West Ham Utd 3 Sunderland 1 (21/10/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Mullins was bloody awful yesterday - he gave the ball away so many times it was laughable.

We gave the ball away far too often, we gave them too much space, Jones should never have got the service he did, our centre backs caused me great concern yesterday both outdone for pace and height, Carlton Cole did well again, Bellamy seem to run his legs off, Etherington looked dangerous but didn't fancy his chances against their RB, Linda played out of his skin and Neill looked better than his has done.

Solano looked to have a few nice touches when he came on and LBM had a hand in the two goals (Although he still frustrates the granny out of me as he looks so disinterested and off the games) - lucky yes, 3 points to the total yes - so whats the issue? When ManUre/Chelscum play **** and win they're special - when we do it -we're just plain **** :?
grammarhammer

Post by grammarhammer »

A convincing result from a largely unconvincing performance. How I long for those heady days of last season - like when we went to Goodison, played Everton off the park in the first half, forced 13 corners before half-time (surely a record!), then lost 2-0 ... or when we were 2-0 up at Newcastle and came home with only a draw. Oh, those were the days!
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I'll not quote your entire post HHLH but I couldn't find any point there that I didn't agree with.
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:Mullins was bloody awful yesterday - he gave the ball away so many times it was laughable.

We gave the ball away far too often, we gave them too much space, Jones should never have got the service he did, our centre backs caused me great concern yesterday both outdone for pace and height, Carlton Cole did well again, Bellamy seem to run his legs off, Etherington looked dangerous but didn't fancy his chances against their RB, Linda played out of his skin and Neill looked better than his has done.

Solano looked to have a few nice touches when he came on and LBM had a hand in the two goals (Although he still frustrates the granny out of me as he looks so disinterested and off the games) - lucky yes, 3 points to the total yes - so whats the issue? When ManUre/Chelscum play sh*t and win they're special - when we do it -we're just plain sh*t :?
...spot on, in my view.
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by Oldun »

grammarhammer wrote:A convincing result from a largely unconvincing performance. How I long for those heady days of last season - like when we went to Goodison, played Everton off the park in the first half, forced 13 corners before half-time (surely a record!), then lost 2-0 ... or when we were 2-0 up at Newcastle and came home with only a draw. Oh, those were the days!
What about the day we battered Reading at home and lost to their only shot on target , i long for that again.
claret-hammer

Post by claret-hammer »

played bad yesterday sunderland deserved at least a point
but thats football.
another couple of wins and maybe few draws up til end dec and il be happy were gonna be much stronger second half of the season.
Andy

Post by Andy »

nobody's saying it was a good performance by any means. But picking up points in a game that we probably could and should have lost in the second half can only be a good thing. Sunderland were unlucky to lose 3-2 against Arsenal the other week after coming back from 2 nil. All the posts relating to how we played are true, but we got the points, against a difficult team, in a match we really needed to win to give us a lift with players coming back from injury. I was ****ing relieved when the 3rd goal went in to be honest to give us a bit of daylight.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

mattcox10 wrote: Also Carlton is abysmal, irrespective of his goal. And Boa too.

I'm not his biggest fan but he set up Bellamy and nearly scored himself - more than Etherington did all game!
:shock:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I wasn't there yesterday as I was called in to work, but from what I saw from the brief MOTD highlights, was some poor defending at times from us, especially at set plays, a little bit of flat footedness at times from Robert Green, who otherwise had another excellent game between the sticks for us, and some lightening quick counter attacks which set up our three goals. All in all, I'm a fairly satisfied happy bunny today.
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by Oldun »

I said this the other week after the Newcatle defeat ,we are an average side ,we will win some, lose some and draw some .I dont think we will move out of the middle part of the table all season and under Curbishley thats all we are going to get but after last season we will have to be happy with it.
I got to admit yesterday i was very pissed off during the game and didnt like what i saw but it goes in the record books as a win and i will take it.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Los Martillos wrote: ...spot on, in my view.
Apart from the fact that Mullins' cross-field ball to McCartney set up the first goal and that (allowing for one terrible moment when he was robbed by Kenwynne Jones - but then, who wasn't?) his passing was consistently accurate, yes, that is a fair assessment ...
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Sorry CB, but Mullins was caught in possession on countless occasions yesterday, and gave the ball away far more effectively than his passing ever was - regardless of the pass to McCartney. Althought I'm not a great fan of our no17 he has been effective for us this season and was disappointed at both our CM - all obviously IMHO
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

After reading some of the posts on here I have a question........
Did we lose 3-1 or did we WIN 3-1..........

:wink:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

For me Gabbidon was poor yesterday, looked lost at times, and caught out of position a lot.

Was happy with three points though
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

claret parrot wrote:I'll not quote your entire post HHLH but I couldn't find any point there that I didn't agree with.
Nice to know I don't talk to myself on here. :thup: :lol:
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote: Nice to know I don't talk to myself on here. :thup: :lol:
talk to myself on here.

talk to myself on here.

talk to myself on here.

:D
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

[quote="Los Martillos"][quote="Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus"]Mullins was bloody awful yesterday - he gave the ball away so many times it was laughable.

Although it was his beautiful cross field pass that set up the first goal...
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Was happy with three points though

Really? :lol:
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

coxy wrote: Hang on, you are saying why take Noble off, and yet the change in midfield without Noble gave us much more width and had the likes of Solano arriving in the box. We held on to the ball better when Noble went off so I can't understand the criticism of Curb's decision. If anything Curbs is doing the right thing with Noble, not overplaying him and bedding him into the premiership slowly. He's at the bottom end of what we all hope will be a long fruitful career but he is very much still learning the game.
Sorry Coxie maybe I didnt make myself clear. I,m saying he was forced into the substitutions but should have played Solano and LBM from the onset instead of Bowyer and Ethers with Noble as the provider.