West Ham Utd 0 Arsenal 1 (29/09/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

F*cking hell. We've got an optimistic bunch here.

We played well and deserved at least a point did we?

Well, I can't actually remember Almunia making a noteworthy save whereas Green (quite clearly the best keeper about right now) pulled off three outstanding stops, in particular the finger tips from Van Rapist onto the post. As for playing well, we were ok, but far to much long ball and little cohesion. When we did play on the floor and short, we looked much better for it but it was all to little.

A lot around me are slagging Anton off and the trend seems to continue on here but he's an easy scapegoat. I'd be pointing far more fingers at Neil who has had a terrible start to the season and continued with that today. Whether he still aint fully fit or is in a comfort zone on his fat wage, I dunno, but he's been very poor. **** in possession, shouldn't be losing a header like that and gets mugged far to easily. Upson has not impressed me either. Far to flat footed and an appalling turn of pace.

We all love Noble. He's a good little player but put him up in comparison to Fabregas who is the same age. He was totally overawed today I thought. We missed the width and pace that Etherington gives us while Bowyer did his usual trick - being absolute pony. I thought Ashton did well - that flick in the first few minutes was different class. Shame he didn't do better with the header but it was one of those things.

The officials were shocking.

Overall I thought we paid em to much respect and didn't show enough belief and urgency. 5 minutes of injury time and we're playing triangles in our own half!
Harewood-3.16

Post by Harewood-3.16 »

ChzMff wrote:F*cking hell. We've got an optimistic bunch here.

We played well and deserved at least a point did we?

Well, I can't actually remember Almunia making a noteworthy save whereas Green (quite clearly the best keeper about right now) pulled off three outstanding stops, in particular the finger tips from Van Rapist onto the post. As for playing well, we were ok, but far to much long ball and little cohesion. When we did play on the floor and short, we looked much better for it but it was all to little.

A lot around me are slagging Anton off and the trend seems to continue on here but he's an easy scapegoat. I'd be pointing far more fingers at Neil who has had a terrible start to the season and continued with that today. Whether he still aint fully fit or is in a comfort zone on his fat wage, I dunno, but he's been very poor. sh*t in possession, shouldn't be losing a header like that and gets mugged far to easily. Upson has not impressed me either. Far to flat footed and an appalling turn of pace.

We all love Noble. He's a good little player but put him up in comparison to Fabregas who is the same age. He was totally overawed today I thought. We missed the width and pace that Etherington gives us while Bowyer did his usual trick - being absolute pony. I thought Ashton did well - that flick in the first few minutes was different class. Shame he didn't do better with the header but it was one of those things.

The officials were shocking.

Overall I thought we paid em to much respect and didn't show enough belief and urgency. 5 minutes of injury time and we're playing triangles in our own half!
You dont have to make saves when the ref calls every attacking thrust wrongfully offside mate. We didnt get a chance to shoot
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Enjoyed the second half today, probably the best we've played at home besides the start of the second half against Boro.

George McCartney was absolutely brilliant today. At the moment we've had a few injuries but because we have such depth we haven't suffered but if he got injured it would probably be the worst case scenario. He's been the most solid defender this season and his long balls to Ashton were the only decent ones he got a lot of the time.

I never thought I'd be saying this a few weeks ago but we missed having Matty in the side.

Bowyer was playing RB a lot of the time as Neill just went on walkabouts - he looked totally shagged out by the time he came off.

Nobody will admit it but we sure as hell missed Carlton Cole today. He's been winning so much of the ball and knocking on to Ashton whereas Camara couldn't do that today and consequently never got into the game.

Statistics don't lie and Carlton Cole has been on the field for less than a quarter of our Premiership season and yet he's set up just under half of the goals. The haters should really take note of that - we score more goals when Carlton is on the pitch and it is NOT just a coincidence.

Mullins and Gabbidon were fantastic when they came on. I am in the pro-Curbishley camp but Mullins didn't deserve to lose his place to Parker and it was a costly decision as Parker re-injuring himself and then Anton's injury meant we were two subs down minutes into the second half and both subs had to be defensive - which stopped us getting our number one assister Carlton Cole on the pitch.

And it made my day to actually hear some people other than myself calling for Carlton Cole to come on :) I was dreading the fact that some might boo him if he was put on.

MOTD coverage was very good and it was great that while they showed the replays of the Gooners goal all you could hear was a loud rendition of Bubbles. I kind of agree with the Green criticism in that he is an amazing shot stopper but sometimes I think he looks a bit suspect from crosses.

Hopefully Gabbidon and Mullins have earnt themselves places in the starting lineup next week and McCartney has now hopefully one over any of the doubters because I have always been a big fan and today he was fantastic.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this has been picked up on much today but there was some 'Curbishley's Claret and Blue Army' audible in the Bobby today.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

dons tin hat...

I thought Dean ashton was awful today, his off the pace by a million mile, wenger 'ashtons good i the air', i ve said it once, and ill say it again, his timing, especially in the air has been atrocious, he jumps for the ball 30 seconds before it comes above his head.

Dont get me wrong, this isnt an anti ashton rant, but the way the whole ground sings his name is like his our fuckin hero, all he served camara today was **** balls, leaving him to chase nothing, i think camara was great today, but it looks like none of the team has faith in passing to him, every green thro, kick was all towards an unfit ashton.

at one point it was like camara got the ball and was away to qucik, he had to hang around outside the box until the rest of the team got up.

Without Bellamy and ethers our team is fuckin slow.

As i said, this isnt an ashto out rant, im just sayin people are putting to much pressure on him and expect something evey time he gets the ball.

If people think hid the "answer tpo englands prayers" then it shows what a sorry state the english squad is in right now.

come christmas, im sure ashton will be firing on all cillinders, but i think he had a mare today
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

We might of got something out of the game today if we had got a bit luck.

After seeing it again on MOTD it's clear as day that Ljungberg is onside and the goal should of stood. It was just one of many mistakes the ref and lino (Doc Martens side) made. Wiley was shocking and was so blatantly biased.

I thought we played some great football in parts in the 2nd half. With a bit more luck we could of got at least a point out of the game today.

The injuries are getting are a joke at the moment. I honestly can't think of another Premier League club who have had the amount of injuries we've had in such a short space of time.

We missed Bellamy and Etherington today. Bellamy gives us so much upfront with his pace.

I thought Ashton had a great game, showed some great hold up play and some fantastic touches. He's looking sharper in every game he plays. Should of done better with one of the headers he had but came close with the header from the corner that was cleared off the line and the shot from distance.

Green was outstanding again. I really do fail to see how he's not in the England squad at the moment.

However my MOTM was George McCartney. I thought he had a fantastic game. He was up and down the line, he did his job very well and covered at the back when needed. He put in a absolutely brilliant performance.
hermolt

Post by hermolt »

The only bloke who looked likely to score had "a mare"? Give over.

It wasn't Ashton's best game for us by any means but I'm continually encouraged by his ability to be in the right place at the right time, and his deft one touch play is reminiscent of Teddy Sheringham. He's still not back to full fitness, and probably needs another month or two to really be there - and then we'll see him back to to top speed, which will help no end (and he really doesn't have the worst turn of pace, I seem to remember him being rather speedy for his goal at home to Everton two seasons ago).

I know that opinions are like arseholes, but I do wonder when someone thinks Camara played a better game than Ashton - and if your entire post was meant in jest, then I suppose I'll look a ****, won't I?
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

mate, all im sayin was camara had very little given to him today apart from lost balls, the pressure/hype around ashton, is fuckin terrible.

the ammount of times i heard the twat behind me say 'give it to deano' was madness, considerng abot 75 minutes in he looked fuckin knackered,

As i said good in the air? far from truth.

like i said, im all for ashton, but this ****ing over him is crazy, the overhype around him basically means people will say ashton was a different class today, when in truth he was far from it, i know his coming back from fitness etc, etc, but the pressure/expectation on him is retarded.

Edit, also at no point did i mention camara was better of the two, it just didnt look like the squad had much faith in him
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

You get what you pay for - Camara just doesn't seem to me to be a natural striker. He shows no anticipation and waits for the ball to be headed on. Bellamy being absent was the key. I'm sure Toure wouldn't have gone forward (making a 5th midfielder) as much had Bellamy been playing.

Some people on here need to get real. I think we played well and on another day and could have got at least a draw. The way Arsenal play they are going to get chances especially 1:0 up away from home.

Anyway onto Villa - sure we will give Nigel a nice hello, altogether now - "Are you Lampard in disguise?" :lol:
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

ChzMff wrote:A lot around me are slagging Anton off and the trend seems to continue on here but he's an easy scapegoat. I'd be pointing far more fingers at Neil who has had a terrible start to the season and continued with that today. Whether he still aint fully fit or is in a comfort zone on his fat wage, I dunno, but he's been very poor. sh*t in possession, shouldn't be losing a header like that and gets mugged far to easily. Upson has not impressed me either. Far to flat footed and an appalling turn of pace.
spot on
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Boogers Caravan Blues wrote:You get what you pay for
not in our case - we spent millions of pounds on injury prone past it unwanted by their clubs overrated f@ckers. for that kind of money we shloud have bought far better (younger, fitter & more talented) players. eggert & curbishley showed great incompetence in the transfer window. that's why eggert was pushed by bjorgolfur and at the end of the season curbishley will be out of job.
chalky

Post by chalky »

Roaring Repka wrote:
Hopefully Gabbidon and Mullins have earnt themselves places in the starting lineup next week and McCartney has now hopefully one over any of the doubters because I have always been a big fan and today he was fantastic.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this has been picked up on much today but there was some 'Curbishley's Claret and Blue Army' audible in the Bobby today.
Good report RR, basically echoing my thoughts. I have an additional point/question. Where was Collins? On current form I'd pick him over Anton anyday.
Hammersfan111

Post by Hammersfan111 »

Anton hasn't been that good this season, he deserves to be dropped on merit.
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

hammer wrote:not in our case - we spent millions of pounds on injury prone past it unwanted by their clubs overrated f@ckers. for that kind of money we shloud have bought far better (younger, fitter & more talented) players. eggert & curbishley showed great incompetence in the transfer window. that's why eggert was pushed by bjorgolfur and at the end of the season curbishley will be out of job.
Ah sort of my point - he is loan player not even wanted by Wigan
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

simonirons wrote:As i said good in the air? far from truth.
Mate, maybe I had blinkers on but didn't Deano pretty much bustle himself about to win practically everything in the air yesterday? Maybe I'm imagining things, but I thought it was pretty impressive considering Le Arse are full of 8 foot beasts, and an Arsenal mate was pretty pissed because he saw Ashton win 'quote' ****ing EVERYTHING in the air against the mighty Toure! :)
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Camara was terrible, because, well; he is.

We miss Bellamy big time. We lacked width too.

Could have been 6-0 if it wasn't for Green.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

did anyone have the misfortune to read the Sunday Mirrors report from the game yesterday - they didn't even mention the "offside" goal or the other borderline decisions the gooners got!

Also notice on MOTD how they never showed Flamini' numerous fouls or the certain yellow for Robin Van Persie on Ljunberg - ****ing typical!
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I thought we played alright, on a nother day we could have goit a draw but on a different day we could also have ended up losing 0-4..

As i've said time & time again, this year is gonna be our most stable for years, we won't be taking 12 points off of the big 4 like we did last year, what we will be doing is beating the Middlesborough's, Readings, Sunderland etc at home & getting victories away from home here & there too, enough to keep us up comfortably but not enough to get us into Europe..

No danger.. :wink:
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

UniS-Hammer wrote:agree he's not been playing well, and was pretty much responsible for today's goal what with his not bothering to tackle and all that...
Can't see how you can blame Anton for the goal? He held up Adebayour and forced him to wait for support (Hleb). Before blaming Anton, you might want to consider whoever was supposed to be tracking back with Hleb, but didn't, allowing him all the time in the world to get a cross in. Then you might want to look at where Upson was (marking empty space as far I could see), leaving Neill to pick up van Parsnip, Then you can wonder what Neill was doing allowing VP to get in front of him for the header.

Having said that, Anton has been generally poor this season.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Roaring Repka wrote:Enjoyed the second half today, probably the best we've played at home besides the start of the second half against Boro.

George McCartney was absolutely brilliant today. At the moment we've had a few injuries but because we have such depth we haven't suffered but if he got injured it would probably be the worst case scenario. He's been the most solid defender this season and his long balls to Ashton were the only decent ones he got a lot of the time.

I never thought I'd be saying this a few weeks ago but we missed having Matty in the side.
I thought Linda was the main reason we lost yesterday...how he didn't track Hleb on the overlap was shocking.

Also think Matty has been our best player so far this season

Opinions eh :lol:
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Romford wrote:Also think Matty has been our best player so far this season

Opinions eh :lol:
We definitely missed him yesterday, particularly first half. Noble and Parker just didn't seem to have clue who to pass it to. No outlets whatsoever, Generally ended up back with Green for a hoof upfield.

Interesting that with all the millions spent in the last 9 months it's the humble Etherington's, McCartney's, Mullins', and Green's who are rightly earning all the praise. Me MUST spend our money wisely.