Wigan 1 West Ham Utd 0 (02/02/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Memorial Ground

Re: Wigan v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Memorial Ground »

our main downfall was that we tried to play, got caught in posession because of the pitch, and they capitalised on it. If they'd have tried to play we'd have spanked 'em.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

RM9 wrote: I agree with you completely Oldun, but this is "The New Beginning". The old West Ham would of beaten Liverpool and then go on to lose to Wigan. But the new West Ham has changed, it's a club with a 5 year plan of year on year CL football, new 60k stadium, increase of prices to help subsidise this new era. Actually, f*ck all has changed, except the price increases. :D

Same sh*t, different season :raver:

Dont get me wrong ,i want it to happen as well but i not going to lose any sleep over it if it dosnt.
I like the big ideas from our new owners but which ever way it goes does not affect my support and all i am saying is if it does you are at the wrong club.
If you want a good guide to everyhing West Ham read Tony Macs book The Managers.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Rainham Hammer

Post by Rainham Hammer »

It was a poor performance and a disappointing result. But I fully expect us to bounce back and get the 3 points against Birmingham on saturday.
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

Wigan

**** Pitch
**** ground
**** club
**** of a chairman
Twat of a manager

We were dragged down to their level. 6 points from the next two games and it will be onwards and upwards!

I'm so happy...I'm not suicidal at ALL. :?
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

at least Tevez scored again againt Spurs! :lol:

3 in 3 well done Carlitos.....rip that dream away from them! :lol: :lol:
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Hugh Jargon wrote:Wigan

sh*t Pitch
sh*t ground
sh*t club
c*nt of a chairman
Twat of a manager

We were dragged down to their level. 6 points from the next two games and it will be onwards and upwards!

I'm so happy...I'm not suicidal at ALL. :?
Have you been drinking again. :D
bobo

Post by bobo »

wolf359 wrote:Just got back

Very disappointing. We didn't play terribly but looked very weak up front. My main worry is Cole/Ashton. Today they both came deep for everything. On the frequent occasions one of them won a header the other was stood next to him leaving Wigan the easy job of picking up the ball. The defence looked as solid as ever.

It's just the West Ham way, we seem to set our standards based on the opposition, A performance on par with Wednesday would have destroyed this Wigan team, but it didn't happen.
:thup:

Yeah both play too central, the thing is they are both big target men & when they are playing together they both play the same, Ashton started to drift out wide but we don't want him doing that do we.

When Bellamy come on he started running the channels & trying to get behind people, I think we needed to stay with the 4-5-1 for this game with maybe starting with Ashton to show that we can rotate.

But hey what do we know. :lol:
RM9

Post by RM9 »

jacko wrote: Same for both teams? There was me thinking that Wigan played on that pitch every other week.

The long ball suits there game. They have big slow defenders happy to lap up our directness all day long.
Hmmm, Everton didn't seem to struggle, infact it was the pitch (and a **** defender) that led to AJ scoring. Chelsea (x2), Everton, Villa, Pompey, City (draw) and Bin dippers have all taken points from the JJB this term. If we don't win and have a bad day at the office, then so be it. **** happens.

But don't start blaming the ****ing pitch because we couldn't get the ball down. :wink:
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

RM9 wrote: Hmmm, Everton didn't seem to struggle, infact it was the pitch (and a sh*t defender) that led to AJ scoring. Chelsea (x2), Everton, Villa, Pompey, City (draw) and Bin dippers have all taken points from the JJB this term. If we don't win and have a bad day at the office, then so be it. sh*t happens.

But don't start blaming the f*cking pitch because we couldn't get the ball down. :wink:
True, but the pitch is getting steadily worse!
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

No worrries. We are safe. Wigan arent
Denali
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Denali »

May Wigan and Whelan swim in the fizzy. I can't wait for that town up north to be known for just rugby again. Yes, I hold our play today in its rational place, as our ranking in the table. I just wish it wasn't Wigan.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Just got back. Yes it was a very poor performance but its not suprising when our style of play is hampered so badly by the state of the pitch. Ok we should have adapted better to the conditions but that rectangle of grass was not fit for a premier league game, end of story. There should be a minimum standard set for top level games and if it means not sharing your ground with a rugby team in order to keep the playing surface up to scratch then maybe thats a rule that should be considered.
irniron

Post by irniron »

Ashton is a fat, useless, lazy ****
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

irniron wrote:Ashton is a fat, useless, lazy c*nt
2 incidents of note.....

Carlton Cole lost the ball in the Wigan half and chased the player back 30 yeards before winning it back with a good solid tackle to prevent a Wigan attack.

20 minutes later Ashton lost the ball in a similar position yet slowly strolled back to the centre circle without seemingly a care in the world as Wigan broke forward again.

Frustrating to say the least.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

robertpatterson wrote: Well said. Yes, I'd like CL football (who wouldn't), but given last seasons dross, anything more than 10th is a bonus for me. Yes, make that an aim, but the aim this season was to CONSOLIDATE which we have done admirably. Please also remember, One game doesn't make a season.

I know i'd rather be sitting pretty in 10th place, 7 points ahead of the dross from ***** Hart Lane than fighting another relegation battle.

Engage brain before fingers i think...... :?
I think that's a little unreasonable to expect that from a fair few posters on here... :wink:
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Ashton will be gone in the summer no doubt. Newcastle will pay over the odds and he will play less for them than he has us.

He is a crock unfortunately.
IronsEnthusiast

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

Not seen any of the match so cannot comment on what worked and what didn't let's just think about things before we get all suicidal. It sounds to me like we were beaten by the better team on the day. As a team in mid-table this will happen to us several times a season, just as we will outplay many sides a season and win. We are better than Wigan but not so much better that we should see a game against them as a comfortable three pointer. Apparently they looked hungrier for the win than us. I'm not surprised. For weeks they will have been targetting us as a team they can beat on home soil with a pitch that is not well suited to us. They are trying to stay in the league, a far greater prize than the one we are looking towards. The Premiership is a strong league and any team can beat any other. That's life. We're getting to the business end of the season now and teams in dire need of points will start targetting us because we are not so good that they can consider a draw against us as a fantastic result.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

irniron wrote:Ashton is a fat, useless, lazy c*nt
Reading between the lines, my instinct tells me that you are trying to tell us something, but holding back, please tell! :lol:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

i just think we need to play 442 when bellamys back fully and give him and deano a go.

this footballs all hard and work and everyhing but theres no sparks. :(