Poll: the final four

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The new manager - get:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Slaven Bilic
50%
Roberto Donadoni
14%
Michael Laudrup
23%
Gianfranco Zola
13%

Total votes: 514

AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Re: Poll: the final four

Post by AJ »

not happy at seing zola being the favourite now on bet fair, please dont let it be him
afcwhufc

Post by afcwhufc »

I went for Zola,

Bilic-he's used to picking players from a limited bunch so may get on okay with nani etc

Dondani/Laudrup-can't see either sitting back and not having a say with who comes in and who leaves so if they were to get job i reckon only be matter of time before they started to grump about how they weren't in control

Zola-Slaven was my original choice but I'd like to see use take a risk, i thought Curbs was boring and predictable so would like our board to take a risk with this guy, i think his attitude and his cleverness could see him be a quality manager and he's the Italy U21 manager (if am correct) so surely him and nani would agree on the young talent to take to UP from there, if any.

I rather we take a chance with Zola and fail rather than pass up the chance then for him to go on and be a new quality manager at another club and us lot to be kicking ourselves for not taking the chance,

so zola for me
uptonspark
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by uptonspark »

I've gone for Laudrup but, with the way he seems to be getting nothing but good press from WHU, it'll probably be John Collins!
Hammer&Wings

Post by Hammer&Wings »

Not voting,not one of those i'd want at the club
Raving Iron

Post by Raving Iron »

All I want is a bloke who can get them playing decent football, win more than they lose go on a few cup runs and stay away from relegation. That's all I want, that’s what we all really hope for isn’t it, I know we all want to aim higher but realistically we are not going to challenge the top 4/5 :crest:
best tever

Post by best tever »

Hammer&Wings wrote:Not voting,not one of those i'd want at the club
Who would you want then hammer&wings ,an english manager like southgate perhaps ?
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 143 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

Haven't voted. Just what club record do any of these candidates have that makes our board think they would be successful at West Ham?

Considering the board are indicating there will be no money available in January for the successful candidate I can't get excited at all tbh. This indicates they're looking for a manager who won't rock the boat and will allow them to trim the squad further rather than build for the future. Talk of having a good squad "when they're all fit" means nothing when that rarely happens.
Hammer&Wings

Post by Hammer&Wings »

best tever wrote: Who would you want then hammer&wings ,an english manager like southgate perhaps ?

He wouldn't have been a bad shout,but the ones i would have like arn't coming,so i'm staying with none of the above
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Arch Dandy wrote:One of our players is telling people it's definitely Donadoni, I don't know if he is just repeating what's on SSN but he's telling people.

Thats who I think will get it. Duller football then Curbs but a better choice than Zola
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

Not voting, cos I still haven't seen anywhere that Mancini has categorically said he wasn't interested in the job.
The board said they are still interviewing "others", he just wasn't mentioned on 5Live.
West Ham = Cagey, it's happened before??????
BOBBY MANCINI'S CLARET & BLUE ARMY :crest:
Last edited by beex on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

From what Mancini would earn in 5 years of managing West Ham...he can get in one pay-off from Inter...so it's no surprise he's waiting for it...
DeadJoshWalkin

Post by DeadJoshWalkin »

Rumours are bound that Newcastle want to poach Zola, so we'd better make up our minds fast.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

There's a danger of being spoilt by riches here. If the board had not mentioned a shortlist with 4 names on it and had simply named any one of these 4 as manager, most West Ham fans would have been more than satisfied. Now we have the ludicrous situation that some people will be disappointed by whoever gets the nod, because they chose to support one of the other candidates.

And that's absurd. We need to get this in context. We are talking about high profile, internationally prestigious candidates who by merely being associated with our club are raising our profile. The atmosphere is optimistic and positive, but we should be careful not to be any way disappointed with the man that gets chosen. So far as the likes of Allardyce, Hoddle, O'Leary, Dowie and yes Roeder, Pardew and Curbishley are not in contention, I'm feeling good about the situation. The new guy might get it all wrong? Of course, but at least we're aiming high.

And anyway, I think Zola, Laudrup and Donadoni are just being interviewed to raise the profile of the club and put pressure on Bilic to sign. If he wasn't going to sign on thursday, I think his denial would have been far more categorical than it has been. But of course, I might be wrong
HAH

Post by HAH »

Laudrup, his style of play, giving youngsters a chance, looks good to me.
morganwhu

Who do you think it will be?

Post by morganwhu »

we all know who we would prefer, but who do you think it will actually be?

Zola is firm favorites with 95% of the bookies, at 5/4 generally.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

DeadJoshWalkin wrote:Rumours are bound that Newcastle want to poach Zola, so we'd better make up our minds fast.
let them have him.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

libero wrote:. We need to get this in context. We are talking about high profile, internationally prestigious candidates who by merely being associated with our club are raising our profile.
You are so spot on, you have to laugh as we normally get linked with Martin Allen and Iain Dowie :lol: To slag any of these guys off would be churlish in the extreme.

ps I hate the board of WHU and don't want Donadoni (but thats my problem) :wink: :lol:
Dartford Hammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Dartford Hammer »

I think my vote goes to laudrup after reading his Wiki page...

During his tenure, as successor to current Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster, he brought a new brand of exciting and free-flowing attacking football to the club which brought back memoires of Laudrup as a player. His team, which is not one of the established forces in Spanish football, also enjoyed comparative success

That certainly beats what Curbs gave us...... Zola is 2nd choice, Bilic 3rd and Donadoni 4th.....
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

Dartford Hammer wrote:I think my vote goes to laudrup after reading his Wiki page...

During his tenure, as successor to current Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster, he brought a new brand of exciting and free-flowing attacking football to the club which brought back memoires of Laudrup as a player. His team, which is not one of the established forces in Spanish football, also enjoyed comparative success

That certainly beats what Curbs gave us...... Zola is 2nd choice, Bilic 3rd and Donadoni 4th.....
but walked after a row over transfers. :think:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

I have to say I'm totally sat on the fence, as none of them stand out as someone who will know what to do with West Ham

The fact that in the previous poll Donadoni got 2%, and Zola 1% kind of sums up my feelings about them. Sure, either may turn out to be amazing, but we just don't know enough about their management credentials

As I see it, there's Donadoni and Bilic, who have no experience of club management, (though granted that Bilic, at least, has shown at international level he has something about him), Zola who has no experience of management full stop, and Laudrup, who I know next to nothing about in terms of management

So all very much unknown quantities, imo. Certainly in terms of how they would cope with being a premiership manager

I'm kind of leaning towards Bilic & Laudrup more than the other 2, but for no particular reason