Wigan 1 West Ham Utd 0 (02/02/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Re: Wigan v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by bluebutterfly »

Messiah wrote: Who cares you win some you lose some lets get on with it. At the end of the day we are still top half of the table.

Which was my point as well.

Hey England are winning against Wales though
robertpatterson

Post by robertpatterson »

Demo wrote:
I'll take this opportunity to remind you that we avoided relegation by somehow wining at Man Utd on the last day of the season only 8 months ago. Now you want a Champions League place? Do you not think that you are setting your expectations a little bit high?

A top half finish (and we are currently 10th, 7 points ahead of 11th with a game in hand) will represent true progress this season. I'd hate to think what the reaction would be of people on here if we got into the Champions League. They'd expect us to win it ffs. Some people would be moaning that we couldn't win away at Barcelona or Real. Some of you lot need to wake up. If you think you can buy the Premier League or a Champions League place by spending £40m then you have no understanding of the league this club of ours plays in.

West Ham have ALWAYS been a team that will get a good result against top teams and throw all the good work away against lower opposition. You'd think that you would be used to it by now. How about giving the team, the manager and the whole club a chance to progress at a rate that is sustainable rather than going up and down like a f*cking yoyo.

I used to read on in disbelief when I read some of the posts on this forum, now I just laugh.
Well said. Yes, I'd like CL football (who wouldn't), but given last seasons dross, anything more than 10th is a bonus for me. Yes, make that an aim, but the aim this season was to CONSOLIDATE which we have done admirably. Please also remember, One game doesn't make a season.

I know i'd rather be sitting pretty in 10th place, 7 points ahead of the dross from ***** Hart Lane than fighting another relegation battle.

Engage brain before fingers i think...... :?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Just got back

Very disappointing. We didn't play terribly but looked very weak up front. My main worry is Cole/Ashton. Today they both came deep for everything. On the frequent occasions one of them won a header the other was stood next to him leaving Wigan the easy job of picking up the ball. The defence looked as solid as ever.

It's just the West Ham way, we seem to set our standards based on the opposition, A performance on par with Wednesday would have destroyed this Wigan team, but it didn't happen.
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

I honestly think this was our worst performance since the opening day of the season. I think alot of the frustration with today's result was that they clearly wanted it more and if we are serious about challenging for a UEFA Cup place ie the players i mean they have to show far far more commitment then that.

Really we were very lucky not to lose 3-0 Marcus Bent missed and absolute sitter and Valencia hit both posts before the ball bounced out to Green.

My Ratings

Robert Green (6) : Made a couple of decent saves, But flapped at a cross in the first half could do nothing about the goal his distribution was better then Kirkland's though it was difficult for both with the poor state of the pitch.

Lucas Neill (5) : Some of his distribution was poor and seemed to spend more time arguing with the referee then playing the game.

Anton Ferdinand (7) : I thought Anton and Upson were both solid today since Heskey and King always give defences trouble it seems made a mistake towards the end of the game playing Bent onside should of cost us a goal but had a pretty reasonable game i thought.

Matthew Upson (6) : Upson played quite well also didn't do much wrong and dealt quite well with the danger gave away a couple of silly fouls though. Also had one of our only chances of the game heading over from a corner.

George McCartney (6) : I thought he defended pretty reasonably made a couple of silly errors and would like to see him take on players when going forward.

Freddie Ljungberg (6) : Was probably the best of our midfield today, Which really isn't saying all that much had a shot on target. Though he should of done better with the goal it was his job to mark Kilbane and lost him for the header.

Mark Noble (5) : Probably the worst i have seen Mark play for us today seemed to dwell on the ball too much and him and Mullins were completely overrun in midfield. Also his work rate didn't seem to be at it's usual high standards.

Hayden Mullins (5) : Same as Noble really was overrun in midfield gave the ball away alot and was pretty anonymous.

Matty Etherington (6) : By far our most effective player before he got injured then was completely anonymous.

Carlton Cole (6) : Worked hard, Though it was probably the least affective he has been for a while had a wild shot over the bar in the second half.

Dean Ashton (4) : I am not someone who usually critisizes Ashton and i am usually dissapointed when people on here do, But he was awful today he had no touch and was so so slow he is looking like Hartson just before we sold him. I was hoping he would turn it around but today he was awful really he offered nothing at all today the only time you noticed him was when he was caught offside. Really he was very very poor and it was a very dissapointing performance from Ashton and i like him as a player but today he was awful really.He needs to rappidly gain confidence or mobility really something is clearly up with his game.

Subs

Nobby Solano (4) : Also probably Solano's worse game for us but has just come back from injury and to be honest didn't really look fit. He misplaced a few passes and crosses which is unlike him. But im sure this is just down to not playing for a month.

Craig Bellamy (6) : Looked pretty sharp i thought though i think he should of done better with the chance he had. but he will be a huge asset once he is fully fit and everyone knows that.

Lee Bowyer (5) : Did his best latter day Moncs impersonation by not doing much other then being booked.

Curbs (5) : Probably should of stuck with 4-5-1 or gone to that system sometime during the game 4-4-2 wasn't working . Though i also believe it was more the players underperforming today though we really should of got something from this game if we performed anywhere near our best.
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

Certainly this result was annoying taking into consideration the renewed hope we all had after the Scousers visit.

Thing is though, as we are all too well aware of, this is our West Ham and this is what they do.

If you had told me this week we would have won 3 out of 6 points and then asked me who I wanted to beat, I would forever and a day have chose the bindippers. Wigan dont even register on the radar, they are that insignificant, hatred wise. Yes despite Wh*lan.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Demo wrote: I'll take this opportunity to remind you that we avoided relegation by somehow wining at Man Utd on the last day of the season only 8 months ago. Now you want a Champions League place? Do you not think that you are setting your expectations a little bit high?

A top half finish (and we are currently 10th, 7 points ahead of 11th with a game in hand) will represent true progress this season. I'd hate to think what the reaction would be of people on here if we got into the Champions League. They'd expect us to win it ffs. Some people would be moaning that we couldn't win away at Barcelona or Real. Some of you lot need to wake up. If you think you can buy the Premier League or a Champions League place by spending £40m then you have no understanding of the league this club of ours plays in.

West Ham have ALWAYS been a team that will get a good result against top teams and throw all the good work away against lower opposition. You'd think that you would be used to it by now. How about giving the team, the manager and the whole club a chance to progress at a rate that is sustainable rather than going up and down like a f*cking yoyo.

I used to read on in disbelief when I read some of the posts on this forum, now I just laugh.
And the year before that we were top half and in hte cup final. Last year we underperformed massivly, for a range of reasons, so actually mid table is really no improvement on whre we were two years ago.
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

I think today was an off-day for football in general.

We were really bad but can't let it affect us.

Saying that, the pitch was dreadful and the officials were *****.

All in all let's get this behind us and make the most of the next two fixtures.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Memorial Ground wrote:All in all let's get this behind us and make the most of the next two fixtures.
We will only be able to get this behind us and make the most of the next two fixtures if Curbishley does not persist with making a selection mistake he identified on Wednesday in the 81st minute, and then promptly made again today.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

well i for one am not happy that we lost today.
against those c****. at their place.

If we are going to push for europe (which we should) then f*** however scrappy we should not lose at Wigan.

did we do 451?
if we did then whats the ecuse?
442 i could understand, just, no f*** it im annoyed.
typical west ham.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

hornsey wrote:well i for one am not happy that we lost today.
against those c*nts. at their place.

If we are going to push for europe (which we should) then f*ck however scrappy we should not lose at Wigan.

did we do 451?
if we did then whats the ecuse?
442 i could understand, just, no f*ck it im annoyed.
typical west ham.
That sums it up, We wouldn't be West Ham if we had turned them over 3-0
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

nah, calm down.

Bellamy on for Ashton, Nobby on the right and we'll be mustard against a lot of teams.

We're still very hard to score against.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

smuts wrote: And how many goals did the lone striker either score or create? None.

You can't rely on defenders and midfielders earning and scoring penalties all the time.
How many chances or shots on goal did we have today?
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

exactly why the 451 aint always effective.
remeber the hard work but if there are no goals....then it comes to jack ****.

it's true of late we rely on set pieces and altohough set pieces have been a week spot for years...we seem to be deprived of any creativity.

it's scrappy yes lets face it was gonna be at wigan, but compare it to the last game we had up there, with alot of the same players on the pitch and wigan in a similar position and it has been altered drastically.
RM9

Post by RM9 »

Pop Robson wrote:How many chances or shots on goal did we have today?
According to the OS, 4 off and 1 on target :think:
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Most people have wanted to see a 4-4-2 formation against weaker teams, but we haven't really had too much option with injuries, so 4-5-1 has suited our situation better & given results, if not overly exciting.
Now Curbs has more choice, with players returning, he went for 4-4-2, it didn't work, but if we'd played 4-5-1 & won 1-0 people would've moaned that it was boring!!
No win situation, pitch was crap, they outplayed us in all areas, move on.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Just got back. That is one of the worst football pitches i have seen at this level and it nullified any kind of passing that either team attempted. Keepers were slicing kicks all day long and players were spooning shots.

Enough of that, I want to talk about ashton. I'm one of his fans but that today was a disgrace. I'm willing to give him 5 or 6 games playing alongside bellamy to see if that has any kind of effect on his game but he was simply awful today. He played like a 40 year old man, even warming up he looks really stiff. He is a good player but it's like playing with a man down at times.

I thought anton was awesome today. He is so quick but he's started winning headers now. I was calling to sell him but he's like a new player. Good to see bellamy back, he changed the game and it really showed how much we have missed some pace, we suddenly had a decent option. I thought cole was unlucky to get subbed today he really put some effort in today and showed ashton up.

Just a quick note, boa morte travelled but didn't even make the bench, anyone know why?
RM9

Post by RM9 »

I find it amusing that posters and Curbs are blaming the pitch. Firstly, it's the same for both teams, deal with it. Secondly, if you can't pass or trap a ball at this level, no matter what the pitch is like, then you don't deserve to earn 20k+ a week.

If the pitch is poor, then adapt. Go a bit more direct, if the pitch is like a bowling green then play the quick passing short game, it's not ****ing rocket science. Headbanger
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I know this might come as a shock to some of you but West Ham United FC are and have always been a mid -table club.I said in another post i have watched us for 47 seasons of which 39 have been in the top flight and in that time we have been top half in only 13 of those seasons.
I wish it was differant but its not but i have never just gone to watch football for success because if i had i would have stopped going after about 2 seasons, i go for the love of my club which gives me joy like on Wednesday and heartache today.
Get over people or walk away now.
RM9

Post by RM9 »

OLDUN wrote:I know this might come as a shock to some of you but West Ham United FC are and have always been a mid -table club.I said in another post i have watched us for 47 seasons of which 39 have been in the top flight and in that time we have been top half in only 13 of those seasons.
I wish it was differant but its not but i have never just gone to watch football for success because if i had i would have stopped going after about 2 seasons, i go for the love of my club which gives me joy like on Wednesday and heartache today.
Get over people or walk away now.
I agree with you completely Oldun, but this is "The New Beginning". The old West Ham would of beaten Liverpool and then go on to lose to Wigan. But the new West Ham has changed, it's a club with a 5 year plan of year on year CL football, new 60k stadium, increase of prices to help subsidise this new era. Actually, f*** all has changed, except the price increases. :D

Same ****, different season :raver:
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

RM9 wrote:I find it amusing that posters and Curbs are blaming the pitch. Firstly, it's the same for both teams, deal with it. Secondly, if you can't pass or trap a ball at this level, no matter what the pitch is like, then you don't deserve to earn 20k+ a week.

If the pitch is poor, then adapt. Go a bit more direct, if the pitch is like a bowling green then play the quick passing short game, it's not f*cking rocket science. Headbanger
Same for both teams? There was me thinking that Wigan played on that pitch every other week.

The long ball suits there game. They have big slow defenders happy to lap up our directness all day long.