West Ham Utd 1 Tottenham 1 (25/11/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WHamZam

Post by WHamZam »

[quote="Luke (THFC)

I thought there was a real contrast between the two sides style of play on Sunday with West Ham playing mainly a long ball game and conceeding free kicks early on in any T*tenham attacks to stop our passing game.

quote]

Difference was that when we were playing our one touch football we cut through your team like butter, while you had to lump it into our box to look dangerous :wink:

About your incident on the way home, I`m sorry to hear that. Ridiculous behaviour. :evil:
myladswill

Post by myladswill »

Luke (THFC) wrote: Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the journey home after the game nearly as much as I did the match itself. I took my two sons (5 year olds) to the game and as 5 year olds always want to do they wore their Sp*rs shirts. Apparently though this makes it OK for West Ham fans to spit on me and - far worse - them, and not only that but for one (as part of a small group of course) to attempt to stick a right hook on me.... Although - as is the case with most of those sort of types - he wasn't quite so brave when lying flat on his back - and suprise, suprise neither were the little group that he was with....... If that person happens to be a member of this board then all I can say is that I hope it was a broken nose you sustained.
That's terrible, but I don't think I would have taken two 5 years olds to watch a game at Upton Park, if I was the from the away team.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

myladswill wrote: That's terrible, but I don't think I would have taken two 5 years olds to watch a game at Upton Park, if I was the from the away team.
I partly agree with where you are coming from, but that's the whole issue really, there shouldn't be a risk involved in the first place.
WHamZam

Post by WHamZam »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: I partly agree with where you are coming from, but that's the whole issue really, there shouldn't be a risk involved in the first place.
Especially when you`re with 5 year olds.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

That's terrible, but I don't think I would have taken two 5 years olds to watch a game at Upton Park, if I was the from the away team.
Really? What a sorry state of affairs that people would have that much malice to a pair of 5 year olds. I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
I'm sure that even ESM wouldn't stoop that low and his hatred for you lot is pathalogical.
Re: ESM - I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear that as well as the newly located training ground, Spurs are also opening a retail outlet in Enfield in a couple of week's time :wink:
myladswill

Post by myladswill »

WHamZam wrote:Especially when you`re with 5 year olds.
And i agree with both of you, but it's a bit naive to think that in 2007 there won't be one guy out of 30,000 moronic enough to act like this. I've seen a bloke lay someone out in front of his screaming kids at Butlins, I'm disgusted at what happened to Luke, but sadly not surprised and personally wouldn't have taken the risk.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Luke (THFC) wrote: Really? What a sorry state of affairs that people would have that much malice to a pair of 5 year olds. I think some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.
I can see both sides.

On the one hand, you shouldn't have to worry about taking your kids to the football. They probably love going and you probably love taking them. Why shouldn't you?

On the other, the fact these c**** attacked you proves they exist and maybe it's not the cleverest thing to do to take your kids knowing they exist.

That said, I think the best thing to do is just carry on regardless. Can't let scum like that get in the way of you doing what you want to do. Hopefully they'll get another kicking if they ever do it again and realise the error of their ways, or at least get hsopitalised to the point where they're too scared to try it again.
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Luke (THFC) wrote:Hi all. Not been around much this season as I've been working over in India. Means that (luckily) I've managed to miss most of the shennanighans at Sp*rs this season, I did manage to get myself back for the game on Sunday though.

Don't know about you lot but I actually thought it was a really good game in terms of going from end to end and having a lot of incident and excitement.

Due to being in India that was my first look in the flesh at Ramos' Sp*rs and he has definitely changed the way that we play. We look to be playing more one touch stuff and also breaking and attacking much more quickly as opposed to the slower more purposeful build up under Jol.

I thought there was a real contrast between the two sides style of play on Sunday with West Ham playing mainly a long ball game and conceeding free kicks early on in any T*tenham attacks to stop our passing game.

Those that are saying that Riley ruined the flow of the game by blowing for so many free kicks.... I would argue that that is exactly what Curbishley wanted. The flow of the game was such that it was like we were the home team and when in posession Sp*rs looked quicker than West Ham and were passing it around them. Therefore I thought this tactic was a smart move by Curbishley as it allowed you to regroup defensively. Getting it forward long and early also put pressure on our (shaky) defence and ensured that our midfield couldn't push forward too far as they also had to get back to help deal with the scraps.

For you lot I thought Upson and Carlton Cole were the stand out players by far, Upson looks to be back where he was when he was getting into the England squad. I've never really understood what it is people rate about Lucas Neill though - all he seems to do is concede fouls. Mullins was the pick of your midfield I thought and he seemed to carry out Curbishley's gameplan to the letter. Noble though looks as though he really needs a rest as it's clear he isn't playing nearly as well as he was late last season. Ashton seemed to me to look rather heavy, I know he's a big built guy but he looks as fatter than Mido did before he was bombed out at T*tenham. Is it down to him being out injured for a while or do you think he has a problem with his diet/training?

For us I thought that some of Berbatov's touches were an absolute joy to watch. It doesn't seem to matter if he is on his own or surrounded by three players he is still able to control and use the ball exactly as he wants, in the end the West Ham players resorted to fouling him as quickly as possible.... Unfortunately for us though I fear Dimitar will be at Man Utd next Summer (if not in January). For us I thought that Zokora and especially Jenas were very good today, running the show in the centre of midfield

A draw was probably about fair I guess. I can point to the missed pen (and also the two others that weren't given - if it had been the other way round I'm sure you lot would all be screaming that they were definite pens) whereas you lot can point to a couple of very good saves from Robinson (who I thought looked to be getting back to the same keeper he was a couple of years ago when he played with confidence and looked to command his area more) along with the late clearance off the line too.

Going into the second half of the season I'd say that you lot simply need your best midfield players back from injury (Dyer and Ljundberg) and probably also a better central defensive partner for Upson. Whereas we either need Ledley King back or an able replacement for him (and with Ledley's injury record the past couple of years we cannot rely on him getting and staying fit so it has to be the latter).

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the journey home after the game nearly as much as I did the match itself. I took my two sons (5 year olds) to the game and as 5 year olds always want to do they wore their Sp*rs shirts. Apparently though this makes it OK for West Ham fans to spit on me and - far worse - them, and not only that but for one (as part of a small group of course) to attempt to stick a right hook on me.... Although - as is the case with most of those sort of types - he wasn't quite so brave when lying flat on his back - and suprise, suprise neither were the little group that he was with....... If that person happens to be a member of this board then all I can say is that I hope it was a broken nose you sustained.
Jackanory Jackanory.
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

I'd say we played like we have played some of our better away games this season and the stats seem to back that up with less possession but more shots on and off target, Riley was ridiculous though and in my eyes completely ruined the game – the amount of free kicks awarded to Tottenham certainly didn't reflect a tactictal decision by AC in my opinion