LC4: Coventry 1 West Ham Utd 2 (30/10/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

carnage wrote: Who said anything about where the pass goes?

Thats his job btw. Win the ball, pass it backwards to defenders in more space.
Maybe, but I think that's being a bit harsh on Hayden

I'd say his job is to break up the oppositions build up play, win the ball and retain possession. The last bit especially, and that is something we haven't done well enough as a team

I mean, what do you want Mullins to do? Keep possession by playing short passes to the nearest player in space, or to try and pick out a defence splitting pass every time he gets the ball? As he sits deepest of our midfield, that's likely to be a 30-40 yard pass, and much more likely to concede possession

He gets picked for the former, so if he started doing the latter, I can't imagine his manager would be too happy! He can pick a pass, when play dictates, as he showed recently against Boro, but when he receives the ball looking for those passes is not his priority
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: Maybe, but I think that's being a bit harsh on Hayden

I'd say his job is to break up the oppositions build up play, win the ball and retain possession. The last bit especially, and that is something we haven't done well enough as a team

I mean, what do you want Mullins to do? Keep possession by playing short passes to the nearest player in space, or to try and pick out a defence splitting pass every time he gets the ball? As he sits deepest of our midfield, that's likely to be a 30-40 yard pass, and much more likely to concede possession

He gets picked for the former, so if he started doing the latter, I can't imagine his manager would be too happy! He can pick a pass, when play dictates, as he showed recently against Boro, but when he receives the ball looking for those passes is not his priority
Why quote me there, i agree with you. :lol:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

carnage wrote: Why quote me there, i agree with you. :lol:
And I agree with you! :thup:
If I was being picky I would say you've sold him a bit short, and maybe given fuel the fire of the opposition, by saying he always passes to defenders! :wink:

I was really quoting the whole arguement, or difference of opinion if you like. It seems to be a common theme when Mullins gets mentioned. ie he can't pass, or only passes backwards.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: And I agree with you! :thup:
If I was being picky I would say you've sold him a bit short, and maybe given fuel the fire of the opposition, by saying he always passes to defenders! :wink:

I was really quoting the whole arguement, or difference of opinion if you like. It seems to be a common theme when Mullins gets mentioned. ie he can't pass, or only passes backwards.
I know he doesnt "only pass backwards" but thats his remit UNLESS there is a safe option further upfield.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

carnage wrote: I know he doesnt "only pass backwards" but thats his remit UNLESS there is a safe option further upfield.
IMO he is way to casual, I dont rate his passing and just do not think he is good enough to be anything other than back up.
double pie'n'mash luv

Post by double pie'n'mash luv »

Whufc06 wrote: IMO he is way to casual, I dont rate his passing and just do not think he is good enough to be anything other than back up.

He sits on the ball like it's a big egg, for far too long. Maybe he's hoping it will hatch into a decent holding player :lol:
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Whufc06 wrote:Mullins

IMO he is way to casual, I dont rate his passing and just do not think he is good enough to be anything other than back up.
I absolutely hated Mullins going into this season. But he's won me over somewhat and for me he's been much better this year than at any other time that he's been at the club. I feel he's been one of our better players so far.

I wanted the man gone badly. But he's now playing a back up role for the club and from what I've seen this season - that's ok with me.

With everyone fit Mullins might even struggle to make the bench, which can only be a good thing. If you get what I mean.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Tel The Hammer wrote: I absolutely hated Mullins going into this season. But he's won me over somewhat and for me he's been much better this year than at any other time that he's been at the club. I feel he's been one of our better players so far.

I wanted the man gone badly. But he's now playing a back up role for the club and from what I've seen this season - that's ok with me.

With everyone fit Mullins might even struggle to make the bench, which can only be a good thing. If you get what I mean.
i would say i pretty much agree with that :thup: