Poll: the final four

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The new manager - get:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Slaven Bilic
50%
Roberto Donadoni
14%
Michael Laudrup
23%
Gianfranco Zola
13%

Total votes: 514

Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Re: Poll: the final four

Post by Albie Beck »

libero wrote:Albie Beck

I think you are being unneccessarily negative. Yes of course the 4 have more international prestige as footballers, as you point out. But that is partly because they are young, they are starting their managerial careers. Which in my opinion is a positive thing. Who do you want for the job, Bobby Robson or Jackie Charlton? They are certainly more experienced

Your line:

"Our club profile doesn't need raising, and certainly not as a rehab for a failed Italy manager or a stepping stone to Chelsea."

Is so depressingly negative in so very many ways that it makes me wonder just exactly who you would prefer to have as the next manager. Because I am sure that, changing names and adjectives, something similar could be said about any manager applying for practically any job. Who, in your opinion, would be the right man for the job?
Mate, I'm negative because of what the lying c**** at the club have done to it. You expect me to be all "happy-clappy Pardewesque"? It's not a case of who I'd like as manager now. I don't really give a f***. The smarmy bastards have manoeuvered out a bloke who was doing a fair-enough job and that is so against the principles of what I believe that I find it just unacceptable.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by davids cross »

Albie Beck wrote: Fair comment... :D but I have some suspicions about any intention to "attract bigger players". And the players Keane has attracted (in the main) aren't really in the Ronaldinho bracket!
Think you'll find Chopra will be the new Ronaldinho when he comes out of rehab :wink: :lol:
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

davids cross wrote: Think you'll find Chopra will be the new Ronaldinho when he comes out of rehab :wink: :lol:
Barca are dusting off the chequebook as we speak... :lol:
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

If West Ham have ****ed up the chance of Bilic coming because they cant wait 2 days to speak to him then it really is a ****ing shambles.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

'stone hammer wrote:As there isn't a 'none of the above' option, i have grudgingly voted for Bilic
So who are you holding out for then? Fat Sam? Stan Ternent? Brian Horton? Ffs.

I can't comprehend people who are critical of that list. All glamorous names with a high profile and standing in world football. Yes, sure they're all risks, but aren't all managers to some degree?
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

With the new set up that seems to be in place( like it or not) it would be of the upmost importance that the "sporting director" and the manager are on the same wavelength and working together, if not we are gonna get nowhere. I wonder if Nan is pushing his mates (high quality names to be fair) ahead of the rather more independant thinking Bilic ? :think:
Porfirio
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porfirio »

having looked in to it a little bit I've gone and voted for Laudrup. Constantly see the mention of attacking, entertaining football when looking at Getafe last season.

Only slight concern is that he lost his first 7 games when in charge of Getafe, but that shouldn't be a problem here, we're famed for our patience.

Also, John Jensen is his number two.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Roaring Repka wrote:Laudrup admits he is more likely to go to Spartak Moscow than West Ham:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 661432.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In that link he does nothing of the sort (look beyond the misleading headline). Quite the opposite, in fact.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Well, it looks clear that Michael Laudrup would be twice as popular a choice as the two Italians on the list.
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

steveyrockstar wrote: So who are you holding out for then? Fat Sam? Stan Ternent? Brian Horton? Ffs.

I can't comprehend people who are critical of that list. All glamorous names with a high profile and standing in world football. Yes, sure they're all risks, but aren't all managers to some degree?
So that's what the criteria are? "Glamour", "high profile" and "standing in world football (but as a player not a manager)"? We are truly celebrity-obsessed, aren't we. :)

Not all managers are a risk, and not to the extent this under-qualified short-list are. But if you're going to take a risk, then imo Zola and Donadoni, for instance, are not the ones to take it on. But they are "front-runners" because, apparently, they are Italian. And won't rock the boat.
DanielHammer

Post by DanielHammer »

if we can't get Bilic because we won't wait a couple of days it will be an absolute joke. Any manager now is not going to be in charge of the west brome game so we should ait and interview him after the game. Can't see it any where so i put a link to the Bilic quotes in the sun ruling himself out which is a real shame.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 659856.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joyful

Post by joyful »

Yes UTJ, agreed -- it's the complete opposite. The quotes could sound to me like someone indicating that there are many factors involved in making a decision.
Would his wife and daughter settle in more easily in London or Moscow? I'd bet they speak English and would find UK more appealing plus better long term career prospects for him.

Let's hope the board are interviewing via telephone.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

woodford wrote:the jury is out on Keane,

Spend a hell of a lot of money ( whilst berating others for doing so ) and achieved the result of keeping Sunderland up.

Out of interest, genuinely, what makes Keane a good manager?
Would you like to tell him he's not? :think:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Is this the definite final four? What happened to Mancini has he pulled out of the race or what.
dakeane
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by dakeane »

I voted for Bilic and have wanted him in for a couple of years now.

My main problem with Zola is that he's Chelsea through and through. Whilst I have no real problem with that in principle I firmly believe that if he does well for us he'll be off across London whenever Abramovich gets fed up with Scolari. I have no stomach for us being an on-the-job training course for a future Chelsea manager.

Apart from that Zola has no real experience. A bit of coaching for the Italy u21's is not a lot. West Ham stated quite categorically that they wanted an experienced manager. He's not.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

ageing hammer wrote:Is this the definite final four? What happened to Mancini has he pulled out of the race or what.
Seems so... in dispute with former club over contract...and wanting to bring lots of own back room staff seem to have killed his chances...not sure how true that is, but that's the rumours/reasons listed around these pages. :think:
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

dakeane wrote:I voted for Bilic and have wanted him in for a couple of years now.

My main problem with Zola is that he's Chelsea through and through. Whilst I have no real problem with that in principle I firmly believe that if he does well for us he'll be off across London whenever Abramovich gets fed up with Scolari
As would our Slaven :thup:
dakeane

Post by dakeane »

ageing hammer wrote:Is this the definite final four? What happened to Mancini has he pulled out of the race or what.
Depending on what paper you read either his wage demands were too high or his situation in terms of fighting for a severance payment from Inter was too complicated.
dakeane

Post by dakeane »

davids cross wrote: As would our Slaven :thup:
Perhaps but I could do without having a manager who is positively salivating at the chance to switch to Stamford Bridge, dreaming of it every day!
woodford
Has liked: 420 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

ageing hammer wrote: Would you like to tell him he's not? :think:

No i thought i'd give him your PM address and tell him you thought he fights like a girl :lol:

....that or i could put your Mrs mobile number on a text to Alan Pardew when you're out of town :lol: