Newcastle Utd 3 West Ham Utd 1 (28/09/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Groping

Post by Groping »

Many points to make;

NEIL - been awful for last couple of games. His error for the 1st goal coupled with FERDINANDS slowness was textbook how not to defend.
CURBS could show that over and over again to them. The 2nd goal was poor as well. Where was NEIL?
The 3rd was a poor misplaced pass from BOWYER that led to the goal.
Thought UPSON did well in the air but he lacks on the ground.
ETHERINGTON, as he can be, was ineffective. MULLINS was off the pace. NOBLE, apart from his shot was fairly annonymous. ASHTON badly needs some pace up with him and we missed BELLAMY big time.
I know we shouldn't get to down hearted but ffs this was not a good Geordie side. After it went 1-1 we looked like the more likely team to win.
But as I said earlier stupid mistakes cost us. Thought we looked pretty ropey defensively last week against Boro but got away with it.
If we don't cut out the errors next week................ :thdn:
Know we could have gone have second today but lets get real and face it, mid table it will be :wink:
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

Unfortunately i didn't see us doing anything but lose this game.

If we was in Spurs position i would be pissed off, but we are 7th. So it could be alot worse.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

one fine morning.... wrote:we are seventh. ahead of Sp*rs.

we've lost two games this season.

both of those sides are the only teams outside of the top four above us.

ashton is back among the goals.

ljungberg, parker, bellamy and zamora are all to come in

in all probability we will be be in the last 16 of the league cup this week.

what a terrible time to be a West Ham fan.
What exactly did he do when he came on He's finished.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Just got back.
We defended poorly on all the goals but we didn't deserve to lose today. We had more periods of pressure than they did, and the number of chances was roughly equal. Support fantastic as usual...with some funny songs; "One Abbey National" :lol:
By no means a disaster and another goal for Deano will keep his confidence going up. He looks better with every match.

Ratings:
Green-6 Couldn't save any of their goals. Only made one or two saves or catches and mostly played little part in the match.
McCartney-6 Not quite what to make of his performance. Did ok and got forward well but was occasionally skinned.
Ferdinand-5 Again, a difficult performance to judge...did some good things but his defending for their 3rd goal was abysmal.
Upson-5 Won some headers but never really dominated Viduka and in many ways that cost us the game.
Neill-4 Very poor again. His performance was summed up for me when in the first half he managed to lose the ball, then brilliantly win it back before delaying the clearence and losing it again. Still plays some quality balls but has so far had a very poor season.
Etherington-6 Pretty good effort by Matty but he was never that involved in the game sadly.
Mullins-6 Didn't think he did much wrong. Ran the game ok in central midfield despite the occasional poor pass.
Noble-7 Good effort from Noble I thought though like Mullins he gave the ball away a few too many times. Would have scored but for a great save.
Bowyer-6 Decent enough again from Bowyer. Going forward in particular he was very useful. However, he went too far forward too often leaving Neill exposed time and again.
Ashton-7 Not quite enough for an 8 but another good performance from Deano. Held the ball up pretty well, linked up play nicely and took his goal well. Still not quite back to his best yet but he's getting there.
C.Cole-6 Couldn't choose between 5 and 6 for Cole but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Certainly for the first half hour of the game his influence was mostly positive. However, his touch is awful and he got worse as the game went on. If we're planning to achieve things this season Carlton shouldn't be a major part of our squad.

SUBS
Ljungberg-5 Didn't do much. His good runs were too often ignored so not really his fault.
Camara-6 Looked bright, should have started.
Spector-5 Why was he brought on? Baffled me that sub did....
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Just got back. Great weekend in all. Decent performance in patches but we got murdered down the flanks every time.

Fans were exceptional, funniest away game i've been to in a long time.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

8 Bloody hours to get home.

Excellent weekend apart from the football. Tales of minor prangs, elastic bands and a dead cat to relate.

Once I find the energy to write it all up.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Atters wrote:If Cole had the confidence to get the ball down at his feet and run at them, we may have had more joy. Instead I think he was too preoccupied with trying the clever flick on or 1-2 too often.
Agreed Atters ... the only way he'll get that back is with a bit of a run in the side (which he seems to be getting) and a little patience - and support - from our ... er ... supporters.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Just back to sunny Inverness :lol:
just like to say although a poor performance from us are fans were once again brilliant
Best Song Of The Day: One Abby National :D
Good Night folks
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

Green = :|

Neill = :thdn:
Ferdinand = :thup:
Upson = :thdn:
McCartney = :thup:

Bowyer = :|
Noble = :|
Mullins = :thdn:
Etherington = :thdn:

Ashton = :thup:
Cole = :thup:

SUBS:
Ljungberg = :thdn:
Camara = :thup:
Spector = :cry:
giblet

Post by giblet »

Well, I hope that either Ljungberg or Solano will start soon, so it'll no longer be necessary to play Bowyer on the wing.

That bloody right wing drives me mad! I can't remember when we had a run of more than two games without having a bloody big gap there. You could put a new ****ing stand on that wing. Well, it'd have to be on wheels, mind. It's a thought, though.
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

My opinion fwiw....

Lucas Neill was again very poor, totally at fault for the first goal and possibly the 3rd where Ferdinands slow retreat was only because Neill wasn't anywhere to be seen at right-back. Lucas Neill is clearly NOT the messiah! Ferdinand was definitely lazy at times, I'd have James Collins ahead of him every day of the week. Upson was dominant in the air but his defending for the second goal was 'schoolboy'. McCartney yet again played well I thought, especially when we get forward. Bowyer was ok, much rather have Dyer, Faubert (potentially) or a fit Ljunberg tho. Noble was also ok, occasionally v good, occasionally average. Mullins was, for me, exactly how I expect him to be more often than not. Ineffectual, lacking class, missing simple short passes. The sooner Parkers fit the better. Matty was ok but didn't have a lot of the ball. Carlton Cole was, frankly not great but did put himself about a lot, did great for the goal and linked well with Ashton. Ultimately, his lack of class shows at times although I couldn't fault his effort today. Ashton, I thought had a very good game. Took his goal great, clearly has a football brain and if he was a 'yard' sharper would probably have scored at least one more today. His holding and shielding of the ball and his lay-offs remind me of a young Sheringham. The subs didn't really get long enough to show much.

Truth is, we had a fairly depleted squad today, Bellamy was sorely missed. Probably the most disappointing thing was that Newcastle were pretty poor and we had more than enough posession to at least get a point. Considering we still have Parker, Faubert, Dyer, Bellamy, Zamorra and Solano to add, I think we'll do quite well away from home this season. However, the defence was very poor and the decision to play Ferdinand over Collins wasn't justified. Defend like that against Arsenal next week and we'll get mullered.
hammer_sandwich

Scrambled Egg wrote:Green = :|

SUBS:
Ljungberg = :thdn:
Camara = :thup:
Spector = :cry:
Agree with most of that except Ferdinands thumbs up. Should never have beaten to the ball for Vidukas first goal.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

hammer_sandwich wrote:
Agree with most of that except Ferdinands thumbs up. Should never have beaten to the ball for Vidukas first goal.
I think you're being very harsh there he was very tight on Viduka, it was a fantastic header from that position. The fault for the first goal rests mostly with Neil.
hammer_sandwich

bobcar wrote: I think you're being very harsh there he was very tight on Viduka, it was a fantastic header from that position. The fault for the first goal rests mostly with Neil.

I agree that Lucas Neill's inability to clear the ball (twice) was a major factor but when the cross came in, Ferdinand had half a yard on Viduka and personally I think that he was flat-footed, however well Viduka did to get there in front of him.
smfc

Post by smfc »

Surprised how hard people are being about Anton, personally I thought he was right on Viduka and that kind of attention is normally enough to see a striker struggle to get a header in on target mever mind bullet one in the perfect place. You could spend an afternoon hitting perfect crosses to Viduak with no one in the penalty box except him and I bet he would miss 60% or more to an open goal. No surprise the words "****ing flukey b*stard" were said by me when he scored that.

Neill on the other hand was a ****ing liability. I think Curbs should retire that captains armband, it clearly makes players complete pony. Maybe not even announce a reagular captain, make the ****ers play for it every game.

Mullins and Noble were poor, and I thought there was a genuine air of over confidence against a barcodes side that were genuinely stong in tackle and looked like they wanted to play a bit.

As for Carlton Cole, the guys got three solid assists in 2 games (about the same as Benayoun all last season), couldnt give a monkeys today if he knew Ashton was there or if it was luck - its the kind of luck that I'd like all our players to have every week. He's got some talent, he works hard and hes making the best of it so give the guy a break and lets remeber we arent fickle, glory hunting ****ers who boo our own players. We're West Ham for ****'s sake, and I for one would give 100% support to a ball boy in a West Ham shirt if he was playing in a competitive game for us.
fleetyfoot
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by fleetyfoot »

Scrambled Egg wrote:Green = :|

Looking at that starting squad it's a good thing we had the whole summer to make key signings who would work their way into the starting eleven and stay healthy.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

ferdinand shouldn't necessarily have beaten him to the header, he should have done what he did the next time viduka had a similar chance - be alive to what is going on and body check him to put him off

ferdinand learned his lesson in that example, but I fear he will have forgotten it again by the next time he plays and continue to be far too casual
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

It's all about quality - Fat Sam has increased the quality there with signings like Alan Smith we are a still playing Bowyer Mullins etc who have good games but are not quality Prem players.
We have got to be playing Craig, Parker, Freddie, LBM (Dyer/Faulbert) plus we are still short of a couple more really decent players who can frighten the oppo. Then we will be top ten.
SL

Post by SL »

I enjoyed my weekend away but certainly not the game. It was very frustrating to watch.

Sam Allardyce did a tactical job on us yesterday imo. Hes not stupid. Surely hes studied why we have been so good away from home this season and condeded 0 goals on the road until yesterday.

If he watched the Reading away game he would have seen a team sitting deep, inviting pressure and then punishing Reading on the break with quick, incisive passing and movement.

Yesterday we werent allowed to do that at all. Quite the opposite.

Despite being at home Newcastle sat deep, invited pressure and allowed us to have the ball. As we have seen at home this season, when teams do that to us we struggle to unlock them.

IMO yesterday was like watching a frustrating home match. Loads of posession, no creative ideas and everytime the opposition got into our box they seemed to score.

The defensive errors were awful. Neil shouldnt have tried running the ball out of defense like Pele for the first goal and Anton shouldnt have allowed someone like Viduka to get across the front of him so easily. As for the 2nd goal, was Bowyer running backwards?

We missed Bellamy big time imo. Carlton Cole is simply useless.

Fingers crossed we have a bit more creativity when Ljungberg & Parker are up to full speed.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Yeah he did a job on us. Ethers was man marked when they were attacking which cut off counter attack.