Newcastle Utd 3 West Ham Utd 1 (28/09/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

fleetyfoot
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by fleetyfoot »

Truth wrote:A limping, injured Bellamy is still a class above cole at his best. Play injured Zamora for ****'s sake, anybody but cole and that other useless sack of ***** camara.
Playing players while they are injured will just prolong their recoveries.
fleetyfoot
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by fleetyfoot »

OLDUN wrote:Get used to it we are a middle of the table team ,we will beat teams like Boro one week and lose to Newcastle the next, we will beat teams worse than us and lose to teams better than us .The secret is dont get too excited when we win and dont get down hearted when we lose .
Spot on
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

fleetyfoot wrote: Spot on
Top post, i'd love it if we were just a mid table team this season, we need to steady the ship and then we can progress. The aim for this season has to be to avoid relegation as soon as possible (get to 40 points) and then see what happens there on.
polar
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by polar »

Disappointed. We played well in the first half and were unlucky to find us losing. Second half was not so good. You can see that Ashton is not properly fit as he fades in the second half. At least he managed to last the whole game. Some progress at least.

I'm alarmed by the form of Neill. He looks a shadow of the player he last season. For the second game running our defence looked shaky.

Cole played well in the first half and doesn't on the display seem the waste of space I thought he was.

I hope Parker can add something to side when he comes in and I shall be watching him closely on Wednesday night to see if he has a chance to play against the Arse.
Darling

Post by Darling »

I'm convinced we had more ability on the pitch than the Barcodes on the pitch today. The 3 points were there for the taking, but we shot ourselves in the foot with suicide 'organisation' at the back. Dare I say, Noble was a bit of a liability today, as was Neil.

A long as we learn from these lessons, I don't mind. This is where we'll see whether Curbs is the real deal, and i'm backing him to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Keep the faith.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

What's with all the negativity?...

We're seventh in the league FFS.

I thought we deserved a point today as Newcastle were ****ing gash for most of the game. Yes we were ***** second half - but we dominated the first half.

Only thing that I was a bit pissed off with was Anton's defending (or lack of it) for their first goal. Other than that things are looking quite rosey. We've now got a decent squad with lots of competition for places. With a fully fit squad Curbishley has us going places - I'm now feeling really positive about this season.

Roll on L'Arse next week
Truth

Post by Truth »

Larry wrote: FFS - Camara, only had 15 minutes or so on the pitch and had next to no chances at goal give the guy a chance.
In 15 minutes I expect a hat trick. It takes a second to score a goal... I think I'm being pretty ****ing generous giving him 5 minutes for each one.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Darling wrote:I'm convinced we had more ability on the pitch than the Barcodes on the pitch today. The 3 points were there for the taking, but we shot ourselves in the foot with suicide 'organisation' at the back. Dare I say, Noble was a bit of a liability today, as was Neil.

A long as we learn from these lessons, I don't mind. This is where we'll see whether Curbs is the real deal, and i'm backing him to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Keep the faith.
Top post except for the red bit.... :wink:
one fine morning....

Post by one fine morning.... »

we are seventh. ahead of spurs.

we've lost two games this season.

both of those sides are the only teams outside of the top four above us.

ashton is back among the goals.

ljungberg, parker, bellamy and zamora are all to come in

in all probability we will be be in the last 16 of the league cup this week.

what a terrible time to be a West Ham fan.
Last edited by one fine morning.... on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Truth

Post by Truth »

one fine morning.... wrote:we are sixth. ahead of chelsea and Sp*rs.

we've lost two games this season.

both of those sides are the only teams outside of the top four above us.

ashton is back among the goals.

ljungberg, parker, bellamy and zamora are all to come in

in all probability we will be be in the last 16 of the league cup this week.

what a terrible time to be a West Ham fan.
Glory hunter. Go support arsenal if you expect more than that.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Truth wrote: Glory hunter. Go support arsenal if you expect more than that.
Irony ? What's that ? :lol: :lol:
wwipe2001
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wwipe2001 »

well, if we can take some positives out of this game, its that at least curbs will probably be tempted to break up his "winning team." as much as i'm a fan of mullins, bowyer, etherington, etc, you do sometimes need a kick up the backside to get players to avoid complacency. besides, i'd like to see parker get a run out, as well as freddie and maybe even boa morte and solano. i thought cole looked ok today, but it is what it is - he's the fifth choice striker so people need to get off his back. likewise with some of the midfield there are so many players out or injured its unreal. we just lacked the cutting edge and maybe some focus, but you couldn't accuse anyone of being lazy or not trying. i think we'll bounce back next week for sure.
chalky

Post by chalky »

If only.... wrote:We had the breaks last week and the score flattered us.

Today it swung the other way.

It happens.

Defending on the right is a worry. Neill was poor and Bowyer is slow.
Exactly.
west ham dancing shoes

Post by west ham dancing shoes »

thought we'd go on to win it today when we got ourselves back into it or atleast come away with a point, glad to see ashton score again, neill didnt look in the game all afternoon, but was impressed with camara when he came on.
chalky

Post by chalky »

OLDUN wrote:Get used to it we are a middle of the table team ,we will beat teams like Boro one week and lose to Newcastle the next, we will beat teams worse than us and lose to teams better than us .The secret is dont get too excited when we win and dont get down hearted when we lose .
That aint bad advice, trouble is, most of us want the penny and the bun! Lol.
chalky

Post by chalky »

Up the Junction wrote: Yet I found him excellent!

Thought he let the game flow whenever possible (see our free-kick towards the end, for example) and dealt with any incidents with common sense.

Rob Styles would have sent both Butt and Noble off (although I agree Butt was VERY luck to escape censure for that 'tackle').
Yeah, on balance I thought 'rodent Riley' got it about right. He could have booked Bowyer for his trademark 'gobbing off', so, even steven?
RushdenHammer

Post by RushdenHammer »

Let's be honest we bossed the first half yet ended up 2-1 down - poor defending down the right hand side cost us 3 goals. No drama's we lost to 3 chances all converted by the bar codes but we cannot allow sloppy defending like that next week.

Lets move on
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Did not deserve to be 2-1 down at half time but the second goal took th wind out of our sails and we never fully recovered. Its a **** to lose but thems the breaks. Bloody Viduka and my friends first goalscorer bet
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by roblo »

In all hounstey, we looked bad today. Compared to our previous away performances we were slow, clumsy and lazy. When Cole's name was read out I knew we would be very lucky to get a point. He has a poor touch, runs into black spots when he shoud lay it off. OK, he set up the goal, but his all-round game was poor, losing possesion in vital positions.

Neil was garbage. I firmly believe he is taking it 'easy' because he knows he'll keep on getting picked regardless of his performance.

It was so obvious that we were missing Bellamy. That extra bit of pace and movement was evident.

We had opportunities were we could have got back into the game but didn't make the most of the final ball. Despite his goal, it's clear that Ashton needs a top quality partner a long side him.

The goals were defences lapses. We weren't switch on and it prove costly. I don't think Collins would have let Viduka score the first.

We need to recover and give a good account ourselves next week, regardless of the final score.
Atters
Doesn't mind going second
Location: Somewhere on lifes great highway - or is it the A12?!

Post by Atters »

Good points: Deano still aint fully match fit, yet did more than enough to give their centre halfs a scare or two. If Bowyer had his shooting boots on, he could have come away with a couple of goals. Noble, you always get a committed 90 minutes from him now.

Frustrating point: Carlton Cole. When I saw their back four line up, I honestly believed that they were there to be attacked. If Cole had the confidence to get the ball down at his feet and run at them, we may have had more joy. Instead I think he was too preoccupied with trying the clever flick on or 1-2 too often.

Bad point: Lucas Neill. A Captain should lead by example. His Scaloni impression (not clearing his lines and trying to be clever) cost us the first goal and he was completely A.W.O.L for goals 2 and 3. He didn't have that good a game last week either. Needs to sharpen up.