It can't be......can it?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

West Ham United to re-sign Yossi Benayoun?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Yes please
50%
No thanks
50%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 4

pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Re: It can't be......can it?

Post by pbenjy »

coxy wrote: What's this got to do with Parker?
IIRC Curbs wasn't too impressed when Parker left Charlton for Chelsea, but he seems to have kissed and made up with him.

Yossi did act like a ****, but it is equally true to say that we were lacking creativity last season. If he has grown up a bit and knuckles down and gives us 100% for a whole season he would be a great asset and would set up shed loads of goals for Bellamy and Ashton. - All IMVHO of course.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

NO, NO and THRICE NO !! Nice creative little player, but never tracks back, loses the ball too frequently and is too frail. Apart from that, he's alright.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

What's this got to do with Parker?[/quote]
IIRC Curbs wasn't too impressed when Parker left Charlton for Chelsea, but he seems to have kissed and made up with him.

Yossi did act like a c***, but it is equally true to say that we were lacking creativity last season. If he has grown up a bit and knuckles down and gives us 100% for a whole season he would be a great asset and would set up shed loads of goals for Bellamy and Ashton. - All IMVHO of course.[/quote]

Wasn't that his excuse to go? because he was grown up and towards the end of his career and these chances only come along once?

Back stabbing, always in the press stating how happy he was to be a hammer, c***.

He's been used and abused at the bin dippers found out to be not quite the real deal and still some crave him back because he can create, if your that desperate for thrills go down your local knocking shop.

Too soon to forgive and definitely too soon to forget what he did to the club and us the support.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

coxy wrote: What's this got to do with Parker?
Parker walked out under acriminous circumstances at Charlton, much to the fury and bemusement of their then manager, Curbishley. Reason for leaving? He wanted to go to a bigger club and play European football, etc etc .

The situation is a virtual carbon copy, and Parker's arrival at West Ham indicates that Curbs doesn't bear grudges in the way some imagine. The fact we were going to pay Benayoun £50k per week (allegedly) indicates Curbs and the then boards sense of his value - and if he is sent packing by Liverpool he would be back with his tail between his legs - changing the dynamic between the player and club substantially.

Benayoun would be far from our star player - unlike his previous stint at the club.

If Boa Morte were to go to Sunderland I think we may be interested........but I doubt Benayoun would want to return.......
Matt

Post by Matt »

Never tracks back? When he wanted to be he was very committed and tackled and out-jumped many a player of superior physique.

Obviously the "when he wanted to" is key.

I'd have him back on the basis that he would offer us something that we currently don't have and could improve the squad reasonably cheaply. No point in getting too emotional about something that all players do these days. Yossi just got unlucky that Eggy announced he'd signed a new deal when in fact he hadn't.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Fionn Kiely wrote:He made his bed, now he can rot away in Scouse land for all I care. Little c***. I hope Curbs has enough sense to see this too which I fully believe he does.
I agree with that.

BUT, there is actually a bit of me that would take him back and be quite excited about it. A little bit of extra creativity we need.

Now, where's that "sitting on the fence" smiley.......
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Matt wrote:out-jumped many a player of superior physique
That's rubbish, I think he won 2 headers in his whole time here.

He was alright in his first season, ***** (like most) in his second, scared to pull the trigger on too many occasions and I don't think he'd add anything in terms of creativity especially if the team wants to play at pace.
scanlen

Post by scanlen »

Seems like the debate is now dead anyway -

Manchester City set to outbid Hammers for Liverpool's Israel midfielder Benayoun
By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 8:15 AM on 30th July 2008

Manchester City have made a £6m offer for Yossi Benayoun, all but ending West Ham's hopes of re-signing the Israel midfielder.
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez must sell before making another bid for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, and the opportunity of a £1m profit on Benayoun could be too good to reject.

In demand: Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun is wanted by Manchester City and his former club West Ham.
Benitez said: 'We're still trying to sign players, and if we have to sell someone we will do so.'

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley asked about Benayoun but is unlikely to match City's bid.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

His impact with Liverpool was often negligible though he did ok against Havant and Waterlooville, and in that embarassing game against those hopeless Turks in the CL. Surrounded by Gerrard, Torres, Masch etc I'd have expected him to do better.

If he goes to Satay it would hardly constitute a disaster for us.

Be great if BG pulled £15 mil out of the bag and went for Alonso :lol:
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Benayoun was my fave player when he was at the club, and because of this I never slagged him off over his move to the Scousers. However, we do certainly need a creative player of some sort, but maybe that player is Dyer on the right. If he's anywhere near like on top form, it will be like a new signing. We also have Faubert and Ljungberg on that side, plus Bowyer if needs be. I just don't think moving for Yossi would be a good move for the club, he was great in our first season but had maybe one good game in the next. When the going gets tough, he isn't there. This could be in common with all creative players (Tevez excepted), maybe it's just the way they are, but the way I see it, Benayoun has had his chance with us, he rejected us and I think signing him would be a step backwards.
Kentammer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Kentammer »

Missed him last year. I wouldn't be adverse necessary to seeing him back. Can't see it though & won't lose any sleep over it. I'd rather us get in another striker if we're still looking around.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Can someone give me a good definition of what exactly a creative player is? It seems to be another one of those fluffly terms that people bandy about without ever really having a definition like "technique".
SL

Post by SL »

neilbob wrote:Can someone give me a good definition of what exactly a creative player is? It seems to be another one of those fluffly terms that people bandy about without ever really having a definition like "technique".
I personally see it as being someone who has the footballing brain and the ability to 'make things happen'. A cute little turn, a clever little trick or a perfectly weighted pass.
MK HAMMER
Location: Believe in me, cos I dont believe in anything and I wanna be someone to believe, to believe in.
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MK HAMMER »

Tough call, i actually think that if he was to return he wouldnt get all that bad a reception to be honest, i personally think he is dirty little stinking two faced anaemic rat bag who was just out to line his pockets with as much cash as possible, lets face it what footballer isnt though? He would certainly have to put in more than the odd one or two good performances to gain any respect again but i reckon on the whole people would want him back.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

neilbob wrote:Can someone give me a good definition of what exactly a creative player is? It seems to be another one of those fluffly terms that people bandy about without ever really having a definition like "technique".
A player that has his shirt untucked,socks sligthly rolled down,stands mainly in the centre circle when attacking or defending, often passes to the other team,trys things that dont work but blames inferior team mates for not making a run,can do more than 30 keep ups and moans alot when team is losing
MK HAMMER
Location: Believe in me, cos I dont believe in anything and I wanna be someone to believe, to believe in.
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MK HAMMER »

I8CHAVS wrote: A player that has his shirt untucked,socks sligthly rolled down,stands mainly in the centre circle when attacking or defending, often passes to the other team,trys things that dont work but blames inferior team mates for not making a run,can do more than 30 keep ups and moans alot when team is losing
:shock: Jesus!! Im creative!!??!!
bornblowingbubbles

Post by bornblowingbubbles »

As has been said countless times we do need creativity and I wouldn't have a problem with Yossi coming back here but with the amount of right sided players we've got I don't really see the point in adding another. We should be looking for a creative player on the left - get rid of Boa Morte and have Etherington as a back up. Failing that get someone creative in the middle of the park.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

He wont leave Liverpool, he's just got the 15 shirt
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Jackanakanory wrote:He wont leave Liverpool, he's just got the 15 shirt
What number did he have before?
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by pbenjy »

You remember when we were struggling to break down all those visiting teams at Upton Park last year. Well a creative player is someone with the vision and ability to produce a pass or a piece of skill that creates a goal scoring opportunity, something that most players wouldn't have the imagination and technique to concieve and execute.

I'm a bit surprised you've got to ask.