Birmingham City 0 West Ham Utd 1 (18/08/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DjBelz

Post by DjBelz »

cockney hammer wrote: reo-cock up got 9 in one paper.
that is absurd. watched the game and kept a close eye on him. He gave the ball away at least 6-7 times and was generally poor except for one great chance.

Upson had a poor first 20-25mins but improved very strongly after that particularly in the second half when he completely shackled their front men by winning nearly every header. showed a lot of character and confidence to improve like that and I think he is going to get better and better.

Harsh on Dyer here considering he would of barely trained with us. Thought he did well to lead the pass to bellamy for the pen, win a pen himself and tracked back well to come up with some inspirational defensive plays. Sure they were sometimes from errors but he added grit as well as a bit of flair. Good debut IMO.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

I think upson is going to be very important for us. Remember he hasn't really played for months.

Last year we were very vulnerable from set pieces, I'm hoping he's going to make a big difference. I got the impression we defended the corners and free kicks well yesterday.
EMI
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by EMI »

stevenmj wrote:
That I like very much :lol:
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1141 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

EMI wrote:
QUALITY! :lol: :lol:
D.C

Post by D.C »

antony wrote: I thought that. He was unlucky to get an early booking but it didn't really effect his game. I've always liked Mullins. He puts himself about and certainly allows the more creative and attacking players the freedom to do what they do.
The most worrying thing for me was our defence. I was not impressed with Upson at all and im not sure that there is a partnership between him and Ferdinand. Obviously its difficult to judge on yesterday as he was getting a lot of abuse, but he seemed slow, flat footed, and liable to getting sucked out of position. Great in the air though
100% agree about Upson... don't see no problem in bringing back the central defence partnerships of Collins and Anton that kept our dreams alive for the last 10 matches last season.
chalky

Post by chalky »

jacko wrote:I think upson is going to be very important for us. Remember he hasn't really played for months.

Last year we were very vulnerable from set pieces, I'm hoping he's going to make a big difference. I got the impression we defended the corners and free kicks well yesterday.
Aint that the truth. We were just sooooo bad at defending corners for the last two seasons it was frightening. I never understood that, it's just so basic?

All in all, a messy at times, good day at the orifice.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Thought we dominated & were much the better team..

Could & should have sealed it at the end..

Noble MOTM, Upson i don't rate, Bellamy was good & all in all a good 3 points..
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

From what I heard on Talksport and watched on Football First I thought Upson had a very good game. Won a lot of headers and was very solid.
horsey

Post by horsey »

Heres a little vid clip i took of MArk Noble taking his penalty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dN-ssGrbcM
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:From what I heard on Talksport and watched on Football First I thought Upson had a very good game. Won a lot of headers and was very solid.
Everyon'es different..
RUNWELL RAY

Post by RUNWELL RAY »

I thought Ferdinand was excellent. I was a little bit worried of the Upson / Ferdinand combination before yesterday. I thought that against Roma & City they were poor as a partnership but yesterday I thought between them they had the centre sewn up and won everything down the middle. Normally I am nervous when we defend corners & free kicks but yesterday I was very comfortable and did not think that we looked under any danger.
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:From what I heard on Talksport and watched on Football First I thought Upson had a very good game. Won a lot of headers and was very solid.
No. Upson was ok. First half he was awful was caught out of position on many occasions. Second half superb.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

claret-hammer

Post by claret-hammer »

great result needed that any news on injured players returning for next week.
by the way correct me if im wrong it was march 17th we got our 1st away win last season 2-1 at blackburn.
E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

claret-hammer wrote:great result needed that any news on injured players returning for next week.
by the way correct me if im wrong it was march 17th we got our 1st away win last season 2-1 at blackburn.
yes you are correct it was a fake win though :wink:
claret-hammer

Post by claret-hammer »

E13_Hammer wrote:
yes you are correct it was a fake win though :wink:[/quote

youre not implying we cheat are you. :lol: :lol:
E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

claret-hammer wrote:
nope :)