Poll: the final four

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The new manager - get:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Slaven Bilic
50%
Roberto Donadoni
14%
Michael Laudrup
23%
Gianfranco Zola
13%

Total votes: 514

fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Re: Poll: the final four

Post by fester »

Any for me is better than what we have had (for different reasons).

Donadoni may have been **** with the national team but has got a reasonable pedigree at club level (and I like his mad hair)
Laudrup I don't know much about (apart from his playing days). Seems highly regarded by most on here.
Zola has a fantastic footballing brain and is coaching the under 21's. I have an inkling he will become a great coach given the opportunity.
Bilic has proved with Croatia he is no mug. Ok, so he hasn't got the club experience, but his players play with passion. Some of that for me please :thup:

Top choice for me is Bilic. Not because he is an ex-player. The passion is key for me. Especially after Man City game. Every player looked like they couldn't give a f*** (which is probably the case after what has transpired).

I can't see it happening though. I think we will get John Collins. Has he coached before? He came through the Coerver coaching system. If their methods were employed (more than they are at present) I would expect to see fast break counter attacking a la Manure. I know he has been poo-pooed from the off, but he could be the surprise package in the next 5 years (or of course he could be a know nothing Sweaty Cuont as well)
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

davids cross wrote: You are so spot on, you have to laugh as we normally get linked with Martin Allen and Iain Dowie :lol: To slag any of these guys off would be churlish in the extreme.

ps I hate the board of WHU and don't want Donadoni (but thats my problem) :wink: :lol:
Can't agree with libero, DC: these are "internationally prestigious" footballers who have precious little track record in club management (Laudrup is best on that score). Our club profile doesn't need raising, and certainly not as a rehab for a failed Italy manager or a stepping stone to Chelsea.
Last edited by Albie Beck on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAH

Post by HAH »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:
As I see it, there's Donadoni and Bilic, who have no experience of club management, (though granted that Bilic, at least, has shown at international level he has something about him), Zola who has no experience of management full stop, and Laudrup, who I know next to nothing about in terms of management

So all very much unknown quantities, imo. Certainly in terms of how they would cope with being a premiership manager

I'm kind of leaning towards Bilic & Laudrup more than the other 2, but for no particular reason
So, actually you have got no information or knowledge, but you do have an opinion?

Donadoni did manage at club level, only not with the biggest clubs. Laudrup managed Getafe who were a joy to watch in the Primera Division and UEFA Cup, giving Bayern Munich the scare of their life with there attacking style in the QF.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Whoever it is it will divide opinion. I agree with Libero, to have names such as these associated with the club can only be a good thing. Zola may surprise a few people but would undoubtedly be a breath of fresh air for the club, and would very quickly gain the backing of the majority of the fans, - and the Media, which after all the negative crap around the club at the moment would be a positive move forward. My only concern is that he may be seen as a yes man with nani pulling the strings, buts who is to say thats a bad thing?
Donadoni comes with a tried and tested way of working, would certainly gain respect of players not sure fans or media would warm to him though. Just feel people would be waiting for him to fail - similar to the Curbs thing.
Bilic and Laudrup fall in the middle of the two. Some experience, good players, with the promise of adopting a freeflowing exciting brand of football. As Bilic- (50% of peoples choice,) seems to be distancing himself from the role, a period of re-evaluation of the remaining candidates is needed.
joyful

Post by joyful »

Is it just me or are all these candidates much better than we have a right to expect given the ineptitude and backstabbing board, the current tendency of our fans to boo at the first tiny thing that goes wrong and the witch-hunting pressure exerted by the English media.

Plus, one of them has a goatee, one an earring, one (Laudrup) is a dishy Danish and Zola coming would really piss of Chelski.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:I have to say I'm totally sat on the fence, as none of them stand out as someone who will know what to do with West Ham

The fact that in the previous poll Donadoni got 2%, and Zola 1% kind of sums up my feelings about them. Sure, either may turn out to be amazing, but we just don't know enough about their management credentials

As I see it, there's Donadoni and Bilic, who have no experience of club management, (though granted that Bilic, at least, has shown at international level he has something about him), Zola who has no experience of management full stop, and Laudrup, who I know next to nothing about in terms of management

So all very much unknown quantities, imo. Certainly in terms of how they would cope with being a premiership manager

I'm kind of leaning towards Bilic & Laudrup more than the other 2, but for no particular reason
I'm starting to think that international management might be a good grounding for our new managerial structure. Do the best with the player's you're given. No new signings you can bring in if someone gets injured, you just have to make the best of it. At most you can appeal to your superiors to see if they can unearth someone with a passport that fits.

In that respect I guess Bilic gets the most kudos for apparently achieving more with lesser players. Donadoni notably didn't get the best out of Luca Toni, I'm not sure if you can blame the manager for that - I guess you have to if you're looking at possible weaknesses. I know nothing about the other two, although I like the idea of Laudrup converting us into an attacking side.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by davids cross »

Albie Beck wrote: Can't agree with libero, DC: these are "internationally prestigious" footballers who have precious little track record in club management (Laudrup is best on that score). Our club profile doesn't need raising, and certainly not as a rehab for a failed Italy manager or a stepping stone to Chelsea.
Your point is well made AB and of course you are right............I suspect the owners (spits) disagree that West Ham doesn't need its profile raising I suspect they think it does. Big names attract bigger players (when we get some money) thats the way it works. If you had the chance to meet Zola and work for him or Big Fat Sam or David Moyes and work for them I suspect most foreign players young and old would choose to work with Zola without a second glance to the other two very capable managers..........All managers of WHU will be using it as a stepping stone so that doesn't enter my thinking..........Anyone of these wil be a risk, no managerial appointment is without risk but the contenders though inexperienced are top quality people. You could have labelled the same accusation at Roy Keane who has quickly and clearly proved he was an excellent appointment.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Albie Beck

I think you are being unneccessarily negative. Yes of course the 4 have more international prestige as footballers, as you point out. But that is partly because they are young, they are starting their managerial careers. Which in my opinion is a positive thing. Who do you want for the job, Bobby Robson or Jackie Charlton? They are certainly more experienced

Your line:

"Our club profile doesn't need raising, and certainly not as a rehab for a failed Italy manager or a stepping stone to Chelsea."

Is so depressingly negative in so very many ways that it makes me wonder just exactly who you would prefer to have as the next manager. Because I am sure that, changing names and adjectives, something similar could be said about any manager applying for practically any job. Who, in your opinion, would be the right man for the job?
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

davids cross wrote: Your point is well made AB and of course you are right............I suspect the owners (spits) disagree that West Ham doesn't need its profile raising I suspect they think it does. Big names attract bigger players (when we get some money) thats the way it works. If you had the chance to meet Zola and work for him or Big Fat Sam or David Moyes and work for them I suspect most foreign players young and old would choose to work with Zola without a second glance to the other two very capable managers..........All managers of WHU will be using it as a stepping stone so that doesn't enter my thinking..........Anyone of these wil be a risk, no managerial appointment is without risk but the contenders though inexperienced are top quality people. You could have labelled the same accusation at Roy Keane who has quickly and clearly proved he was an excellent appointment.

Barclays Premier League
31 Aug 17:59
| Home | Away
Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS
1 Chelsea 3 1 1 0 5 1 1 0 0 1 0 5 7
2 Liverpool 3 1 0 0 2 1 1 1 0 1 0 2 7
3 Man City 3 1 0 0 3 0 1 0 1 5 4 4 6
4 Arsenal 3 2 0 0 4 0 0 0 1 0 1 3 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 West Ham 3 2 0 0 6 2 0 0 1 0 3 1 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Middlesbrough 3 2 0 0 4 2 0 0 1 1 2 1 6
7 Aston Villa 3 1 1 0 4 2 0 0 1 2 3 1 4
8 Bolton 3 1 1 0 3 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 4
9 Man Utd 2 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 4
10 Blackburn 3 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 4 6 -2 4
11 Newcastle 3 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 4 -2 4
12 Hull 3 1 0 1 2 6 0 1 0 1 1 -4 4
13 Wigan 3 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 6 2 3 3
14 Fulham 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 2 0 3
15 Stoke 3 1 0 0 3 2 0 0 2 2 5 -2 3
16 Portsmouth 3 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 3 4 -2 3
17 Everton 3 0 0 2 2 6 1 0 0 2 1 -3 3

18 Sunderland 3 0 0 2 0 4 1 0 0 2 1 -3 3
19 Tottenham 3 0 0 1 1 2 0 1 1 2 3 -2 1
20 West Brom 3 0 0 1 1 2 0 1 1 0 1 -2 1

:wink:
Early days yet I know DC but still to be convinced after the money they have spent.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

I can't help but buy into the line that Nani doesn't want Bilic for fear of being forced out (and maybe the same goes for Laudrup)

horse leading the cart!
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

wivenhoetim wrote: :wink:
Early days yet I know DC but still to be convinced after the money they have spent.
Cheeky :lol:

I've actually said in previous posts that I think Sunderland will finish around 13th but I've been impressed with Keane as a man and manager and will go on to better things I'm sure :wink:
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

I thought I'd have a look on a Bristol City forum to see if there is any speculation about Johnson - there is a three-page thread on it but the majority seem confident he will stay.

They defend Curbishley a bit and also seem to think most West Ham fans would turn their noses up at Johnson - as supported by a few quotes plucked from another West Ham forum. On the contrary though, I would love it if we had him as manager. Also passes the four syllable test. Won't happen though!

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105277&st=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

They've just interviewed some fans outside UP on SSNs.......The final one is hilarious, he wants DI Canio because of the way he played in the charity game last night :lol: :lol: :lol:
jon253

Post by jon253 »

None of the above! Zola, no experience, Billic no club and limited International experience, Laudrup exciting teams but not WHU and Donadoni boring Italian football. Defensive minded, keep ball at back zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

HAH wrote: So, actually you have got no information or knowledge, but you do have an opinion?

Donadoni did manage at club level, only not with the biggest clubs. Laudrup managed Getafe who were a joy to watch in the Primera Division and UEFA Cup, giving Bayern Munich the scare of their life with there attacking style in the QF.
My point was that I admit I have limited knowledge of the candidates. Not enough to form an opinion strong enough to vote

And I was kind of saying that none of them have a record that instantly makes you feel they would be a success. None of them have done anything that makes me feel they would undoubtedly do well in the PL. So going on that limited info, my opinion is more of a gut feeling than anything deeply reasoned

Bilic has done very well with Croatia-how that would transfer to manging us, I don't know, but my gut feeling is that he could do well

Laudrup, well his Getafe side did just about register on my radar, and I remember them doing well in Europe. And from what I've read since his name was linked he sounds like he could do a good job

Donadoni, never really registered until he managed Italy. Can't say I was impressed with his side

And Zola is a complete unknown, in terms of management, despite his brilliance as a player

So the latter 2, I'm struggling to feel positive about (that's not saying both are no good, just that I have no evidence that either will do well at West Ham). The former 2 I can at least see some positives that they might bring to West Ham, but even so I've no idea how well either would take to the PL
Ironball wrote:horse leading the cart!
Shouldn't that be cart leading the horse?! :think:

As you'd normally expect the horse to lead the cart (except at West Ham!)
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 476 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

To be honest I'd be interested in seeing what any of them do at UP. Bilic was my vote, Laudrup seems very good too. Not really that fussed.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Laudrup admits he is more likely to go to Spartak Moscow than West Ham:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 661432.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

davids cross wrote: I suspect the owners (spits) disagree that West Ham doesn't need its profile raising I suspect they think it does. Big names attract bigger players (when we get some money) thats the way it works. If you had the chance to meet Zola and work for him or Big Fat Sam or David Moyes and work for them I suspect most foreign players young and old would choose to work with Zola without a second glance to the other two very capable managers..........All managers of WHU will be using it as a stepping stone so that doesn't enter my thinking..........Anyone of these wil be a risk, no managerial appointment is without risk but the contenders though inexperienced are top quality people. You could have labelled the same accusation at Roy Keane who has quickly and clearly proved he was an excellent appointment.
Fair comment... :D but I have some suspicions about any intention to "attract bigger players". And the players Keane has attracted (in the main) aren't really in the Ronaldinho bracket!
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

the jury is out on Keane,

Spend a hell of a lot of money ( whilst berating others for doing so ) and achieved the result of keeping Sunderland up.

Out of interest, genuinely, what makes Keane a good manager?
joyful

Post by joyful »

[quote]Out of interest, genuinely, what makes Keane a good manager?
[/quote]

terror?