LC2: Bristol Rovers 1 West Ham Utd 2 (28/08/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

shammy wrote:

What a mug you are.
I'm sorry shammy but there is absolutely no reason nor excuse for throwing personal insults at someone. Everyone is upset and frustrated by Dyer's injury. I'm not sure where you think being a keyboard warrior and taking it out on fellow West Ham fans will get you. Just a thought
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Terrible news for Dyer. I have no idea about what this means for a pro footballer but in my personal experience (skiing, who needs it!) mending bones was a **** load easier and faster than mending ligaments & other stuff.

I hope the cries of 'career over' are well exaggerated.

What is this ****ing bad luck we're having with injuries.........jeez. It's not only us, but we seem to be getting more than our fair share.

What are the odds on a soon to be launched investigation into whether the premier league (football generally) is pushing players too far? Given recent events in the game (including tonight's collapse) and the UK's nanny attitude generally, I wouldn't be surprised.

I REALLY want to see at least (yet another) midfield and striker arrive this week.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I don't think i've ever hated one of our own players as much as Bowyer. He really winds me up doing shitty dirty tackles instead of going for the ball and is always diving. Also Bellamy was excellent tonight but what is this dropping off business about?
daniel

Post by daniel »

Anywhere I can watch Bellamy's goals online?
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

davids cross wrote: I think leg breaks have nothing to do with a players past injuries......they are one offs in the extreme imo.
Agreed, how can you legislate for something like that? That's like saying Deano is injury prone now as he broke his ankle.

Was a shocking injury though, probably worse than Cisse when he did his for Liverpool. I will be very surprised if we see him again for a long long time.
Hopeful Hammer

Post by Hopeful Hammer »

Hopeful Hammer wrote:I've just come online because I wanted to say that the commentators were sh*t it was obvious that the player fouled him on purpose and also obvious that he had broken his leg. :thdn:
I'm quoting my own post but I though Sky's coverage regarding Dyers injury was an absolute disgrace.

I have never in my entire life seen pundits trying to influence the viewer the way they were doing today without showing the incident.

Curbs came on and rightly said that the player did it deliberately yet the pundits continued to disagree and yet continued to refuse to show the foul so that the viewers could decide for themselves.

It happened early in the game, there was a 5 minute break in play at the time then 15 minutes at half time and another 15 minutes after the game and they showed the incident twice in all that time, ****ing disgrace.

They must show every other pointless and insignificant incident about 5 times each.
Last edited by Hopeful Hammer on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhammer7

Post by happyhammer7 »

I'd really like to punch the guy who broke Dyer's leg in the face right now, if that's not possible then Bowyer will do fine
X-Hammer-X

Post by X-Hammer-X »

My Player Ratings:

Wright-7 done his job
Neill-6 looked sloppy second half
Ferdinand-6 caught out a couple of times
Gabbidon-7 solid display
Mccartney-7 solid, good runs down the wing in first half
Bowyer-6 1/2 crap first half, lot better second half
Bo morte-6 Lost possesion 2 easily
Mullins-6 no confidence going forward, 2 many sideways passing
Noble-7 great first half, went missing in second
Dyer-3 injured
Zamora-4 lazy at times, never looked like scoring
bellamy-9 MOTM great runs, good passing, 2 quality finishes
subs- Cole-4. Collins-5
Last edited by X-Hammer-X on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

For those of you who think we are jinxed he broke his leg in the 13th minute. I give up.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Some of you lot are never happy.
The first half we were perfect, and I mean perfect. We kept the ball brilliantly, were patient and scored two very good goals. I've never seen a West Ham side keep such good posession as we did in the first half.
The second half was harder as they pressed us a lot more, but the game would have been out of reach had Bowyer taken his chance early in the half. They came back into it but they're not an awful side and their second half performance was the least we should have expected. Overall, I'm very pleased with the performance and result. The Dyer injury coupled with another awful game from Zamora were the only down sides.

Ratings:
Wright-7 Solid enough. Could do nothing about the goal.
McCartney-8 Thought he played really well in the first half and we looked less secure in defence after he went off.
Ferdinand-6 Looked in control in the first half but was all at sea a couple of times in the second, particularly with their goal.
Gabbidon-8 Really encouraging display by Gabbs. Made me believe we may have the old Gabbidon back again one day.
Neill-5 Dissapointing performance. Played ok first half without really getting involved, and did a good ball for Bellamy's goal. In the second half, however, he was woeful. He was beaten by their left winger time and again and also gave the ball away several times. Hardly a captain's performance and has had a poor season thus far.
Boa Morte-6 Not bad. Certainly better than the Man City game. However, he still offers little and he faded more and more as the match progessed.
Mullins-7 Again, a very good performance by Mullins. In the first half, he ran the show. He made a couple of mistakes getting caught on the ball which brought his score down a bit but at the moment he's playing some good stuff.
Dyer- Not enough time to give a score. Horrible injury, but what did we expect? You buy injury prone players, the get injured. Shock horror.
Bowyer-7 A pretty good performance by Bowyer. Yes, he still does the occasional stupid tackle but he also did some very good ones today. Was unlucky not to score and he played a large part in our competent passing and keeping of posession.
Bellamy-9 MOTM Fantastic display. His running off the ball is excellent and both goals were extremely well taken. He looks the pick of the summer signings thus far.
Zamora-5 Very poor again from Bobby. Dunno what's wrong with him. Maybe it's a confidence thing but it has to be Bellamy-Ashton against Reading I'm afraid.

SUBS
Noble-7 Usual committment and good display. Still the occasional lapse but he was solid throughout.
C.Cole-5 He offers nothing. Please get rid, ASAP.
Collins-6 Won lots of headers including one from which he was very unlucky not to score. However, he didn't win a crucial header in the lead-up to their goal. Great to see him back though.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Hopeful Hammer wrote:
I'm quoting my own post but I though Sky's coverage regarding Dyers injury was an absolute disgrace.

I have never in my entire life seen pundits trying to influence the viewer the way they were doing today without showing the incident.

Curbs came on and rightly said that the player did it deliberately yet the pundits continued to disagree and yet continued to refuse to show the foul so that the viewers could decide for themselves.

It happened early in the game, there was a 5 minute break in play at the time then 15 minutes at half time and another 15 minutes after the game and they showed the incident twice in all that time, f*cking disgrace.

They must show every other pointless and insignificant incident about 5 times each.
Maybe they thought it was a bit of a bad one to show again and again and again.

Not condoning it cos I had to turn away from the replay so I can't say I saw it.

Just showing the highlights now....lets see if they show it..yes they did, I can't see how they can say that he was kicked on purpose though.

Bellamys pace for the second goal was phenomenal.
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

I like Zamora but he put in a very sluggish performance tonight, and seemed really off the pace, he really needs a goal to get going. I say start Ashton this Saturday.
Hopeful Hammer

Post by Hopeful Hammer »

Jackanakanory wrote: Maybe they thought it was a bit of a bad one to show again and again and again.

Not condoning it cos I had to turn away from the replay so I can't say I saw it.

Just showing the highlights now....lets see if they show it..yes they did, I can't see how they can say that he was kicked on purpose though.

Bellamys pace for the second goal was phenomenal.
Well this is the thing I missed the incident originally so the first time I saw it was the first replay then quickly followed the second replay.

To me it looked like the guy kicked him on purpose but I didn't get to see it enough times to say that with any real confidence.

The fact is I don't need some idiots telling me their opinion on it when they could just as easily show the incident again and let people decide themselves.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Wright 7 - Steady enough

Neill 6 - Was a bit wanky tonight and also looked a bit rusty saturday. Needs games

Ferdinand 5 - Was at fault for the goal and needs a move to another club, but considering he's gonna be doing bird soon, he's going nowhere.

Gabbidon 7 - Pretty steady stuff from Gabbs, kinda reminded me of our first season back up

Linda 7 - Got down the left well

Bowyer 7 - Worked really hard and seemed to be boosted by his goal on saturday

Mullins 7 - Decent enough

Dyer - Very unlucky

Boa Morte 2 - Utterly useless tonight and should've been replaced with Etherington

Bellamy 10 - Ran the show

Zamora 5 - The sooner Deano's back the better
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

Wright - n/a - Had nothing to do.

Neill - 2 - Useless.
Ferdinand - 7 - Was undone by a world class piece of skill.
Gabbidon - 8 - Easy game.
McCartney - 8 - Shorey who?

Bowyer - 5 - Just didn't do enough.
Dyer - n/a - Out for the season.
Mullins - 7 - Classy display, good assist.
Boa Morte - 6 - Not enough against lower league players.

Zamora - 4 - Awful.
Bellamy - 9 - Too easy for him. MOTM

SUBS:
Noble - 7 - Controlled the game, then they scored and he hid.
Collins - 6 - Moments of class but at fault for the goals.
Cole - n/a - Laughable.
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Tel The Hammer wrote:Wright 7 - Steady enough

Neill 6 - Was a bit wanky tonight and also looked a bit rusty saturday. Needs games

Ferdinand 5 - Was at fault for the goal and needs a move to another club, but considering he's gonna be doing bird soon, he's going nowhere.

Gabbidon 7 - Pretty steady stuff from Gabbs, kinda reminded me of our first season back up

Linda 7 - Got down the left well

Bowyer 7 - Worked really hard and seemed to be boosted by his goal on saturday

Mullins 7 - Decent enough

Dyer - Very unlucky

Boa Morte 2 - Utterly useless tonight and should've been replaced with Etherington

Bellamy 10 - Ran the show

Zamora 5 - The sooner Deano's back the better
Agreed :D
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

While I remember, and I know they're only league 1, and that we were a bit ropey 2nd half, but thats the first time they've lost in 15 games so a good result when it comes down to it :D
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Got to say I thought we looked fantastic 1st half. I know it was only Bristol Rovers but we really outclassed them and played some great flowing football. 2nd half we started off well but then we kept on being done by long balls. For example their goal came from a big kick from their keeper that we allowed to bounce just before he got to our defence. We can't let that happen.

Bellamy was outstanding and MOTM by far. He ran the show and just looked utter class. His runs were fantastic, his pace caused them all sorts of problems and both goals he scored were two brilliant finishes. I thought Noble had a good game when he came on for Dyer (more on that in a minute) as did Bowyer. Neill was way off the pace but to be fair he's only just got back from injury. Thought Bowyer and Mullins had decent games but Boa Morte was very poor.

The poorest playerson the pitch today though was Zamora. The thing is we know how good he can be but he looks very short of confidence. He never really won anything in the air, looked slow on the ball and missed a good chance with that header. For me it's got to be Ashton and Bellamy upfront on Saturday.

As for Dyer well I'm gutted for him. He's had a good start playing for us and now he gets this. He looked in utter agony and you can tell how bad it was by the replay. Best of luck and get well soon Kieron.
dodger wrote:Dyer- Not enough time to give a score. Horrible injury, but what did we expect? You buy injury prone players, the get injured. Shock horror.
Not just you Dodger but I just picked you're quote.

His previous injury record has nothing to do with the injury tonight. It was a freak injury and nothing to do with being injury prone.
we beat (just) Bristol Rovers, Dyers career is over and you say
First off we deserved to win tonight and secondly can you stop saying that Dyers career is over when you have nothing to back that up.
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

Sat in the home stand, front row, draped my scarf over the advertising boards as | wasn't allowed to wear it!

Had to endure 90 odd minutes of abuse from the Rovers fans behind me, and had a cameraman in my face with a steadicam just after Rovers scored. :x Probably as I was the lone Hammers fan amongst a sea of blue and white. :wink:

A real shame about Dyer, thought Bellers did a grand job, and quite impressed with Ferdinand & McCartney too. But Zamora, again, it's just not gelling for him at the moment, and Lucas Neill was awful tonight. An unusual quiet performance from him.

My best picture of the night...

Omi
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Omi »

Neill has been pretty rubbish since the end of last season. He was extremely poor in the Asian Cup for Australia and his form hasn't really improved since.