West Ham Utd 1 Wigan 1 (25/08/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Just watched it. I wouldn't be too worried with the result. They look a little better each match. Dyer and Bellamy will find their niche. It's nice to have that kind of pace for a change. I think it's time to start Ashton. He played well. In fact his flick ons from the long ball were deadly. Hopefully his success with those doesn't encourage the back 4 to continue their campaign to play boot the ball as far as they can whenever they can. LBM looked pretty good in the middle. Maybe that would be a better place to use him, since we've all been bellyaching for a creative player in the middle of the park. He and Deano caused problems for Wigan with their exchange play. I think that's encouraging. Reading will be a good test next time out. Come on Curbs, give Deano his start. He's the kind of player that needs time on the pitch. Zamora has always done well off the bench. I think we might be a decent side this year if we can keep people reasonably healthy. Injuries will be the thing that kills this club.
FEH

Post by FEH »

Does anyone knows whether match highlights are available anywhere online? Thanks.
Keepers
Location: If we could play Arsenal every week , everything would be great.

Post by Keepers »

We would have won if Ashton had started.

Upson is a ccc defender. He has very poor passing ability.
He gives no cover to the others as he is always to flat.
He never looks comfortable or in control.
Gabbs and Collins for me please. Collins looks like he will
score a few as well. Gabbs is class .

Dyer will do well for us. (f*** he is fast).

LBM keep it up . That is more like the fulham player i liked.

Bellamy will be a better player next to Ashton.

Ashton, Dyer , Bellamy and Noble will start to read each
other a bit better and the goals will start to flow.

Not bad but should have had all 3 points.
devostash
Location: Dreaming of emigrating to Australia...But sadly still in North Herts

Post by devostash »

Keepers wrote:We would have won if Ashton had started.

Upson is a ccc defender. He has very poor passing ability.
He gives no cover to the others as he is always to flat.
He never looks comfortable or in control.
Gabbs and Collins for me please. Collins looks like he will
score a few as well. Gabbs is class .

Dyer will do well for us. (f*ck he is fast).

LBM keep it up . That is more like the fulham player i liked.

Bellamy will be a better player next to Ashton.

Ashton, Dyer , Bellamy and Noble will start to read each
other a bit better and the goals will start to flow.

Not bad but should have had all 3 points.
I would say Upson is better than a fizzy pop league defender but not worth the money we ****ed out for him.. Collins did look impressive last year.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

upson did well enough, distribution wasn't too good but he and ferdinand held his own against heskey and co. ok..agahowa was a threat and koumas..apart from that wigan had very little to show.
Keepers
Location: If we could play Arsenal every week , everything would be great.

Post by Keepers »

claretcloggy wrote:upson did well enough, distribution wasn't too good but he and ferdinand held his own against heskey and co. ok..agahowa was a threat and koumas..apart from that wigan had very little to show.
That will be one of the weakest teams we will meet all year.

It's his distribution that will cost us. He never gives an angle,
looks as if he is uncomfortable on the ball. He gave half a dozen
hospital passes. Against a team with few players of quality,
what will happen when we are under pressure against a top side.
I'll tell you the long punt up field, time and time again.

He even pushed linda in the back as he managed to miss the
ball with his head to give away the throw on from which they
scored.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

- Green is a top quality keeper who undoubtedly should be in the England squad but he needs to open his mouth a bit more. There were a couple of times where he didn't communicate with his defenders which left both him and them wondering who should deal with the situation. That save he made was top class.

- Neil looked understandably rusty but got better as the game went on. Good to have him back.

- Not impressed by Upson at all. Slow, ponderous and very poor distribution of the ball. Apart from one moment of casualness, I thought Ferdinand did well. Won headers all day against a difficult opponent in Heskey, he should have scored in the first half with that one which just went wide.

- How quick is Dyer! In and out of the game, I liked the way which tried to utilise his and Bellamy's pace in the channels. I am very impressed by Bellamy's work rate. Constantly on the move and closing down.

- Boa Morte was superb when he came on. Why don't we see that more often?

- That Granqvist for Wigan looks an excellent buy. Scharner's goal was very good.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

claretcloggy wrote:upson did well enough, distribution wasn't too good but he and ferdinand held his own against heskey and co. ok..agahowa was a threat and koumas..apart from that wigan had very little to show.
But they only played one up front so rightly so they should have coped..

I personally have a Bee in my bonnet about him, don't know why, i just honestly seem to watch him & he gives the ball away time & time again, gets caught out of position a lot, gets beaten for pace & isn't as good as people say he is in the air..

Maybe i just watch him at the wrong times... :wink:

Collins for me is head & shoulders above him & i'd also like Gabbidon to get back in the team & see how he is shaping up, Gabbidon is the biggest confidence Player i have ever known & the majority of his entire game is if he is mentally confident or not....
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

ChzMff wrote:- Green is a top quality keeper who undoubtedly should be in the England squad but he needs to open his mouth a bit more. There were a couple of times where he didn't communicate with his defenders which left both him and them wondering who should deal with the situation. That save he made was top class.

- Neil looked understandably rusty but got better as the game went on. Good to have him back.

- Not impressed by Upson at all. Slow, ponderous and very poor distribution of the ball. Apart from one moment of casualness, I thought Ferdinand did well. Won headers all day against a difficult opponent in Heskey, he should have scored in the first half with that one which just went wide.

- How quick is Dyer! In and out of the game, I liked the way which tried to utilise his and Bellamy's pace in the channels. I am very impressed by Bellamy's work rate. Constantly on the move and closing down.

- Boa Morte was superb when he came on. Why don't we see that more often?
BECAUSE HE PUT A SHOW ON THINKING HE MIGHT BE GOING TO SPURS (Mail Today)

- That Granqvist for Wigan looks an excellent buy. Scharner's goal was very good.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

I thought we played some good stuff in parts but lacked a cutting edge. To be honest we really should of won. Curbs got the subs spot on because when he brought Boa Morte on for Bellamy I was a tad confused but it proved to the right move as Boa Morte was fantastic when he came on here.

I'd go for Bellamy as man of the match. His work rate was fantastic and his pace caused Wigan a lot of problems. I don't know if his ruled out goal was offside but it looked very tight. Talking of decisions I thought we should of had a penalty when Noble was tugged down. Looked obvious to me and I was shocked when the ref never gave it. I thought Dyer had a good game as well and does anyone want to tell me how Green is not in the England squad? Quality keeper.

Ashton has got to start. Even though he is not 100% match fit he does bring a extra dimension to our play and the only way he'll get match fit is by playing games.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:I thought we played some good stuff in parts but lacked a cutting edge. To be honest we really should of won. Curbs got the subs spot on because when he brought Boa Morte on for Bellamy I was a tad confused but it proved to the right move as Boa Morte was fantastic when he came on here.

I'd go for Bellamy as man of the match. His work rate was fantastic and his pace caused Wigan a lot of problems. I don't know if his ruled out goal was offside but it looked very tight. Talking of decisions I thought we should of had a penalty when Noble was tugged down. Looked obvious to me and I was shocked when the ref never gave it. I thought Dyer had a good game as well and does anyone want to tell me how Green is not in the England squad? Quality keeper.

Ashton has got to start. Even though he is not 100% match fit he does bring a extra dimension to our play and the only way he'll get match fit is by playing games.
Starting tuesday's game (which curbs confirmed after the game yesterday) against a team who wont care if they kick they **** out of him will be a good test for his match fitness... it should also see him get the ball quite abit
shoreyda2nd

Post by shoreyda2nd »

tbh i would love to see gabbs and collins at reading. We'll need quick defenders there. Collins last season was nothing short of amazing
E13_Hammer

Post by E13_Hammer »

shoreyda2nd wrote:tbh i would love to see gabbs and collins at reading. We'll need quick defenders there. Collins last season was nothing short of amazing
collins is injured at the moment