LCQF: West Ham Utd 1 Everton 2 (12/12/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

my problem with him is those tactics away are great and I was well chuffed with the Chelsea and Blackburn games but we have enough quality to not play that way at home let the other team have the possession, not leave one up for corners, not going for a second goal, and defensive substitutions…
It's great if your'e Charlton
jon253

Post by jon253 »

Thought Ashton was a donkey, blame Green for not coming out to clear for their goal. Parker was very good most of the time, Ljungberg was not spotted when he was open or we didnt get the pass to him.
Disappointed with result, but life goes on and the league is more important anyway.
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

i was gutted that we we lost when leaving the ground last night. but looking back on the game now, i will put it down to a bad day at the office. for 30 minutes we played some good football and were the better team, after that we deserved nothing. 2nd half we had little idea how to break them down and they punished us for a rank bit of defending. 1st bad game in a while so i can forgive that. one more thing what is it with some people over there, i had some plum and his 2 kids sitting behind me booing players names i.e freddie lbm as they were called out, whats all that about. f*** off and support tottenham.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Everton are a good side unbeaten in 11 and have no injury problems.... we gave it a fair bash but we really lack creativity.

Look at the bench if we had gone into extra time.... Everton would have won, Johnson want even used. Baring in mind our injuries extra time would have been the worse thing to happen as most of our first team will need to play on sat where as everton could have changed it around.

Once we get some of our creativity back whether thats Dyer, Faubert and Bellamy or/and some new signings in Jan we too will have a very strong squad, until then we have to make do.

Only one critisism of last night would be that a youth striker was not given a place on the bench. They might not be 100% ready for first team but I think they would have been better than none or playing people out of position.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

MD_HM wrote:Everton are a good side unbeaten in 11 and have no injury problems.... we gave it a fair bash but we really lack creativity.

Look at the bench if we had gone into extra time.... Everton would have won, Johnson want even used. Baring in mind our injuries extra time would have been the worse thing to happen as most of our first team will need to play on sat where as everton could have changed it around.

Once we get some of our creativity back whether thats Dyer, Faubert and Bellamy or/and some new signings in Jan we too will have a very strong squad, until then we have to make do.

Only one critisism of last night would be that a youth striker was not given a place on the bench. They might not be 100% ready for first team but I think they would have been better than none or playing people out of position.
im with you mate...why dont we at least try and put our youth into game like this-- the formation he ended up with, and that we'd have had to play extra time with, was wrong wrong wrong
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

I thought we were the better team for most of the match, problem is we really lack someone who can unlock defences, hopefully a more mobile Ashton would help.
Andy

Post by Andy »

thought overall we got what we deserved really.
Some decent play at times in the first half, culminating in the goal, then we sat back and invited Everton on and on until they scored.
Second half was pretty dull, interrupted only by some of the most one sided and appalling decisions made by a referee ever. Their goal came from a goal kick which was a blatant corner to us, waved by the lino and totally ignored by the ref.

thought Deano looked slow and ineffectual- no understanding between him and Coley at all. Ljunberg was crap - he has no pace whatsoever. Reid should have been on from the start. No striker on the bench meant that when Cole went off we were left with Ashton with no pace and Ljunberg with er.. no pace up front together.

Was just glad it didnt go to extra time and pens as i was ****ing freezing.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

It was always going to take a great performance to beat this Everton side, unbeaten in 10, 8 wins in that lot, only 3 goals conceded. We had 2 semi-fit players, one on the wing, one up front, and he took Cole off to save him for the weekend IMO, otherwise he would of taken Ashton off.....
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: Agreed. Though I think it would be ironic if after playing Wright at Rovers and Coventry, he gets dropped for Green, and he makes a Tottenhamesque clanger which sends us out...
Well, well, well...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

miles wrote:Get over it people. This is the kind of tin-pot trophy the Totts cream themselves over winning. That said, Everton were excellent on the night and are a very very good team. No shame losing to a side like that. We WILL f*cking beat them on Saturday though, the absolute c*nts.

p.s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't EVERY appearance Freddie Freeloading F. Ljungberg has made this this season (starting or off the bench) ended in defeat for us? The man is an absolute f*cking jinx and a sh*t footballer to boot. Free transfer in Jan please, Droops.
I can't work people like you out :?

We were two games away from a Wembley cup final....something we might actually win.

We will never win the league.

For the people that go up and down the country, the league cup is hugely important and great days out for the travelling fan. Over the years i've had far too little cream and this would have been right up there.

To see us go out like this in my eyes is shocking :thdn:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Romford wrote: I can't work people like you out :?

We were two games away from a Wembley cup final....something we might actually win.

We will never win the league.

For the people that go up and down the country, the league cup is hugely important and great days out for the travelling fan. Over the years i've had far too little cream and this would have been right up there.

To see us go out like this in my eyes is shocking :thdn:
spot on romford. A win last night, home and away versus the spuds for the semi, then chelsea in the final- what's not to like?!
HollzTheHammer

Post by HollzTheHammer »

it was my first game last night, even though we lost i thought it was amazing, i'd do it all again on saturday if i could (although fulham is my next game)

green- should have come to get the ball earlier for their 2nd goal, didn't have much to do, for their 1st goal i don't think he saw much there were a few bodies in the way. 5

mccartney- gets foward well, another solid game. 6

upson-could of closed down better in the build up for their first goal. 6

gabbidon-" " minus the mix up for their 2nd goal, fantastic in the air. 7

neill- good pass for our goal, but he goes foward and looses the ball way too much and he could have easily gave a pen away within the first five minutes aswell. 5

boa morte- first half i thouht he combined well with cole and ashton didn't really see him do much in the second but kept on running. 6
parker- very composed on the ball made some good tackles, he's gonna be a big player for us now he's back. 7

mullins- gave the ball away on a few occasions but chased everyone down. 6

freddie- can't run past his man and needs to sharpen up a bit, but he did chase down balls :wink: and put in some tackles (first half anyway) his set pieces though were piss poor. 5

ashton- first half he showed some good touches and awarness, second half it looked like his feet were made of concrete, couldn't time his jumps at all, needs to play a few more games to be able to play 90 mins. 5

cole- what can i say, he ran and ran, chased down everything, looked commited, showed that with his goal. 7

curbs- 5, subs were strange although i think cole was injured, should of put on noble for mullins when it was 1-1.

support- 10, i was in the CL calling cahill a p**** was funny

overall i thought everton were poor, but they were better at being poor than us, they showed that bit more attacking quality/creativity that we lack.
1st half an hour we had then in our pockets, we just needed to keep that up. im confident we can win on saturday.

anyway down to the big news....outside before the game i walked past non-other than....the football genius, the man is god!!!!
millsywhu

Post by millsywhu »

But we dont need to start criticising again now. get behind them on saturday and lets move further up the league and further away from Spuds! we need to build a better atmosphere at home and not be so critical at home aswell! and people say 'i wonder why we play better away from home', easy answer, fans get behind the team.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

HollzTheHammer wrote:it was my first game last night, even though we lost i thought it was amazing, i'd do it all again on saturday if i could (although fulham is my next game)

green- should have come to get the ball earlier for their 2nd goal, didn't have much to do, for their 1st goal i don't think he saw much there were a few bodies in the way. 5

mccartney- gets foward well, another solid game. 6

upson-could of closed down better in the build up for their first goal. 6

gabbidon-" " minus the mix up for their 2nd goal, fantastic in the air. 7

neill- good pass for our goal, but he goes foward and looses the ball way too much and he could have easily gave a pen away within the first five minutes aswell. 5

boa morte- first half i thouht he combined well with cole and ashton didn't really see him do much in the second but kept on running. 6
parker- very composed on the ball made some good tackles, he's gonna be a big player for us now he's back. 7

mullins- gave the ball away on a few occasions but chased everyone down. 6

freddie- can't run past his man and needs to sharpen up a bit, but he did chase down balls :wink: and put in some tackles (first half anyway) his set pieces though were piss poor. 5

ashton- first half he showed some good touches and awarness, second half it looked like his feet were made of concrete, couldn't time his jumps at all, needs to play a few more games to be able to play 90 mins. 5

cole- what can i say, he ran and ran, chased down everything, looked commited, showed that with his goal. 7

curbs- 5, subs were strange although i think cole was injured, should of put on noble for mullins when it was 1-1.

support- 10, i was in the CL calling cahill a p**** was funny

overall i thought everton were poor, but they were better at being poor than us, they showed that bit more attacking quality/creativity that we lack.
1st half an hour we had then in our pockets, we just needed to keep that up. im confident we can win on saturday.

anyway down to the big news....outside before the game i walked past non-other than....the football genius, the man is god!!!!
Glad you enjoyed it...and it gets much better :thup:
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

millsywhu wrote:But we dont need to start criticising again now. get behind them on saturday and lets move further up the league and further away from Spuds! we need to build a better atmosphere at home and not be so critical at home aswell! and people say 'i wonder why we play better away from home', easy answer, fans get behind the team.
No. It's because our style of football suits away matches.

I would take losing last night for a win on Saturday. Got to look to finishing in the UEFA cup places, espeically with our awesome defence and players to come back from injury.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

w4hammer wrote: spot on romford. A win last night, home and away versus the spuds for the semi, then chelsea in the final- what's not to like?!
What i couldn't work out was all the STs not going...around me i knew hardly anyone. I know the timing is hard on the pocket at Xmas but you can bet everyone would want a ticket for the away semi if we got through and everyone would be moaning about the final allocation.

Yes the league is important but we are going to end mid-table...people will turn round in 3 months time and ask "what if" about this loss
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

roblo wrote: No. It's because our style of football suits away matches.

I would take losing last night for a win on Saturday. Got to look to finishing in the UEFA cup places, espeically with our awesome defence and players to come back from injury.
We wont be getting a UEFA spot this season...
D&G

Post by D&G »

I missed the game last night but reading the posts it would appear that we need a goal scorer or a midfielder that can unlock defences.

I think next season Curbs is going to be under some serious pressure from BG and the new director of football.

BG expectations:-

Last season - survive (check)

This season - mid table (check)

next season - Qualify for UEFA cup

future - ?

We have to understand he is financing a new stadium and new players and with that comes expectations. Can you see him putting up with mid table every season when he is pumping millions into the club?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

D&G wrote:I missed the game last night but reading the posts it would appear that we need a goal scorer or a midfielder that can unlock defences.

I think next season Curbs is going to be under some serious pressure from BG and the new director of football.

BG expectations:-

Last season - survive (check)

This season - mid table (check)

next season - Qualify for UEFA cup

future - ?
Take over the world.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Arch Dandy wrote:I thought we were the better team for most of the match, problem is we really lack someone who can unlock defences, hopefully a more mobile Ashton would help.
We looked second best imo. We did lack a creative player, and I still think that Deano needs to lose weight asap. I hope we can stuff them on Saturday, but they have so much quality that I just can't see it.