KUMB Forum Player of the Month: August 2008

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

KUMB Forum Player of the Month: August 2008

Dean Ashton
9%
Valon Behrami
5%
Luis Boa Morte
2%
Lee Bowyer
No votes
Carlton Cole
12%
Calum Davenport
32%
Matthew Etherington
2%
Julien Faubert
14%
Robert Green
13%
Zavon Hines
0%
George McCartney
0%
Hayden Mullins
0%
Lucas Neill
No votes
Mark Noble
0%
Scott Parker
3%
Kyel Reid
No votes
Fred Sears
No votes
Matthew Upson
7%
Craig Bellamy
0%

Total votes: 230

Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Re: KUMB Forum Player of the Month: August 2008

Post by Big George »

went for Valon mainly because he seems tio have some real spirit to go with his talent. love the fact that after getting smacked in the mush twice in 5 days, breaking teeth he just got on with it on saturday.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

I went for Green, he has saved us points already this season with some outstanding saves
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

In Parker we trust, Curbs best signing so far.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Davenport. He's been excellent for us so far this season.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Davenport for me.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Upson for me.

Has looked unruffled so far and has helped Davenport along immensely.
John Simkin
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by John Simkin »

The top three of my newspaper and online ratings for August:

Green (6.72)

Ashton (6.46)

Davenport (6.10)

However, the Guardian's computer ratings are as follows:

Davenport (66)

Faubert (35)

Parker (31)

Davenport is not only West Ham's highest rated player, he has the highest-rating in the Premier League: Davenport (1st), Faubert (33rd) and Parker (48th). Green is 111th (goalkeeper rank 6th).
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

BMU.WIC wrote:Watching all three of the games, I do wonder whether or not Carlton would be a better centre-half than striker and vice-versa for Calum!

I voted for Davenport because I've been reading all the 'you're sh*t' comments here - probably the same people who creamed over him in his first loan spell for us in the Championship. He showed his class there in looking a cut-above, now I wait to see if he can maintain his good form over the next weeks and months. Hope so - however the QM2 could have turned in the space he allowed Roberts for Blackburn's solitary goal, less of those rickets thank you very much.
I still haven't moved on Davenport. He is excellent in many ways that a CB needs to be. He also lacks, imo, in certain areas that a premier league CB needs to be good in

The things he is good at (wins every header, good blocker, not bad distribution, holds the line well, etc) made him stand out in the CCC. I certainly wouldn't say he was a cut above, but he did seem the only player who was anything like on the same level as Anton

Trouble is, the things he lacked then, he still lacks, imo. That is pace, nimbleness, speed of movement and ability to change direction quickly. All things our defence is seriously lacking since we sold Anton. It tends to be the way that the big strong centre back who will win every header is easily turned (as he was by Roberts on saturday-as Tomkins, a similar type of defender, was a few times last season), whereas the quicker nimble type will win less in the physical battle. As often is the case, it's about balancing a pairing to cover all options

We seem well off for the type who will win a lot of headers (Dav, Ginge, Tomkins), whereas in the quick ball player department we are seriously lacking, imo. Gabbs can play that role, and I guess Lucas has the skills if not the pace. Upson seems a bit of both to me, so maybe can adapt to cover for Calum's deficiencies

I do think he (Davenport) has done very well, and he was probably in 2nd place in my mind (I voted for Green). I certainly wish him well and hope he proves me wrong and shows he has a lot more to his game. But were Upson out, I'd be seriously worried that with a less talented partner his weaknesses would be much more easily exploited
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

I voted Green. That penalty save seemed, even at the time, to have more significance than just one match. I think we'd have lost without it, and we'd have gone to the next match with poor morale. I wasn't the only one. Inside the ground it felt like everyone responded more to that save than to the goals.

Of course my optimism was before the last day transfer dealings.............
spree

Post by spree »

Deano, 2 goals in 3 matchs , + 1/2 (own goal of blackburn is due to him).

I disagree with the forum for davenport beacause he's really dangerous in the defence for us, totally overwhelmed at city and on blackburn goal.
paul.nicholas1990

Post by paul.nicholas1990 »

I voted for faubert as he has a few assists, he has got a good cross on him and is quite fast :thup:

I dont see why davenport is in the lead, he isnt very good versus players that have a little speed hes like crouch in defence, he will be ok versus a few teams but when it comes to the chelsea's man u's we would have to have gabbidon or even colling( when they are back)
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

paul.nicholas1990 wrote:I voted for faubert as he has a few assists, he has got a good cross on him and is quite fast :thup:

I dont see why davenport is in the lead, he isnt very good versus players that have a little speed hes like crouch in defence, he will be ok versus a few teams but when it comes to the chelsea's man u's we would have to have gabbidon or even colling( when they are back)
But we didnt play chelsea or man u's last month.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

There is only one real player of the month, the only real player. That **** Duxbury
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

I went for Green, cracking save against Wigan and probably saved the points against Blackburn.
edgwareirons

Post by edgwareirons »

Davenport for me by a country mile...............

I am amazed at the amount of votes for Faubert. He can't tackle, keep possession, cross the ball, score, pass, defend.....oh and he's French :lol:
irons.till.i.die

Post by irons.till.i.die »

I've Surprised myself but I went for Carlton. He's not stopped running bagged a couple of goals already, which was the one thing he had to improve on, and has been a real pain in the arse for the opposition. As soon as he went off against man city so did any hope of us getting a result.
I was tempted by Davenport and was chuffed he bagged a goal but occasionally has looked slow and out of position, but impressed seeing as he's just stepped up from pretty much being finished. :crest:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The August results:

1. Calum Davenport 32% (72 votes)
2. Julien Faubert 14% (32 votes)
3. Robert Green 13% (29 votes)

September thread to follow shortly.