It can't be......can it?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

West Ham United to re-sign Yossi Benayoun?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Yes please
50%
No thanks
50%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 4

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: It can't be......can it?

Post by bubbles1966 »

davids cross wrote:Regardless of the pros and cons of Benayoun I just don't see it happening at all.
Agent is quoted on Sky as saying no contact from anyone, giving the impression Benayoun does not want to move.

Meanwhile, Malbranque - a better player IMO - is on the verge of joining Sunderland
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Arch Dandy wrote: See I don't remember him creating that much. He wriggled around, could play a nice ball, wasn't afraid of a tackle but he wasn't setting the world alight carving creating goal scoring chances and hardly every pulled the trigger when he had the chance.
He put himself about well in his first season but I don't remember him as this creative force as some seem to, his second season he didn't want to know... I'd put him about level with Ljunberg, both have some nice touches but don't really offer any serious penetration.
To say he didn't want to know in his 2nd season is unfair in my eyes...if he was like that why were we unhappy about Liverpool coming in and him going for such a low amount ??
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

In the first half his second season, nobody wanted to know. Pardew had turned the place upside down. Yossi was dropped. It's difficult to put in 90 minutes of effort from the bench. + To me, a player who was defying Pardew was not a player necessarily doing the wrong thing. Second half the season his contribution was great. During the run in he pulled his weight like nobody's business, and to those who say he never tried, you are allowing your prejudice to blind you to the fact that he would run and tackle like the clappers. Didn't always come off; sometimes he'd bounce off the player; but he would go in for it.

Take him away from the right (Berko said Yossi was wasted and played out of position for his entire time at West Ham) and surround him with more intelligent movers, and I think you'd see something more like the Yossi we saw in the cup final, when he played more centrally, and had people like Deano to link up with.
sid76

Post by sid76 »

Got nothing against the bloke, thought he was a good player when he turned up, he ran at players and created.
And as for the goal he scored against those f*cking lilly whites, well that deserves credit in my opinion.

Not to sure if i'd have him back though.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ironball wrote: Take him away from the right (Berko said Yossi was wasted and played out of position for his entire time at West Ham) and surround him with more intelligent movers, and I think you'd see something more like the Yossi we saw in the cup final, when he played more centrally, and had people like Deano to link up with.
Most of the time he was playing with Sheringham, Ashton or Tevez up front........hardly a set of unskilful dimwits.

Zamora was pretty reasonable - in fact, the only front player with an absolutely abysmal touch who played regularly whilst Benayoun was here was Harewood.

Fact is, most of our threat in the first season up came from our left wing - Konchesky and Etherington - not Benayoun. It was the way we played with aggression and pace that got us through rather than any sublime technique from him. Our attacking threat on the right only briefly improved with the arrival of Scaloni (wont mention his defending)

There were undeniably classy moments, and his best position is probably similar to Berkovic......but as someone said earlier, he really is a poor mans Berkovic and usually flattered to deceive. Always useful against Fulham though.

Even in the Cup Final - Yossi's finest moment? - how many of the goals were a consequence of his "creativity"?

Ljungberg gets slaughtered on here by some -- but both he, and Solano, were as effective last year as Benayoun was the season before.

Always got the impression that the effort went in for the cameras or when he thought he had a chance of getting a move to somewhere else.
Boris73

Post by Boris73 »

Fact is, most of our threat in the first season up came from our left wing - Konchesky and Etherington - not Benayoun. It was the way we played with aggression and pace that got us through rather than any sublime technique from him. Our attacking threat on the right only briefly improved with the arrival of Scaloni (wont mention his defending)
I'd agree that most of our attacking threat came down the left - but since Yossi was generally over there every chance he got he gave us the extra man. Of course that always left us wide open on the right when we lost the ball but he wasn't shy about racing back. We definitely lost someone with the ability to have a look around and a bit of a think about what should happen next when he left.

His inability to shoot before he'd turned 72 times did get a bit annoying though.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Romford wrote:To say he didn't want to know in his 2nd season is unfair in my eyes...if he was like that why were we unhappy about Liverpool coming in and him going for such a low amount ??
I think most people were disappointed about the manner in which he left but he was a decent enough player I just don't think he was the creative spark some on here have him down as, especially in the second season. I don't think he wanted to know in the second season, he put the team second to Israel, publically spoke out against his team mates and refused to sign the contract which to me doesn't suggest the most committed of players.
Ironball wrote:Second half the season his contribution was great. During the run in he pulled his weight like nobody's business, and to those who say he never tried, you are allowing your prejudice to blind you to the fact that he would run and tackle like the clappers
Great? He played a couple of decent games in the last 7 games, I don't think it was a great second half of the season.

As I said, he's a decent enough player but I couldn't seem him being a starter for us next season, everyone being fit.
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Meanwhile, Malbranque - a better player IMO - is on the verge of joining Sunderland
About the only place I could see Marlbranque starting in our team would be left mid as Etherington, as good as he is on his day, often isn't.

Apart from that, I'd steer well clear of Steed. We've got quite enough players near or over the 30 years of age mark who are past their best...
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

PaoloD wrote: About the only place I could see Marlbranque starting in our team would be left mid as Etherington, as good as he is on his day, often isn't.

Apart from that, I'd steer well clear of Steed. We've got quite enough players near or over the 30 years of age mark who are past their best...
Wide left is exactly where I'd put him and apparently he's only 28, and going for a song judging by the current market.

Now this is where you need "Arry.

Nick him off Sunderland and flog them LBM, let Ljungberg go to Lazio and keep Etherington as Malbranque's understudy.

As for Benayoun? Someone like Newcastle or Boro will take him
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

This is one of those transfer rumours that will never happen....just like the other 99.9%
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

simon1982 wrote: Eyal Berkovic!!!! Miles better then Yossi.

indeed. Creative, good "technique" and not afraid to put his head where it hurts :wink:

I'm just not sure whether "Creative" means a player that creates chances or a player that looks good. If it's the former Cole creates (and misses) lots of chances. Benayoun on the other hand looks good and occasionaly scores or sets up a goal.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

You don't ALWAYS have to have a creative player to be creative, moving the ball quickly with precision works as well.......just a thought.
kennyskills

Post by kennyskills »

To put a spin on things this is what his agent said. "I don't believe Liverpool want to sell Yossi and he is just concentrating on life at Liverpool.

"It is nice that everybody is interested in Yossi, but from our point of view he is only thinking about Liverpool."

His agent does not "believe" that will leave Liverpool he has not come out to say hes certain he would not leave. Also he says "It is nice that everybody is interested in Yossi" Which could imply that he could be talking about the clubs.

Also "I don't believe Liverpool want to sell Yossi " which could mean that they do not wish to sell him but they might be forced to.

Im quite impressed with myself :D
Last edited by kennyskills on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

neilbob wrote:
I'm just not sure whether "Creative" means a player that creates chances or a player that looks good. If it's the former Cole creates (and misses) lots of chances. Benayoun on the other hand looks good and occasionaly scores or sets up a goal.
Creative (ye old meaning) he can control a ball instantly, pass it accurately over more than five yards, beat a man with as little as a feint/body swerve and regularly create clear cut chances as a consequence

Creative (contemporary meaning) can dribble a bit without falling over own feet, with added ability of occasionally lifting head up. No requirement to achieve anything
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

davids cross wrote:You don't ALWAYS have to have a creative player to be creative, moving the ball quickly with precision works as well.......just a thought.
Well said....along with intelligent, well timed movement of colleagues to create space.

I remember reading many years ago that the creative game was all about passing accurately and moving into space - some fella called Greenwood I believe. Static footballers make the game easy for the opposition. Our forward line minus Bellamy was at times to blame for some of the supposed shortcomings of our midfield last year.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

bubbles1966 wrote: Creative (ye old meaning) he can control a ball instantly, pass it accurately over more than five yards, beat a man with as little as a feint/body swerve and regularly create clear cut chances as a consequence

Creative (contemporary meaning) can dribble a bit without falling over own feet, with added ability of occasionally lifting head up. No requirement to achieve anything
so basically looks good rather than achieves much.

Yep, Yossi fits that bill.
charlysays

Post by charlysays »

This is a total non starter just on the wages alone.

He agreed a £45,000 a week deal with us, only to then not sign it and eventually jump ship to the scouse. Whats his wage up there?
It must at least match the 45k we offered him. Now that we don't pay wages like that anymore, i can't see him coming back to Upton park for firstly, a wage cut and secondly, no champs league football.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ironball wrote:In the first half his second season, nobody wanted to know. Pardew had turned the place upside down. Yossi was dropped. It's difficult to put in 90 minutes of effort from the bench.
When was this IB? And how long for?
Ironball wrote:Second half the season his contribution was great.
I know this has been picked up on already but I had a look back at some KUMB match reports ... here's some comments I found:

0-4 v Charlton Athletic (a) 24th February 2007
Anonymous – not quite as much as Etherington but nearly so. (4)

0-1 v Watford (h) 10th February 2007
Flashes of inspiration from the start of the second half up to the penalty miss. Did little else before or after. (5)

0-1 v Watford (h) 10th February 2007
Looked dangerous when running at people but had precious little support. (6)

1-2 v Liverpool (h) 30th January 2007
I’m sorry, but I really don’t rate Yossi much anymore. Yet again, he was hardly present. Offered nothing. (4)

1-2 v Liverpool (h) 30th January 2007
Surprisingly poor, as he often performs well against the glamour clubs. His passing was hopeless. (4)

2-2 v Newcastle United (a) 20th January 2007
Rather quiet; disappointing considering his performance last weekend. (5)

2-2 v Newcastle United (a) 20th January 2007
A fairly quiet afternoon for Yossi. (6)

The last three were better though:

1-0 v Manchester United (a) 13th May 2007
The flow of traffic meant that opportunities to shine in his usual manner were limited. Brilliant goalline clearances saved the day in the first half. (7)

3-1 v Bolton Wanderers (h) 5th May 2007
Another who is finally beginning to attain the level of form he reached on occasions last year. Watching him and Tevez in tandem is a delight. (7)

(and perhaps the most relevant in terms of this thread)

3-0 v Wigan Athletic (a) 28th April 2007
Where was a display like this at any other point in the season? He even came out best in 50-50s. (7)

You can see all of Yossi's KUMB match ratings here: http://www.kumb.com/squad.php?id=Yossi%20Benayoun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Oh gulp and groan. Don't make me research it UtJ. I am sure he was dropped at some point, or not reintroduced after injury. By Pardew. Not necessarily at the injectiongate time either.

I guess on the reviews, it's subjective. In my old age, I struggle to remember specifics, but for example, in the Manchester United game (which you concede he did ok in) I remember his ability to put his foot on the ball contributed more than just the goal-line clearances. Maybe "second half the season" = I meant more from March onwards. March, April. The run-in period.

I am not sure how much time he had to play with Ashton. And Tevez, for that matter. But I am sure he is the type of player who will do inordinately better with intelligent players around him. As well as being played somewhere other than RM. If we did buy him back (looks a no-goer at this point) I think we could see a more productive Yossi. Imagine him linking with Bellamy/ Ashton. If we could get even a fraction of the Berko-SJH combination going it would be good.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

neilbob wrote:we missed him badly the season before as well - until the run in that is.
I was disappointed with him more than anyone 2 seasons ago... he was thoroughly frustrating at times when we really needed him! Talented player, questionable character imo

Last season he showed what we saw in his first year here... I cant understand why liverpool would want to see him go, so I cant see it happening!