Poll: the final four

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The new manager - get:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Slaven Bilic
50%
Roberto Donadoni
14%
Michael Laudrup
23%
Gianfranco Zola
13%

Total votes: 514

ShortRound

Re: Poll: the final four

Post by ShortRound »

Officer Dibble wrote:Rumour is it will be Zola with Di Canio as his Number 2.

Looks like things could be getting a bit more exciting at The Boleyn. Hopefully between them they will know an Italian that has some idea on how to defend as well. :crest:
Rumour on conjecture?

I'm not sure they would risk 2 inexperienced coaches running things. Having said that I do kind of like the idea and it would be one hell of a ride, but it also worries me at the same time.

I once met Zola, in fact I installed his PC at his house during his Chelsea days. Nice bloke had a lot of good things to say about Dicks.
best tever

Post by best tever »

Am I right in saying that if either Zola or Donadoni were to be appointed , they will be our first foreign manager :|
Last edited by best tever on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

ShortRound wrote: Rumour on conjecture?

I'm not sure they would risk 2 inexperienced coaches running things. Having said that I do kind of like the idea and it would be one hell of a ride, but it also worries me at the same time.

I once met Zola, in fact I installed his PC at his house during his Chelsea days. Nice bloke had a lot of good things to say about Dicks.
as in Julian im assuming :D
ShortRound

Post by ShortRound »

as in Julian im assuming :D
hahahah I did not notice until you pointed that out.....It's been a long day :oops: ......... And yes it was Julian who he was talking about. I think he had a shirt he swapped with him, it was around 1996/1997ish if my memory serves me correct.
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

First poll overwhelmingly favoured Mancini, This one Bilic, So we are getting Zola according to reports, which i dont believe.
Does the board even think about visiting this site, which is the biggest WHU site on the www, just to have a look at what the supporters are feeling, this is as good a place to get a feel on things as any.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I keep praying this is just a diversion for our us getting Bilic....

Cant believe anyone could be happy with this..... Might as well appointed Di Canio rather than Zola.... both got no proper management experience, both played in prem just one is a Chelsea Legend and one is a West Ham Legend...... Only here with the poorest billionaire in the world could you appoint the Chelsea Legend!!!!!

Curbs in :lol:
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Up the Junction wrote:Zola's 5'5" tall. Are there any precedents for weenie managers being big successes?
Shankly? Dave Mackay? Bryan Flynn....(maybe not)
lopsidedbunny

Post by lopsidedbunny »

Can we have a new poll, Are we a Happy to have ex-Chelsea Manager, neither or Not Happy poll please. :|
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I wonder how the poll would have gone if the choices were 1, Klinsman, 2, Berkamp 3, Zola and 4, Billic?
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

Georgee Paris wrote:I wonder how the poll would have gone if the choices were 1, Klinsman, 2, Berkamp 3, Zola and 4, Billic?

Bilic, Klinsman, Berkamp and then Zola
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Personally still think it'll be Bilic and this naming of a 2 man shortlist is our way of letting Bilic know he has to commit immediately. This way we cant be accused of talking to him without permission.

Reckon he'll get tomorrow out of the way and be ours on Thurs.
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

chalks wrote:Personally still think it'll be Bilic and this naming of a 2 man shortlist is our way of letting Bilic know he has to commit immediately. This way we cant be accused of talking to him without permission.

Fingers crossed.....
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

chalks wrote:Personally still think it'll be Bilic and this naming of a 2 man shortlist is our way of letting Bilic know he has to commit immediately. This way we cant be accused of talking to him without permission.

Would love that.
jam

Post by jam »

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before...

Do we know how many of the shortlist applicants were approched by WHU or did they all apply themselves?
otter_of_despair

Post by otter_of_despair »

Would love to think we could still get Bilic but the media messages coming out of the club all scream Zola and surely at least one of the papers would have picked it up if we were playing brinksmanship for Bilic.
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

I had a glimmer of hope for West Ham the other day, talks of Mancini etc. but here we are again, let's hope they pull something decent off cause I feel disappointed again. Let's hope who ever it is that they are not just a "yes" man, this is the boards chance to redeem themselves a bit, let's hope they don't **** it up again
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

Will the Croatia v England result have any influence on Bilics decision ?
I reckon he has to gamble on who he can be the most successful with over the next 2/3 yrs, Croatia or West Ham ? What is seen as success by either ? Croatia, last 4/8 next WC? WHUFC, top 6/8 finish, europe?
Failure with either will limit his future prospects, who has he most chance of failing with ? Croatia or West Ham ? Whats failure ? Croatia, failure to qualify/poor campaign ? West Ham ? who knows what is seen as failure now.
Croatia or West Ham ? I can think of about 2 million reasons why West Ham appeal more and if it goes tits up just blame it on the board, take the money and run. It seems like thats what happens these days.
Whatever his/our decision is its a gamble.
Thing is, who isn't a gamble?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Anyone else hoping that Croatia get beat and Bilic agrees to join us on Thursday? :lol:
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Rushing it

Post by libero »

I've already mentioned several times on this forum that I'm very pleased with the standard of West Ham's managerial short list. All 4 names gave me a sense of the club moving in the right direction. Appointing a new manager is always a gamble and each candidate has his own set of pros and cons. But basically I'll be happy with whoever is appointed.

The only thing that concerns me is the haste that seems to have taken over the situation. West Ham don't want to wait to talk quietly with Bilic, they seem to want to get someone appointed by thursday. Does it really matter if the new man is in before the West Brom game? Are West Ham worried someone (Newcastle) are going to poach Zola, as seems to have happened with Laudrup? Is it some devious scheme to force Bilic into a decision?

So long as we get one of the 3 left on the list, I'll be pleased, so is it that dangerous to wait and have a good long chat with Bilic about this job sharing idea? After all how many games to Croatia have between now and January? Probably not worth thinking about I suppose and at the end of the day I think Zola might prove to be the best man for the job anyway. What do you think?
Fionn

Re: Rushing it

Post by Fionn »

If the reason we don't go for Billic is for the aforementioned then it's very shortsighted by the board.