West Ham Utd 3 Middlesbrough 0 (15/09/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Still nothing on footytube, but goals 2 and 3 are over here:

http://www.hk-soccer.com/englandpremier ... ed-vs.html
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

Can't believe the f*ckers got two goals yesterday, while I was still finishing off my pint/prawn sandwich's in the Dr Martin Upper, bar :evil: :oops:
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

We will need to sort out the defence a bit before the next game, there was enough f*** ups in communication for the result to have been a lot different.
Just as well, their attackers were **** finishers and Green was as solid as usual plus lady luck did smile on us a couple of times.
It was a good win but these are the games we would expect to win. Get something out of the next 3 games and who knows how the season could end up.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Green really showed his class yesterday; clearly more threatened than at the Madejski, but he made the saves that counted. We also have some luck - their penetration justified at least one goal

Mullins is the steady player around whom more attack minded players can be moulded. I was a little worried once or twice to see Noble drop to practically the 18 yard line to pick up the ball. If Mark had played the ball to Etherington (for the last goal) people would be on here suggesting he needs an international call up - it was great vision and it totally exploited Matty's pace. All of the players recognised the purity of that pass, congratulating Mullins as much as Deano.

Cole makes a nuisance of himself. I can see him scoring one or two, from the bench, and he's clearly a confidence player. I'd like him to start against Plymouth, perhaps partnering Camara.

Bowyer's finding his shooting sights and Ethers had a good day at the office, again.

As others have said - it was a little worrying to see our defence sprung by an intelligent forward but it would be a bit much to come on here and moan about them now - a second clean sheet in consecutive matches. We have after all conceded so far this season half as much as Spurs have in the last two games.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by Major »

bumpkinhammer wrote:We will need to sort out the defence a bit before the next game, there was enough f*ck ups in communication for the result to have been a lot different.
Just as well, their attackers were sh*t finishers and Green was as solid as usual plus lady luck did smile on us a couple of times.
It was a good win but these are the games we would expect to win. Get something out of the next 3 games and who knows how the season could end up.

I agree about the defence and the luck, but why should we "expect " to win these games? Boro have got a decent squad and can be a real handful.

I think the expectation is far to high this year.

Good win yesterday (fortunate) but a good win.
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

Major wrote:
I agree about the defence and the luck, but why should we "expect " to win these games? Boro have got a decent squad and can be a real handful.

I think the expectation is far to high this year.

Good win yesterday (fortunate) but a good win.
Ok maybe not 'expect' but at home to a team who will be in our 'mini-league' it is a game we are firm favourites to win. My expectation is top 10, not what i would call 'high', it is only 5 places higher than last year!
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Yesterday was a good day but it could esaily have been a higher scoring game ending 5-3 or something :lol:

I am still interested in seeing how the team would react to going a goal behind, as whenever they do they just seem to lose confidence.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Great win. Two 3-0 wins on the trot now and up to 5th in the league at the moment.

Difference between us and them was our finishing was better. Boro had quite a few chances but never took them. The general play of the game was quite even.

Between Etherington and Mullins for MOTM. I'm going to go with Etherington who I thought was full of running and put a quality ball in for Ashtons goal. Mullins was fantastic and broke up the play really well.

Great to see Ashton scoring again. He had a very good game and the noise when he scored was defining. Bowyer took his goal really well as well and he is starting to look like the Lee Bowyer of a few years ago.

I also thought Carlton Cole had a good game when he came on. Other than his shocking miss he set up two goals, worked very hard and some of his play was very good.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Ironball wrote:Funny game today.

Tuncay sprang our offisde trap so many times in the second half. We could easily have lost 1-3 or something. Not sure what happened there.
Cole was involved in two goals but didn't look very good. Etherington was great again, however. Bowyer looks to be getting back to the player we hoped he would be. Nice to see Ashton scoring.

Overall, really superb result; but it doesn't fill me with loads of encouragement for tougher games this season. against sharper strikers where our goal is not quite so blessed.
Thanks largely to Neill
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

cockney farmer wrote: Thanks largely to Neill
I've said it a couple of times today that there is no way in the World that he could have played in Melbourne on Tuesday/Wednesday like he did ( in a ****ing friendly ) & be mentally & physically fully fit on the saturday...
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote:
I also thought Carlton Cole had a good game when he came on. Other than his shocking miss he set up two goals, worked very hard and some of his play was very good.
But too much was effing awful. Especially in the first half. Looked like he had just got out of bed and had not expected to play. Overall I thought he tried hard but did so many simple things wrong. But early days and I am not writing him off. In training he needs some praise plus plenty of focus on what he can do better.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Very similar game to City but we got the first goal.
McCartney was for me our best player.
Neil our worst.

Still not convinced about Upson but Green showed he is the real England number 1
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Strange game really, quite easily could have ended 4-4!

Boro were one of my tips to go to down after the sold Viduka but they actually have a decent team, perhaps we were slightly fortunate that Alliadiere went off when he did.

Neill hasn't looked right all season, perhaps a combination of niggly injuries and jetlag?

Deano is looking trimmer every match, I am sure he has shifted another half a stone since the City game.

Great to be so high in the league, although the bigger teams are on their way and it will be interesting to see how we fare against them.
H4g5ster

Post by H4g5ster »

hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

sgt_squirrel wrote: damn you! :lol:
Well I'm blowed, that's another bad luck charm down the pan (thanks christ!)