West Ham Utd 3 Sunderland 1 (21/10/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Oh and I thought Linda was excellent today. We are desperate for a solid centre back though.
JoeySweets

Post by JoeySweets »

Dannyboylister wrote:Oh and I thought Linda was excellent today. We are desperate for a solid centre back though.
I think Upson has a little too much muscle on him, I think he needs to maybe lose some bulk, and lean up a bit.

Not saying he's far or even slow, or unathletic, Just if I was his personal trainer, I think that if he would lose some bulk muscle then he would become more nimble and athletic and a become a better player. He looked like a rugby player out there, with the shaggy beard.

Am I wrong??
Last edited by JoeySweets on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Linda = MOTM from where I was sat
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Apart from the awful 20 minutes after half time, I thought we done okay.

Jones was a handful in the air and showed Upson right up and we had to rely on Green for that wonder save but once we rode out the storm, we could have scored more.

Subbing Noble was the right thing to do, he was having a shocker in my book.

Linda was quality again and Neill did a lot better today.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Hammersfan111 wrote:
One game doesn't proove he's good ;)
Three efforts on target. More than Jones who some are ****ing about tonight. Put himself about. Won as many challenges that he lost. Showed some composure and deserved his goal.

One game don't prove a thing you're right.

Cole shows that, as an obvious back up player, he's as valuable as a fair number of better regarded strikers at other clubs.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

It wasn't Upson I was worried about today. It was his job to win the first ball and he couldn't do that because Jones had the better of him all day, as he will with other defenders all season. I though Gabbidon was awful, I really don't rate this fella for us or for Wales, he looks a liability every time I see him at centre back.
Dicksie's Right Boot

Post by Dicksie's Right Boot »

Some pretty stong stuff on here tonight. To be honest, some of it is pretty harsh. We won the sort of game we would have lost last year and that was with a pretty crippling injury list. We are heading in the right direction- the points on the board surely show that.
I am concerned about the Upson question but remain undecided. I thought Upson was outclassed for 25 minutes but then that was it. Pretty soon, Jones' threat was minimalised and we didn't look like losing the lead from 2-1.
I do prefer Collins though and I was a bit disappointed by Gabbidon's dithering today too. That worried me a bit.
Morrad

Post by Morrad »

We weren't too bad today. Kenwyne jones really was that good, was ****ting myself whenever it came to him, he is colossal in the air. For that reason I can't really criticize Upson for not winning it in the air too often. Good tactics by the manager, the only real downpoint being a poor performance from Noble.

And a special mention to the atmosphere: it was ****ing **** today, the worst so far this season, even worse than Plymouth as far as I can remember. I know the team aint playing phenomenal but there were gaps of about 30 minutes between chants of any description, with only maybe two stands tops joining in. What is going on here?
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

The 'You don't know what you're doing' came when Noble was being taken off. He was playing badly today and as it turned out it was the right sub. Solano was impressive as was LBM though after CFC's goal he was back to his lazy wandering and crap passing. Bellamy plays so much better with Deano (as would anyone) and we miss him a great deal, particularly holding up the ball. Today the ball came straight back at us. Parker back in midfield to add a bit of bite would help. Hayden and Noble were just outmuscled today.

Overall though glad to have won though and there we glimpses of some good stuff, and as has been said many times already- in seasons gone by we'd have thrown that away and lost. Only bad part of the game was the bloke behind me who did nothing but say f**k and c**t all game (well, when he wasn't going to and from the khazi.)
kosherhammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by kosherhammer »

Well, it wasn't the best of performances, probably the worst this season, but we got the points and that's what matters. Scoring 3 goals is also good to see. Happy for CC to get a goal, glad he celebrated his goal and not cup his ears or put his finger to his lips like some tossers do.

Green was fantastic as ever. Another world class save. Linda looked solid and combined well with both Ethers and LBM. Thought Mullins should have been taken off as he got a knock and his passing was poor, but well done Curbs on the subs. Nobby looks to be a good signing, he said after the match that he was disappointed to wait so long for his first game, hope Curbs can keep him happy as he brings some more balance to the side.

And on Sunderland's performance, don't forget that they came from 2 goals down against Arsenal to make it 2-2 and only lost 3-2, so they are going to be a handful for quite a few teams.

To the people on this forum I say just remember where we were last year, and our long run without a goal and all those defeats and remember that even though we aren't playing well, we have been winning games. OK it might be against the lower teams in the league but we did get the points. Also there are a lot of players to come back, so unless we get more injuries, things are going to improve.

COYI!!
Hammersfan111

Post by Hammersfan111 »

Just seen the highlights on MOTD - how did we win?
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Today was one of those days where for most of the game you were frustrated, hated supporting west ham, wanted Curbishley out, for a time it had the feeling of the Watford game at home last year, no matter what we was going to do we were going to lose.

In the first half, we had the better if the play and deserved to be 1-0 going in at the break, it was always important to score early as Sunderlands formation stated that they had come to play 'championship football' of sticking 11 men behind the ball and then hoping to grab goal, by scoring the first goal it meant that Sunderland had to come at us, which gave us more space.

In the second half, Sunderland gave us problems, mostly by putting another forward up front with Jones, who caused us problems all day and deserved his goal. Sunderland had many different chances and if it wasn't for an outstanding save from Green it could have been a lot different. Overall, it was one of those games where we had a bit of luck and managed to get the three points.
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

We were awful today. Very very clueless going forward, very one dimensional.

I was someone who questioned some of curbs signings this summer, I pointed out on several occasions that he needed to buy a creative player and he didn't.

Our midfield, frankly, isn't good enough. I am well aware of the injury problems, but Yossi is a big loss.

Also Carlton is abysmal, irrespective of his goal. And Boa too.

Thought Mullins was good today, and McCartney.

Green 8 englands no1
Neill 6 better, but still shaky
gabbidon 5 thought he was awful second half
upson 5 couldn't cope with jones. A master of the hospital ball
Linda 8 another brilliant game
Bowyer 6 ok, very limited in his ability in that position
Noble 5 poor today
mullins 7 solid
matty 6 didn't get involved enough
cole 4 poor
bellamy 7 full of running, crowd pleaser
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: 1. I don't readily think back to those two hideous games, but, our first quarter rules against the point that you make. We were reasonably comfortable then

2. Agreed. I thought that, when they hit the post, they'd go on to win.

3. We have 13 points. Our goal difference (plus 3) is better than Chelsea's and we're 6 points off The Thieves, who haven't lost a single match. We've played a game less than every team below us, bar Spuds. Some other teams (Fulham, Boro, Bolton, Reading and Derby) are markedly poorer than us. Its gonna be a Winter of inconsistency. We will not have gone in the bottom three once by January 1st. Want a fiver on it, W4?
your fiver is safe.

I just want a bit more fellah, thats all..

....we failed to mark, challenge or get near to that 6'5" blak fellah. all seconf half.....you know, the one they kept aiming the ball at..

no craft, no invention, **** passing, no ability to react to what was going on, no midfield, no width..performance wise- that was watford-like last year

everyone tells me I shud learn to take the win, - im not expecting to see ****ing Milan every week, just a team of pros' playing like pros' and not a ****ing aunt sally pub team on a bank holiday trip to southend!!
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

Well I thought we played better against Newcastle Utd and got nothing where as today we got three points.

I think we can all agree what score is better for West Ham can't we?

Cheer up chaps.
chalky

Post by chalky »

Dannyboylister wrote: We are 10th because we have taken 3 points from Birmingham, Reading, Boro and Sunderland with a point from Wigan, all of whom are just about shitter than we are. We are so reliant on Bellamy and without him we look very 1 dimensional up top. We are very lucky to have had the easiest start of any team.
So, take a positive from it. Why not? We have been almost decimated by injuries, the causes/reasons for that are another debate, but still managed to nick all three points, and Gents, what do points mean? To quote Mr Micawber, 'joy' or was it bliss?

If we can't win pretty, do it ugly, coz right now, we have so much talent unfit for one reason or another, we should consider ourselves fortunate that we are still tenth with games in hand.

I didn't either see the game or listen to it, but 3 - 1 is what the fat lady shrieked, so 3 - 1 it is.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Quite a bit of rubbish on this thread I see. Glad to see some people still have their head screwed on around here.

Anyway the performance was poor, Sunderland were the better team for the majorty of the game but we came away with a 3-1 win and the three points. The win was crucial after three defeats on the bounce.

We've got to take our injuries into account as well. We've got Dyer, Parker, Ljungberg, Collins, Ashton, Faubert and Zamora out injured at the moment and you could argue that the majorty (if not all) of them would be in the 16 man squad if not the starting 11.

Two moments changed the game in our favour. First off the world class save the Green made and the second moment would be the double substitution that Curbs made and got spot on. Boa Morte set-up the 2nd and 3rd goals and the quality of ball from Solano was first class.

Few moans with the main one beeing the amount of space we seemed to want to give Jones. Now don't get me wrong, Jones had a very good game but Upson seemed to stand off him a lot and give him the space to win loads of headers. We made him look better than he is and for a big man I can't remember Upson winning many headers at all. I think if Collins was fit he would of done a much better job against Jones today. Also the midfield looked quite poor today until Solano and Boa Morte came on with Noble in particular giving the ball away quite a lot.

However despite the poor performance we still won 3-1 and we came away with the points and thats the main thing.
Am I the only bloody one who's delighted that we won?
Don't worry mate, the majorty of us are delighted we won.
Post Horn Gallop wrote:Here I go again with my anti Curbs rant; the tosser only came good when he made the substitutions of LBM and Nobby, but why in the name of Christ take Noble off where in my opinion it should have been eithrer Bowyer or Mullins. I can see Noble getting pissed off with this and slapping in a transfer.This pratt of a manager knows sod all about man management let alone running a football team.
What a load of utter tosh!

Noble was very poor today.

You could make an argument for taking Mullins off but that does not change the fact that Noble was poor today and i'm sure he knows he was.

Curbs got the subs 100% spot on and he was proved right. How can you not give him credit for that? To me it seems you just want to have a pop for the sake of it.
Bellamy close to total anonymity.
Worked his nuts off upfront for the team and scored.

Can't ask for much more than that.
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

kosherhammer wrote:
COYI!!
This sounds too close to COYS for comfort! :D
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

mattcox10 wrote:We were awful today. Very very clueless going forward, very one dimensional.

I was someone who questioned some of curbs signings this summer, I pointed out on several occasions that he needed to buy a creative player and he didn't.

Our midfield, frankly, isn't good enough. I am well aware of the injury problems, but Yossi is a big loss.

Also Carlton is abysmal, irrespective of his goal. And Boa too.

Thought Mullins was good today, and McCartney.

Green 8 englands no1
Neill 6 better, but still shaky
gabbidon 5 thought he was awful second half
upson 5 couldn't cope with jones. A master of the hospital ball
Linda 8 another brilliant game
Bowyer 6 ok, very limited in his ability in that position
Noble 5 poor today
mullins 7 solid
matty 6 didn't get involved enough
cole 4 poor
bellamy 7 full of running, crowd pleaser
That's ****ing harsh..

I'm certainly not CC's biggest Fan but he was better than Bellamy yesterday without a doubt..

Thought Cole had a good 1st half although wasn't as good in the second, still better than Bellamy though, yesterday anyway.. :wink:
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Haven't trudged through to see if it's in here yet, but just incase:

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/west+ ... land_sport