Poll: the final four

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The new manager - get:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Slaven Bilic
50%
Roberto Donadoni
14%
Michael Laudrup
23%
Gianfranco Zola
13%

Total votes: 514

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Re: Poll: the final four

Post by steveyrockstar »

I remember the glory days when mcclaren rejected us in favour of boro, and we appointed roeder instead

great days
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

If we take it that both Donadoni and Zola both want the job and West Ham are prepared to offer one of them the job the longer it drags on can only mean they are still chasing Bilic.
Coley
g33k h4mm3r

Post by Coley »

davids cross wrote:If we take it that both Donadoni and Zola both want the job and West Ham are prepared to offer one of them the job the longer it drags on can only mean they are still chasing Bilic.
Good point DC, we can hope so anyway
SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura »

Copenhagen Hammer wrote:For the Club's best I would like Bilic as the new manager but for my own selfish reasons I will say Laudrup because Danish TV must have shown 99% of his games at Getafe! So result either way :thup:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 82,00.html
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Is it me or is this looking like when we sacked Redknapp, all of the candidates dropped away and we ended up with Roeder?

"Kevin Keen's Claret and blue army!" :lol:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

steveyrockstar wrote: 1 With high profile and standing in world football comes excellent contacts, knowledge of overseas market, enormous respect from fellow pros, and the ability to attract players of a high quality. Massive qualities imo.

Zola (can't speak for Donadoni* as I know nothing of him as a player) was also an outstanding, very exciting player and has a good understanding of the premier league 2.

I think they're viable risks, personally.

What sort of risks did you have in mind then?
1 Agreed, but Mourinho, Wenger etc were not high profile players. They built their reputation, contacts and support as managers.
2 So too DiCanio. If you're going to take a chance on the unproven, why not him? And just because he was a madman as a player means nothing - people have correctly cited Keane as a spotless leopard. :wink:

* Donadoni was a very skillful player. Bloody boring manager, most of our support will find.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Up the Junction wrote: The full quote is as follows:

“But the chances are quite high though I prefer to wait till all matters are settled."

So if what he's saying has been used in the correct context, I think we can probably assume that he is awaiting to hear from other interested parties before making a decision whether or not to move to Russia - in which case, this is a complete non-story!
If the latest Sky Sports reports are true then it's starting to look like The Sun story might have had a bit of substance for a change!
WHID to deserve this?

Post by WHID to deserve this? »

Looks like ML is out of the running now. Sky have a quote from the Spartak Moscow people saying he has signed an 18 month deal.

Michael Laudrup is out of the running for the vacant manager's job at West Ham after agreeing to take over at Spartak Moscow.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

No, you can't always get what you want
Bilic can't always get what you want
Laudrup can't always get what you want
And if you try Mancini you find
You get what Donadoni.

I'm off for a Zola.
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

So looks like Laudrup is out of the running, if there's no press conference called by WH either tomorrow or Wed, then the man could be Billic (i hope and pray), but i have a feeling it will be Zola.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Zola's 5'5" tall. Are there any precedents for weenie managers being big successes?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Not sure that Gordon Strachan counts.

Napolean was pretty succesful in Europe.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Despite his height, I think Zola's got quite a few things going for him: he speaks English, he knows the PL and England pretty well, he impressed enough as a coach in Italy to the extent that he got the U21 job where he's done reasonably well, I think. He's enthusiastic, ambitious, a workaholic and intelligent. Seems to be a pretty decent guy too. So apart from being ludicrously short and having that Chelsea connection he would seem a pretty decent bet. I would imagine his teams to be more entertaining than Donadoni's, but that's just speculation.

But, despite rumours to the contrary coming out of Croatia, I still half believe my own crackpot theory that Zola, Laudrup and Donadoni are red herrings to put pressure on Bilic, who won't be able to say yes till thursday.

Whatever. I'm just pleased with the short list we've got: who's on it and the many who are not on it makes me think that West Ham might be about to embark on some interesting times,

One question though - do we really know that there is a 4 man short list? Has that been stated officially by anyone at the club?
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Up the Junction wrote:Zola's 5'5" tall. Are there any precedents for weenie managers being big successes?
Rumours abound that Zola is about to get the job.

Accordingly....

Little....little Frank
Little....little Frank
Little....little Frank
Little Frankie Zola!
smede

Post by smede »

I bet he will have to have a little box to stand on that he carries around at training sessions... Kinda like a Tom Cruise movie. :shock:
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

zola or donadoni then

hope its donadoni, i think zola would be a mistake

appointed either way before weekend
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

If they are the final two then im not sure which one i would want, so how about both :) either way they will have my support :crest:
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Nani -

J'accuse!

smede

Post by smede »

These are a couple of interviews with Zola from March this year...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... a-yet.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 98914.html
... he smiled. "I would be crazy to say no. Let us put it this way; one day I would like to be good enough to manage Chelsea. It is in my heart. Mr Abramovich has been very good to me and has asked me a couple of times to come back but what's the point of going there and not have anything worthwhile to do for the club? I want to go there when I know I can give something back."
Other than a few alarming bits, he sounds like a good bloke that wants to play entertaining football... Just hope he doesnt turn up at Stamford Bridge by mistake on matchday. :?
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Rumour is it will be Zola with Di Canio as his Number 2.

Looks like things could be getting a bit more exciting at The Boleyn. Hopefully between them they will know an Italian that has some idea on how to defend as well. :crest: