West Ham Utd 1 Wigan 1 (25/08/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

what a day for what a game great weather just came back wigan lads were great signing autographs
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Some snippets from the BBC that seem to match what many are saying here, sort of:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 952884.stm
But it was the hosts that made nearly all the running in the first half. With Kieron Dyer enjoying the freedom of Upton Park and Noble picking passes, the Hammers barely allowed Wigan a touch in the early stages.
Aghahowa, fairly anonymous in the first half, was the main aggressor for Wigan. And he should have done better when he broke free of the defence only to take a poor touch and allow Robert Green to smother his shot. The Nigerian was again denied by Green on the hour......
It looked like West Ham's toothless attack would once again cost them the points, but Bowyer had other ideas
West Ham boss Alan Curbishley:
"We're a little frustrated by a draw but I guess I have to be delighted we've got something from the game after falling behind so late.

"In the first half they put lots of men behind the ball and we struggled to break them down, whereas in the second it changed and they began to get a few chances on the break.

"A point was probably a fair result and I'm delighted that Lee's got a goal - it's all that's been missing from his play for me."
:shock:
BH

Post by BH »

What concerned me today,wasn`t the lack of fire power as i`m sure it will come in time. It was our central pairing of Ferdinand and Upson.
I will watch football first tonight with great interest, as i`m sure they must of lost 75% of all the aerial balls. I thought they were piss poor. To me, once fit we should run with the welsh boys. Collins will win most headers, which our current two don`t. As well as giving us a threat from set pieces. Gabbidon, will give us the pace that Upson clearly lacks.
End of rant!!!
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

BH wrote:What concerned me today,wasn`t the lack of fire power as i`m sure it will come in time. It was our central pairing of Ferdinand and Upson.
I will watch football first tonight with great interest, as i`m sure they must of lost 75% of all the aerial balls. I thought they were piss poor. To me, once fit we should run with the welsh boys. Collins will win most headers, which our current two don`t. As well as giving us a threat from set pieces. Gabbidon, will give us the pace that Upson clearly lacks.
End of rant!!!
I thought upson played well. I think Ferdinand's poor positioning caused upson some problems at times.

You think we struggled in the air but your way of fixing it would have been to play little danny gabbidon?
E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

come on people it was all about luis boa morte he came on and the whole game changed he desrves praise
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

BH wrote:What concerned me today,wasn`t the lack of fire power as i`m sure it will come in time. It was our central pairing of Ferdinand and Upson.
End of rant!!!
I know this may be a cliche... but central defence partnerships need time to allow an understanding to develop...

Personally I see our best partnership being Upson and Collins, but we wont know until we see them play together
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

E13_Hammer wrote:come on people it was all about luis boa morte he came on and the whole game changed he desrves praise
He looked very good. Hope he can play like that again.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

RM9 wrote: Why all this midtable b*llocks? You really do love Curbushley, you even have the same ambitions. Get to 40 points and then that's all? Well it's not f*cking good enough.

I couldn't give 2 flying ****'s whether we only 'just stayed up last year', or that it's 'all about consilidation'. The fact of the matter is, we now have more money at our disposal than this club has ever had. Money = sucess (if spent correctly ;) ). The West Ham of old would of been looking for mid-table, this 'new beginning' is about aiming higher up. The sooner Eggy realises that Alan ****ing Curbishley will only ever bring boring, mind numbing, unattractive, unsucessful, unimaginative football and mid table ****, the better.

Give him time my arse, get someone with some creativity in. I'm not fickle, this isn't a kneee jerk reaction. I've always hated the the style of football the man plays and always will. Yes he did well with Charlton, but no different to Paul Jewell, Steve Bruce and Fat Sam.

Welcome to the club RM9. Curbs was mediocre at Charlton, happy with mid table for most of his time there. Steve Coppell has got the same type of players but I don't think he'll be happy to spend the next ten years in mid table or there abouts. Curbs is out of his depth at this level.
PS never rated him as a player either.
Incey-is-a-moron!

Post by Incey-is-a-moron! »

E13_Hammer wrote:come on people it was all about luis boa morte he came on and the whole game changed he desrves praise
Boa Morte seems an enigma. Occasionally he runs the entire game whereas other times he looks totally disinterested. He played well today as did Lucas. The Z-Man had another shocker though.
E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

was bellamys offside goal a goal couldnt really see from the centenry lower ????
chalky

Post by chalky »

Why all this midtable b*llocks? You really do love Curbushley, you even have the same ambitions. Get to 40 points and then that's all? Well it's not f*cking good enough.

I couldn't give 2 flying ****'s whether we only 'just stayed up last year', or that it's 'all about consilidation'. The fact of the matter is, we now have more money at our disposal than this club has ever had. Money = sucess (if spent correctly Wink ). The West Ham of old would of been looking for mid-table, this 'new beginning' is about aiming higher up. The sooner Eggy realises that Alan ****ing Curbishley will only ever bring boring, mind numbing, unattractive, unsucessful, unimaginative football and mid table ****, the better.

Give him time my arse, get someone with some creativity in. I'm not fickle, this isn't a kneee jerk reaction. I've always hated the the style of football the man plays and always will. Yes he did well with Charlton, but no different to Paul Jewell, Steve Bruce and Fat Sam.
'kin 'ell. Don't hide your light under a bushel fella, vent your spleen. Lol.

Basically, I tend to agree with you, but that's my problem.

If a player is not fit, he shouldn't even be on the bench! Factamundo. He should be getting physio, or out on the piss!

Zman? 'A' for effort...'D' for actual end result. ie. 'close but no cigar'!

Do I actually have to spell it out?

As for booing LBM? Whoever did that is a disgrace. He was damned useful in our 'great escape', and is ring rusty because he either gets played out of position, or not at all!

I still don't rate AC though. Sometimes, at least to me, it looks like he's got a death wish?
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

With Heskey being dropped further and futher back to be used as a support man on the counter attack to Aghahowa's runs we needed someone in the middle who would keep a track of Hesky when he attacked and in return put pressure on him and forcing him out of position. Mullins today was not up for the job (as symbolised by his looking the other way when the ball was passed to him on the edge of our area). Neill looked shakey at times and Zamora did not have his best game of football.

Saying all that a point is better then none. Found it funny that after Wigan score some of their fans tried to rush the home support knowing full well the police would hold them back. Hiding behind the police to taunt another set of fans is really muggy no matter who does it.
JimWHUFC

Post by JimWHUFC »

My thoughts on today:

Average performance. Looked bright at times but made to many mistakes.

Pleasing to see good team work and passion to fight back for a goal rather than how we gave up against Man City.

Gabbidon or Collins are better than Upson. Yes Upson was playing well in the Championship but he is not cutting it. I don't trust his ability especially when playing next to Anton who needs to be with someone consistent to really feel confident and be at his best.
rolokinghydrofoil

Post by rolokinghydrofoil »

E13_Hammer wrote:was bellamys offside goal a goal couldnt really see from the centenry lower ????
Looked on from where I was sitting too, but was offside according to bbc match report. Also loving this extract from same report:

"Aghahowa, fairly anonymous in the first half, was the main aggressor for Wigan."

He didn't come on until the 39th minute. Mugs. :lol:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

The Bob wrote:
Bowyer 7: Gets the obligatory 7 for scoring but should have scored one earlier. Who booed him when he come on? PRICKS! :evil:

Boa 7: Again, who booed Boa Morte when he come on? I thought he done great, this is much more like it and what we expect from LBM.

Atmosphere was f*cking sh*t and there were no Dave Whe*an songs :(. f*cking weather was a nightmare too, why was it so hot? :lol:
I agree...the booing was ridiculous.

There were Dave Whelan songs from the CL. We were singing a few of them. The atmosphere in the CL was fantastic first half. I think the fact it was so ****ing hot had people totally ****ed by the 2nd.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

End of rant!!!
I'll drink to that
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 672 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by davids cross »

It was so bloody hot there today :oops: . Some good things today some ordinary, having been beaten at UP the last two seasons I was actually expecting Wigan to do us for a third time. We should really have won but in the end I felt relieved we had fought back and got a point. I don't think there's too much wrong we just need a spark to click it in to place.....As I was watching I kept think of Eidur and he is just what we needed today....Dyer did well imo as did the so frustrating Boa Morte ( please play like that when you start Boa)...... Parker would have been important today will be a huge plus to get him back in midfield.
With a few days left till the transfer window closes I think we MUST get one more striker in, Bobby was poor today.......Over to you Egg and Curbs....Eidur (if fit) or Anelka please. :thup:
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

I think that instead of trying to walk the ball into the net we should take some ****ing shots!! Don't rate the Upson-Ferdinand defence, they get to confused about who is doing what and if someone was to sneeze, well, that'll be them dead. Apart from that the team finally looks like they are getting some fluency in their play
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

jacko wrote:The bob - Cannot believe you think Noble earned a 7! I thought he had a bad game.
Noble made some excellent passes which changed the direction of the game and wrong-footed Wigan. I thought he continued to show good signs of improvement.
E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

oh yh who saw that man showing his big belly to the cameras which appeard on the screen :lol: