West Ham Utd 1 Tottenham 1 (25/11/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Admitedly Noble was lightweight in the middle of the park, but when Parker came on it shored things up. We caused them as much trouble, if not more, as they did us. Look at the numbers of chances. If Robinson hadn't chosen yesterday to have a half decent game we would have won by a canter. Spuds were despicable too, always bitching and moaning, chasing the ref and how Chimbonda stayed on is beyond me?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Up the Junction wrote: Two wins out of seven at home is shocking form, to be frank.
If you look at your glass half full its 2 defeats in 7 at home though.
I agree we should have 1 or 2 more wins out of that lot but given the circumstances i am not too disappointed.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:What part ??? :lol:

T'is a game of opinions Gentlemen, we should remember that at times... :wink:
Probably the "men against boys" b*llocks part :wink:
I am law

Post by I am law »

Divide it up into 4 parts

Keepers
Both made mistakes (Robinson spilled a shot in a very similar way to his game in Russia), but both also made some very good saves.

Defence
Our's was better, but it was also more occupied. Of the two teams, though, this is where they've had fitness and form issues and we have been fairly solid.

McCartney was my MOTM, but all 4 deserved a pat on the back

Midfield
They were clearly better in this department, especially through the centre. It wasn't boys against men stuff, but Jenas and Zokora both played to their strengths and obviously have the experience that Noble lacks. On occasions, it did seem as if they were cutting through us at will. I don't think Lennon coped at all well against Linda.

Attack
This for me is where the ref was most irritating. Cole was being constantly pulled up for what seemed to me to be perfectly reasonable challenges. Our flow was badly affected by that, but not extinguished. Cole put in a decent shift regardless. LBM showed flashes and we could have nicked it with Dean's late effort (credit to Robinson in fact for the save).

It's worth repeating that we could have won this game, with our "4th choice" striker playing the full 90 with support from either LBM or Ashton.

Spurs clearly have a very experienced and capable set of strikers. Barbietoff has a repertoire that few can match. I don't however think that our defence was scared of them.

It was an even match from where I was sitting. We weren't shown up and we're bringing back players from injuries at a time when we will start to face the more stern challenges.

Oh yes and thank you Mr Green - your save at the end made a journey home without trains and many tubes that much more bearable. :thup:
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Dannyboylister wrote:I hate the booing of England players, it's f*cking stupid. Robinson didn't even play midweek and we boo him, if Deano had played would we have been booing him?
Actually, I think it is actually a positive thing. I'm not generally in favour of booing players - does f*** all good booing your own players, and often gees up the opponent being booed (eg, one P Ince).

However, in this particular case, I think it is appropriate to give a wake up call to the idle arrogant ****wits who have repeatedly let England down, who are normally so confident in their own superiority, in their belief that they 'deserve' respect - it's entirely right that the public do their own equivalent of Bilic's "wake up, guys".

FFS, having beaten us twice, Michael Own is still saying that none of the Croats would get into the England team - really? Not ahead of the stellar talents of Lescott & Bridge, not ahead of the the lacklustre, can't give a ****, lack of effort of Gerrard and Lampard, or the total inability to play a final ball of Cole & Wright-Phillips? Wake up, guys!

Faced with that lack of effort, and pride, and with that level of arrogance, I think a chorus of boos from the public is a very positive sign that the public aren't willing to accept pitiful, gutless, clueless performances like that.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Back to the match:

Green - pretty obvious in this match and last why he's not England goalkeeper - his decision making under crosses is definitely suspect. If he can fix that, the rest of his game is extremely strong. Tremendous penalty save / horrendous mistake for their goal.

Neil - caught out badly a couple of times, and was naive in giving away the penalty - didn't need to be tangling with Defoe, just keeping goal side of him. Looked short of pace against Bale.

Upson / Gabs - pretty good games

McCartney - there's too many threats coming from that side - I'm not sure if it's Linda or a lack of protection from Etherington

Nobby - excellent ball for the goal, pretty anonymous otherwise

Noble - didn't look remotely fit

Mullins - usual unspectacular job

Etherington - totally anonymous & ineffective. Gave the ball away virtually every time he got it.

Cole - well taken goal, tremendous effort throughout. Unlucky to kept getting stopped by really petty refereeing - particularly one just insude the spuds box, where he had a foul given against him for being kicked and knocked over.

Boa Morte - really worked hard, and great vision/skill for the ball to Nobby for the goal.

Parker - Worked hard, one decentish shot

Deano - good to see him back, but 1000 miles away from being fit

The penalty that wasn't: I think the reason that Green got away with it was that he lept for the ball as Keane was going across him, so effectively away from Keane. Having seen it about 20 times, I'm still not sure whether his foot catches Keane's standing leg, or whether Keane just skips. In any case, he was offside. And it wasn't given, I don't care, tough **** Spuds :)

Riley was his usual terrible self - loads of free kicks for nothing, yet no sanction for deliberate handball which should be a mandatory booking.

All in all, given our very weak midfield and limited firepower up front, we're doing OK to keep putting points on the board, even though this felt like 2 points dropped. Starting to pull away from the bottom 9 - opened up a 6 point gap.

We'll need to play a hell of lot better against Blackburn and Chelski to get anything from those.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

:thup: I can agree with what you have said there.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Probably the "men against boys" b*llocks part :wink:
But it was though bith in the first & secong halves in spells..

They were easily cutting through the heart of us, right down the ****ing middle on numerous occasions..

If you get a chance to watch the game again, you'll see... :wink:
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Thought Parker played well and Ashton looked sharp.

Noble another poor game he needs some reserve time alsio thought Gabbidon needs dropping
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Marky wrote:Thought Parker played well and Ashton looked sharp.

Noble another poor game he needs some reserve time alsio thought Gabbidon needs dropping
What makes you say that mate ? I think he's come right back to form.
Bobby Orangeboom

davids cross wrote: What makes you say that mate ? I think he's come right back to form.
I thought he had a shocker too if i'm honest..

Just seemed to lump it all the time without thinking ...

I haven't the same faith in him as i did have in his first season, there's just something about him that looks to me like a mistake waiting to happen..
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: I thought he had a shocker too if i'm honest..

Just seemed to lump it all the time without thinking ...

I haven't the same faith in him as i did have in his first season, there's just something about him that looks to me like a mistake waiting to happen..
He's always lumped the ball though Bob, thats not his game. His game is to mop up everything at the back using his speed. Him and Upson are a better combination than Ferd/Upson.......I won't comment on Ginge :lol:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: But it was though bith in the first & secong halves in spells..

They were easily cutting through the heart of us, right down the ****ing middle on numerous occasions..

fully agree with that, was happy to see them change their formation as Zokora was causing all sorts of problems for us imo. His pace and strength was too much for us whilst he was in midfield. I thought until they changed formation, he was the best player on the pitch although Cole ran him close yesterday.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: But it was though bith in the first & secong halves in spells..

Ah! i forgot Bobby, you only saw it on telly. Watching it live gave a very different picture :wink:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Gabbidon and Upson both had very solid games yesterday, especially given the fact that Noble was atrocious and Mullins never offered his usual defensive cover in large parts.

Think as a pairing, they are continually getting better and Chelsea will be a very tough day for both.
Bobby Orangeboom

hammerdivone wrote: Ah! i forgot Bobby, you only saw it on telly. Watching it live gave a very different picture :wink:
Yes Sir, because i live 8,000 miles away, i did ONLY watch it on TV...

Which means, obviously, i had a much better view than you !! :wink:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Yes Sir, because i live 8,000 miles away, i did ONLY watch it on TV...

Which means, obviously, i had a much better view than you !! :wink:
Better? :think:

Were the girls round (naked) watching it with you? :lol:
Hammer&Wings

Post by Hammer&Wings »

on glory glory,they've got a whole thread dedicated to Englands no1,Mr Robert Green,with some chap called neilbob holding the Hammers corner
FEH

Post by FEH »

Is there a thread that I can get hold of a torrent for this match or videos for downloading? Thanks in advance!
bobo

Post by bobo »

hammerdivone wrote:Admitedly Noble was lightweight in the middle of the park, but when Parker came on it shored things up. We caused them as much trouble, if not more, as they did us. Look at the numbers of chances. If Robinson hadn't chosen yesterday to have a half decent game we would have won by a canter. Spuds were despicable too, always bitching and moaning, chasing the ref and how Chimbonda stayed on is beyond me?
:thup: :thup: