt make a habit of staying out of the box.
GrowPike

Post by GrowPike »

SL wrote: Bellamy frustrated me by keep coming wide.

Think Bellamy will continue to do that - thats where he's dangerous. Trouble is Bobby likes to drop off too. Should look better when Deano can be the one getting in the box leaving his partner to drop off.

Bellamy needs to run at players.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

SL wrote:Agreed about the service. The midfield was awful yesterday. Simply lacked quality imo.

I just hope that Bellamy dosnt make a habit of staying out of the box.
I've never really followed him through his career, but it looked to me as if that's how he plays.

That said, if our midfield has turned up yesterday he might have had something to chase and push forward with.

Ah well. :lol:
SL

Post by SL »

GrowPike wrote: Think Bellamy will continue to do that - thats where he's dangerous. Trouble is Bobby likes to drop off too. Should look better when Deano can be the one getting in the box leaving his partner to drop off.

Bellamy needs to run at players.
I would prefer to see Bellamy running onto through balls from midfield.

That didnt happen once yesterday.
GrowPike

Post by GrowPike »

SL wrote: I would prefer to see Bellamy running onto through balls from midfield.

That didnt happen once yesterday.
Agreed. His pace is suited to that - whether running into the channels or through the middle but as you say it didnt happen.

The midfield was woeful.
bghammer

Post by bghammer »

Glad to see curbs pointing out the faults in yesterdays game, hopefully he will make the necessary changes before the next game, although dont hold out much hope of a result at anfield. Look on the brightside though, wigan got beat, and the blunts got held at home by colchester :D :D
GrowPike

Post by GrowPike »

bghammer wrote:Glad to see curbs pointing out the faults in yesterdays game, hopefully he will make the necessary changes before the next game, although dont hold out much hope of a result at anfield. Look on the brightside though, wigan got beat, and the blunts got held at home by colchester :D :D
I hope one of those changes is bringing Etherington back in - at least we saw flashes of chances being created by him - and he stays wide and crosses although we need Deano in the middle for those crosses. Picking out Bellamy on a high cross will never work but Deano should thrive on any aerial service.
The Bob

Post by The Bob »

POSITIVES FROM TODAY:

- Etherington looked ok.
- Rob Green showed that he is still a great shot stopper
- Parker and Neill should be back next week
- We found out that we need a new CM 2 weeks before the transfer window shuts
- Ashton getting closer to match fitness
- Wake up call for everyone at the club, we can't play that bad again.
- I discovered that the £3.40 beer was a pint of rats piss and I won't be investing again this season.
- The XL sign on the east stand looked ok.
- Really struggling to think of many more positives here.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The Bob wrote:POSITIVES FROM TODAY:

- Etherington looked ok.
- Rob Green showed that he is still a great shot stopper
- Parker and Neill should be back next week
- We found out that we need a new CM 2 weeks before the transfer window shuts
- Ashton getting closer to match fitness
- Wake up call for everyone at the club, we can't play that bad again.

- I discovered that the £3.40 beer was a pint of rats piss and I won't be investing again this season.
- The XL sign on the east stand looked ok.
- Really struggling to think of many more positives here.
...and that is all that matters.
The Bob

Post by The Bob »

HammerMan2004 wrote: ...and that is all that matters.
I think the fact I found out that the £3.40 beer (2nd most expensive in the Premier League) is just as **** as last years £3 beer is also an important issue.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

where was ginge?

anyone know?
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Agree with all those that say we have only bought to replace players gone and in some cases they are no better than the ones we got rid of.

Lungberg obviously not an out and out RM and has less craft than Benayoun, Bellamy chased everything down but no service, Upson - would have preferred Collins myself.

We need a creative player badly - we didn't look like creating anything yesterday and as soon as Ashton came on we resorted to the punt.

LBM is utter cack and Zamora needed shooting after yesterdays performance.

Presently we look no better than we did for the first part of last season - no movement, no urgency, the build up play is far too slow and contrived and our defence looks shakey. Not sure Neill and Parker alone can swing that around personally.