Wigan 1 West Ham Utd 0 (02/02/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Re: Wigan v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by V-M »

On a side note did anyone see what happened when it kicked off as we were leaving the ground? We had made our way up the road so I couldnt see quite what happened but it sounded as though something was kicking off.

Maybe handbags but I did see the old bill on horses starting to wade in.....
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Back from the game and the pitch is not to blame for the loss.

Yes it is terrible and the FA should really warn them about the state of it but we lost because Wigan had something we had when we played there some 9/10 months ago. The will to win.

They harrased us and made us commit mistakes or pass it back to Green all day long. We never settled at times and got frustrated which allowed Wigan to dominate us at times. Wigan had the hunger (sorry if I sound like a Curbs soundbite) to win and we simply did not. A bad day in the office we have to learn from and correct when we play Birmingham
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Het-Field wrote:No worrries. We are safe. Wigan arent
Still doesn't soften the blow that we were beaten and outplayed by Steve Bruce's Wigan - Curbs made a ricket today and Ashton needs to get himself in shape ..

I want to beat Wigan and send 'em dahhhnnn with Derby and Brum
Abramlatic

Post by Abramlatic »

About time we got one over you cheats......

Nice to see Englands number 4 waving the ball into the net

Oh and one last point...why are you mugs paying Lucash £70,000+ a week? He's ****ing *****, I'm sure if Curbishley wants a defender to kick lumps out of everyone on the pitch he could get one of you lot to do it for a lot less money.

See you next season and just remember "you're only here cos you cheated"
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Abramlatic wrote:About time we got one over you cheats......

Oh and one last point...why are you mugs paying Lucash £70,000+ a week? He's ****ing *****, I'm sure if Curbishley wants a defender to kick lumps out of everyone on the pitch he could get one of you lot to do it for a lot less money.

You have Marcus Bent and Heskey upfront, Bruce as manager and Bramble at the back.

Do one.

And cheating >>>>>>>>>> playing Colchester away.

Though we clearly didn't cheat :thup:
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

West Ham Matt wrote:You have Marcus Bent and Heskey upfront, Bruce as manager and Bramble at the back.

Do one.
:lol: Why didn't you just ignore him .... that would of been the best retort!
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

Ah ha...and your only surviving because your pitch resembles a cow field. Enjoy your roasted rat in your hovel tomorrow....hope you choke on it.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

:lol:
I can't do much more than laugh at that post
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

You know as soon as someone says the word 'cheat' that their knowledge of the situation comes from Whelan and McCabe.
Abramlatic

Post by Abramlatic »

Well apart from the bit about Lucash's wages, its all true isnt it (and I bet I'm not far off the mark with 70K a week.

"You know as soon as someone says the word 'cheat' that their knowledge of the situation comes from Whe*an and McCabe"

So you were fined £5.5m for not cheating then???
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Heysel76 wrote:Most people have wanted to see a 4-4-2 formation against weaker teams, but we haven't really had too much option with injuries, so 4-5-1 has suited our situation better & given results, if not overly exciting.
Now Curbs has more choice, with players returning, he went for 4-4-2, it didn't work, but if we'd played 4-5-1 & won 1-0 people would've moaned that it was boring!!
No win situation, pitch was crap, they outplayed us in all areas, move on.
Great if you dont care aabout qualifying for europe - but we need to stop being "typical west ham" and learn to win htese matches. 4-5-1 was the only sensible tactic with only Ashton and Cole fit.
Supersoulfighter
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Supersoulfighter »

Wait, Wigan have a real fan? :shock:
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt

Post by bluebutterfly »

Abramlatic wrote:Well apart from the bit about Lucash's wages, its all true isnt it (and I bet I'm not far off the mark with 70K a week.

"You know as soon as someone says the word 'cheat' that their knowledge of the situation comes from Whe*an and McCabe"

So you were fined £5.5m for not cheating then???

Thats history move on.
As for seeing you next season the only way that will happen is if we play you in a cup competition
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

OLDUN wrote:I know this might come as a shock to some of you but West Ham United FC are and have always been a mid -table club.I said in another post i have watched us for 47 seasons of which 39 have been in the top flight and in that time we have been top half in only 13 of those seasons.
I wish it was differant but its not but i have never just gone to watch football for success because if i had i would have stopped going after about 2 seasons, i go for the love of my club which gives me joy like on Wednesday and heartache today.
Get over people or walk away now.
It si that complacency that allows the poor results to be tolerated. Curbs played 4-4-2 to accomodate Ashton, when he should have focussed onthe result and stuck with 4-5-1. If he doesnt get stick over that (and support if through failing to include Ashton he hands in a transfer request) then what is the incentive to do something different next time.
Lost Hammer
Conehead the bar alien

Post by Lost Hammer »

Can't see the problem with cheating to be honest.

If it keeps us rolling in the money and the league and it pisses off a few northerners, we should do it more often.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt

Post by bluebutterfly »

Lost Hammer wrote:Can't see the problem with cheating to be honest.

If it keeps us rolling in the money and the league and it pisses off a few northerners, we should do it more often.
All teams cheat in some way

And it looks like it has pissed a northerner off so job done :thup:
:lol:
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Sometimes you have to acknowledge the better side won, this isn't one of them. Wigan were awful, unfortunately they had more passion than us today and as such probably deserved to win. Still doesn't mean they weren't the worst side i've seen this season, just that for once they fought a little
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

So you are the twat with the drum :lol:

See you next year? In the cup maybe, its your best chance before you go in at round one the year after.
giblet

Post by giblet »

Defeat!

We will not have the satisfying feeling of knowing that we played a part in their relegation!

We completely forget to score a goal!

Hmm...our memory is not improving...

Bring forth...The Witch!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

It was just a bad day in my opinion. We were way too predictable and continually looked long instead of playing it out from defence. The few times we did play it, we had no idea what to do. Playing long balls into Bellamy is not going to work, he is a dwarf!

I think alot of people went into this game expecting an easy win against a poor wigan side. They are certainly a poor side but it was never going to be easy. They are scrapping for points and the pitch probably suits them. The ball was bobbling everywhere.
t