West Ham Utd 1 Bolton 1 (04/11/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

hammerdivone wrote: I can agree with most Harvs but Neill :shock: If he was any other player he'd be slagged off terribly. He gives the ball away too cheaply at the moment and his maruading runs are great when there's cover, but often there isn't
I thought he played quite well to be honest HD1.

I've noticed that opinion is split on his performance yesterday. Some of us are saying he had a good game while some are saying that Neill had a bad game.

I personally think his performances have improved over the past few games. He was shocking at the start of the season.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

hornsey wrote: NO

we conceaded in the 93rd f*cking minute!!!
NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

We should have killed tghem when we had a chance and reverted to a 4-4-2 to get more direct but we invited them in thanks to Curbs shoddy tactics.
" i've finished looking for a goal come and have a go"

FUCKIN c*nt I'm LIVID!
Good enough with the team we have available imo
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

Thought Neill was great yesterday and has been for the last few games.
DrVenk
Has liked: 352 likes
Total likes: 464 likes

Post by DrVenk »

davids cross wrote:Thought Neill was great yesterday and has been for the last few games.
Until he got into the final third when his final ball was awful. He is not the type of full back to get to the by-line and whip crosses in, and without LBM or Solano making runs behind the fullback, we sorely lacked width on the right.
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

westlondonhammer wrote: Just providing an alternative way of looking at it mate, i dont know the ins and outs as much as the next person :wink:

Mullins was a doubt, but if he is declared fit... surely as he is match fit and fit from his injury, he should be fine to play 90 minutes... its only when a player is not match fit you need to be abit more careful! Anyway, as outsiders none of us know the severity of the injury or anything surrounding it with any real authority!

It all depends on the situation, but Spector didnt play bad midweek, and did have support in midfield in the form of Solano and Bowyer (limiting him to a simply defensive role)! So we had 3 central midfielders on the pitch and another player on the bench who could play it (recently proving it), which is more than enough if you get 1 injury... as i said, it is difficult to accomodate for 2 injures for each position!
But it is negative to think like that surely if Jack Collison is captain of reserve grade and Tony Stokes is like what 20 or 21 now ? It sends out the wrong message that even if we are knackered for central midfielder's we would rather play someone who is out of position. rather then pick a youngster who is a central midfielder. Surely one of them should of at least been on the bench.

Even if it isn't for Mullins, Bowyer rarely lasts 90 minutes and Solano is 33 years old. So if you play a youth playeron the bench at least they can be surrounded by expieriance. I just can't believe that we don't have a better young Midfielder then Jonathan Spector or John Paintsil.

The last 3 times we have thrown youth players in it has worked brilliantly. Noble last season,Ward play off season and Glen Johnson. They have all had a positive affect on the team.

Your only picking them for a few games i just feel the benefits of having a young player in and around the first team are huge compared to worrying about experiance we have so many exprerianced players now anyway.

Anyways in my eyes i would rather us take a risk on a young player then pick someone like Spector. I don't dislike Spector but he is a back up defender not a back up midfielder. Give a young kid a chance to make his mark in the team when everyone is out injured.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 917 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I didn't get to the game and listened on the radio - so whilst watching MoTD, I pissed myself on seeing the Bolton crowd - Nolan appeared to have a 'Oh no, where are they?' look on his face as he rushed towards them after the goal!! What was there, 100 of them, tops??
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

no one seems to talk about the fact that we invited pressure from the 20th minute and let bolton play their own game....in all honestly I thought we were lucky that we didn't concede until injury time.....why did we get camara if curbs doesn't want to play him...? i mean the arguments around 4-5-1 rather than 4-4-2 seem to verge from 'forced by injury' to trying to cancel out boltons midfield...why were we so worried about cancelling out a midfield that sits in one of the poorest sides in the league. If we're going to play this negative then get used to defending one-goal leads in the last ten/twenty minutes and gradually retreating to the six yard box - welcome to the premier league coconut shy - shall we play 6-4-0 against Man Utd to counter their midfield and strikeforce?.....last season we took the game to bolton, ok we were missing some players and tevez has gone this time round but we showed last season how crap they are when you move the ball around and I don't understand why we are happy to say the back up to the first team (and still green, upson, mccartney, neill, possibly gabbidon, etherington from the first team IMO) can get away with that - they still probably get £20k per week......if they're not good enough to string passes together against bolton then we should cut the wage bill....
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1042 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

anjado wrote:But it is negative to think like that surely if Jack Collison is captain of reserve grade and Tony Stokes is like what 20 or 21 now ? It sends out the wrong message that even if we are knackered for central midfielder's we would rather play someone who is out of position. rather then pick a youngster who is a central midfielder. Surely one of them should of at least been on the bench.

Even if it isn't for Mullins, Bowyer rarely lasts 90 minutes and Solano is 33 years old. So if you play a youth playeron the bench at least they can be surrounded by expieriance. I just can't believe that we don't have a better young Midfielder then Jonathan Spector or John Paintsil.

The last 3 times we have thrown youth players in it has worked brilliantly. Noble last season,Ward play off season and Glen Johnson. They have all had a positive affect on the team.

Your only picking them for a few games i just feel the benefits of having a young player in and around the first team are huge compared to worrying about experiance we have so many exprerianced players now anyway.

Anyways in my eyes i would rather us take a risk on a young player then pick someone like Spector. I don't dislike Spector but he is a back up defender not a back up midfielder. Give a young kid a chance to make his mark in the team when everyone is out injured.
Collison was in and around the first team... hence being in the squad! If they didnt rate him at all, why was he in the squad?

How does he perform in training?
What is his attitude like?
How has he been performing in the reserves?
I can answer these questions with any certainty, neither can many people outside of the club... all these factors have an impact on whether a player is selected or not... its not always just a punt

He is not being told he will never be in the first team, just that he is not ready yet...

Who would you have had him on the bench in place of... our only defensive back-ups? (because if we had lost 1 or 2 defenders we know curbs would have got stick for not having the backup there) another youngster who has been making more of an impression and impact on the reserves (reid)? our only striker?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Our captains "tackle" on Nolan when he scored was apparently something he learnt on a Blackpool dancefloor...to be honest i'd be embarressed to dance that badly :thdn:
westlondonhammer

Bolton who have qualified for the uefa cup a couple of times in the last 3 years... Are they really as crap as people are suggesting?

Low on confidence? Yes... Low on quality? God no

Their first choice experienced midfield vs our second (or worse) string midfield was always going to be difficult
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

the bolton of now is nowhere near big sams bolton that was getting into europe, i really think they are going down
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

westlondonhammer wrote: Collison was in and around the first team... hence being in the squad! If they didnt rate him at all, why was he in the squad?

How does he perform in training?
What is his attitude like?
How has he been performing in the reserves?
I can answer these questions with any certainty, neither can many people outside of the club... all these factors have an impact on whether a player is selected or not... its not always just a punt

He is not being told he will never be in the first team, just that he is not ready yet...

Who would you have had him on the bench in place of... our only defensive back-ups? (because if we had lost 1 or 2 defenders we know curbs would have got stick for not having the backup there) another youngster who has been making more of an impression and impact on the reserves (reid)? our only striker?
If he is captain he musn't be performing that badly. Our only defensive back ups where at home for f*** sake we don't need 2 defenders on the bench.

My Bench
Wright : Gk
Spector : RB,CB,LB
Collison : CM
Reid : LM
Camara : RM/CF

There you go.
westlondonhammer

Ben wrote:the bolton of now is nowhere near big sams bolton that was getting into europe, i really think they are going down
virtually the same players... same shape... hell, they even played typical fat sam tactics! I am not saying they are necessarily as good, just not as bad as people are suggesting

Come the end of the season I dont feel they will be anywhere near relegation tbh... other clubs (boro, derby, reading, brum, fulham, wigan) will be further down there imo
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I think it was a much better performance than against Sunderland and Coventry and overall the players picked didnt do too bad.

My complaint is yet again against Curbs and his boring 1-0 football..... Its so weird as its only on here I see people wanting him at the club all the season ticket holders around me seem to agree that he is not good enough.

Some on here say he is doing a good job with all the injuries which to a degree I agree with.... but his tactics/subs during our games is what I think is the problem as they are so negative. Starting a home game with 1 up front is a joke and there was the players to play 4-4-2 so it wasnt down to injuries... they fact LBM lasted the whole game when he was so bad ill never know.

We should have killed this game off easy but kept going more and more defensive as the game went on and it was obvious they would score at some point.

Think it was a disgrace Curbs coming out slamming the team after what I think was our best performance in 3 games when the main reason we drew was his negative tactics trying to hold on to a 1-0 win at home.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

westlondonhammer wrote: virtually the same players... same shape... hell, they even played typical fat sam tactics! I am not saying they are necessarily as good, just not as bad as people are suggesting
Completey agree with you. And we were lucky enough to play them without Anelka. Can easily see Megson getting them out of trouble by early April sort of time.